Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ms data science for 15k
(12-07-2023, 09:13 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Pretty affordable master data sciience from University Of Pittsburgh link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnie...-coursera/

What exactly is the job description of someone with a degree in data science?
(12-10-2023, 09:52 PM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(12-07-2023, 09:13 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Pretty affordable master data sciience from University Of Pittsburgh link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnie...-coursera/

What exactly is the job description of someone with a degree in data science?

Data Science is a huge subfield, some Comp Science programs now have it as a concentration to select from. It really depends on what you're wanting to do, there are other very similar routes people go, AI, Big Data, Business Intelligence, Data Analytics, Data Science, Machine Language, and a mix of various others.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-10-2023, 09:42 PM)Yizy Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 05:02 PM)fmsoa Wrote: Online MS in CS or DS from Colorado-Boulder also charges about $15K and no CS or DS background required. Issue I had with them is the 30 1-credit-hour courses approach. Some folks may like it but I find it too fragmented.

Boulder now charges $15,750 USD. So Pitts outcompetes marginally price-wise. Admission-wise, both are performance-based but Pitts assumes absolutely no knowledge and incorporates basic maths and programming into the program. Boulder, conversely, recommends students take three free prerequisite classes before enrolling.

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I'm currently doing research into DS online masters.

An important distinction is that Pitt is NOT solely performance-based as they do require a regionally accredited bachelor's degree, while UC Boulder does not. (confirmed by myself  via email to Pitt). As my Bachelors in CS is only nationally accredited, sadly, I won't be allowed to enroll there.

As I bumped the thread, I guess I will ask for some updated opinions of people here:

Are there any $15k-ish online masters in Data Science options that people suggest I look into?
You could check with the University below:
https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...ta-science

They’re around 10K-11K.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • dutchdragon
dutchdragon Wrote:Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I'm currently doing research into DS online masters.

An important distinction is that Pitt is NOT solely performance-based as they do require a regionally accredited bachelor's degree, while UC Boulder does not. (confirmed by myself  via email to Pitt). As my Bachelors in CS is only nationally accredited, sadly, I won't be allowed to enroll there.

As I bumped the thread, I guess I will ask for some updated opinions of people here:

Are there any $15k-ish online masters in Data Science options that people suggest I look into?

There are so many options to select from, I highly recommend taking some time reviewing posts, threads, WIKI, and making a short list of programs, here's an example from earlier in the month, I've linked the user to many more posts/threads of mine, you want to review links here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-from-TESU
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • dutchdragon
(04-16-2024, 11:00 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
dutchdragon Wrote:Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I'm currently doing research into DS online masters.

There are so many options to select from, I highly recommend taking some time reviewing posts, threads, WIKI, and making a short list of programs, here's an example from earlier in the month, I've linked the user to many more posts/threads of mine, you want to review links here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-from-TESU

Amazing. I will definitely review the thread. :-) TY
(04-16-2024, 11:06 AM)dutchdragon Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 11:00 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

Amazing. I will definitely review the thread. :-) TY

Hey Dutchdragon, no need to apologize for bumping an old thread. Actually, thank you for doing it. I think it's the only thread with CU Boulder MS Data Science as a focus.

I enrolled in my first course there two weeks ago! I did consider the other schools like Pitt (because it's Top 50). I don't know if you're aware, but Boulder (a flagship state school) is considered an elite school among tech employers. Their engineering school is ranked 19 by US News. Pitt is known more for their medical school while Boulder for engineering. I think data science is more on the engineering side due to the programming and math. Also, one other thing that swayed my decision is that you can enroll in just one unit. The time limit is 8 years, but I figure if I go at an easy pace of 1 unit per term, I'll be done in 5 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ifomonay's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(06-03-2024, 03:24 AM)ifomonay Wrote: Hey Dutchdragon, no need to apologize for bumping an old thread. Actually, thank you for doing it. I think it's the only thread with CU Boulder MS Data Science as a focus.

I enrolled in my first course there two weeks ago! I did consider the other schools like Pitt (because it's Top 50). I don't know if you're aware, but Boulder (a flagship state school) is considered an elite school among tech employers. Their engineering school is ranked 19 by US News. Pitt is known more for their medical school while Boulder for engineering. I think data science is more on the engineering side due to the programming and math. Also, one other thing that swayed my decision is that you can enroll in just one unit. The time limit is 8 years, but I figure if I go at an easy pace of 1 unit per term, I'll be done in 5 years.

Hi Ifomonay,
I'm currently considering one of 2 options: UC Boulder or the slightly cheaper (9900 USD) and shorter (10 months) Masters @ Eastern University.
I am trying to weigh if the added credibility (and time commitment) of a school is worth the extra 5k to me.

I still have some time before I need to decide.

Which pathway are you taking at UC? Data structures or Statistical Inference?
You brought up an excellent point. Five grand is five grand, which is a lot of money. In fact, let me tell you what I did. I wanted to switch to a machine learning career. I originally enrolled in the MSDS program at Eastern. After completing six courses I was really disappointed. The courses were just too easy (100% in every course), and I wasn't learning anything. So then I questioned whether I wanted to spend another $4k there to complete the degree or use the money to help pay for the OMSCS program at GT instead, which is what I did.

I still want to do a Data Science Master's, so I started the Data Structures pathway at CU, but the first course was way too demanding (be careful what you wish for, right?). It's like they jammed in 3 units worth of work in 1 unit. I dropped it and instead switched to the Statistical Inference Pathway.

I also considered the Master of Data Science at Illinois Tech on Coursera. If you do some Coursera Specializations, you can get credit for up to 6 units and get the Master's for about $12,300. Performance-based, no application, no transcripts, just need Bachelor's. But with CU, the 1-unit granularity, being an AAU school, and more recognized here out West (I'm in Cali), I'm going to attempt the CU program first.
(06-09-2024, 03:22 AM)ifomonay Wrote: You brought up an excellent point. Five grand is five grand, which is a lot of money. In fact, let me tell you what I did. I wanted to switch to a machine learning career. I originally enrolled in the MSDS program at Eastern. After completing six courses I was really disappointed. The courses were just too easy (100% in every course), and I wasn't learning anything. So then I questioned whether I wanted to spend another $4k there to complete the degree or use the money to help pay for the OMSCS program at GT instead, which is what I did.

I still want to do a Data Science Master's, so I started the Data Structures pathway at CU, but the first course was way too demanding (be careful what you wish for, right?). It's like they jammed in 3 units worth of work in 1 unit. I dropped it and instead switched to the Statistical Inference Pathway.

I also considered the Master of Data Science at Illinois Tech on Coursera. If you do some Coursera Specializations, you can get credit for up to 6 units and get the Master's for about $12,300. Performance-based, no application, no transcripts, just need Bachelor's. But with CU, the 1-unit granularity, being an AAU school, and more recognized here out West (I'm in Cali), I'm going to attempt the CU program first.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You have given me much to think about. (I actually already have those coursera certs to transfer to Illinois).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 304 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  University of the Cumberlands - Masters in Data Science dleewo 0 166 10-09-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: dleewo
  European Center for Education in Business and Science (ECEBiS) Travis_CVUgrad 4 573 10-06-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: jumpergranular
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 11 3,113 10-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: spohara
  New Boston U MS Data Science $25K smartdegree 10 1,088 09-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Georgia Tech Master of Science in Analytics Kjnova 2 565 08-05-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Online Masters in Computer Science + thesis? swellguy 14 2,095 07-24-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UK Level 7 Diploma OTHM Diploma in Data Science Imbanewbie 1 518 06-25-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Clemson University online Master of Science in Computer Science (Coursera) frankc 5 1,195 06-17-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 1,338 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia