Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Ms data science for 15k - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Ms data science for 15k (/Thread-Ms-data-science-for-15k)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Ms data science for 15k - Imbanewbie - 12-07-2023

Pretty affordable master data sciience from University Of Pittsburgh link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2023/12/06/university-of-pittsburgh-to-offer-a-15000-master-of-data-science-on-coursera/

RE: Ms data science for 15k - Vle045 - 12-07-2023

(12-07-2023, 09:13 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Pretty affordable master data sciience from University Of Pittsburgh link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2023/12/06/university-of-pittsburgh-to-offer-a-15000-master-of-data-science-on-coursera/

Interesting to see this on Coursera.  I do wish it were just a bit cheaper. But still a good option.

RE: Ms data science for 15k - bjcheung77 - 12-07-2023

There are a few available, you may want to review the graduate area in both boards and check for ones that are within your price range, usually you want to look at the public/state institutions first and some are even flag ship options. Then there are the ones with Coursera and Edx, etc...

RE: Ms data science for 15k - Pats20 - 12-07-2023

Pretty reasonable for a top 50 school, also for non stem backgrounds.

RE: Ms data science for 15k - sialiblo - 12-08-2023

Good to see UPitt again in this space, previously they provided transcript for courses from Outlier.org.

RE: Ms data science for 15k - mcjon77 - 12-09-2023

It's amazing to see how many affordable data science masters degrees have popped up over the past few years.

I was looking for a program back in 2020 and the only ones that had reasonable prices were Eastern University with their brand new program and Georgia Tech with their omsa, both programs for $10,000 (but the omsa would take him hell of a lot longer).

Now there's so many options that would have actually been hard for me to make a decision on which one to choose. They're now multiple solid state universities offering Masters degrees in data science for under $20,000. We live in a great time for distance education.

RE: Ms data science for 15k - Yizy - 12-10-2023

I believe now this is the best Data Science master's program for people who have zero or close to none background. There are a few others like that but this one is among the cheapest.

RE: Ms data science for 15k - fmsoa - 12-10-2023

(12-09-2023, 11:05 PM)mcjon77 Wrote: It's amazing to see how many affordable data science masters degrees have popped up over the past few years.

I was looking for a program back in 2020 and the only ones that had reasonable prices were Eastern University with their brand new program and Georgia Tech with their omsa, both programs for $10,000 (but the omsa would take him hell of a lot longer).

Now there's so many options that would have actually been hard for me to make a decision on which one to choose.  They're now multiple solid state universities offering Masters degrees in data science for under $20,000.  We live in a great time for distance education.

I think there are 2 reasons for the reasonable price tag:
1) Competition. Colleges raced to the new blue sea that is data science
2) The relative ease of forming a data science faculty. As there are no data science PhD until recently, anyone with a PhD who works with data (which is just about everybody) can teach data science courses. Case in point: Program director at Eastern University had his PhD in Psychology

Outside of data science-related masters (such as DS and CS) and MBA, most establishment colleges still charge a ransom for regular online masters program. For example, GT charges me less than $7,000 for OMSCS but almost $35,000 for an engineering MS

(12-10-2023, 03:40 PM)Yizy Wrote: I believe now this is the best Data Science master's program for people who have zero or close to none background. There are a few others like that but this one is among the cheapest.

Online MS in CS or DS from Colorado-Boulder also charges about $15K and no CS or DS background required. Issue I had with them is the 30 1-credit-hour courses approach. Some folks may like it but I find it too fragmented.

RE: Ms data science for 15k - Pats20 - 12-10-2023

(12-10-2023, 03:40 PM)Yizy Wrote: I believe now this is the best Data Science master's program for people who have zero or close to none background. There are a few others like that but this one is among the cheapest.
This ^^^^^. 
For $5k more you get the brand and alumni network. It would be even better if it was in 8 week course format.

RE: Ms data science for 15k - Yizy - 12-10-2023

(12-10-2023, 05:02 PM)fmsoa Wrote: Online MS in CS or DS from Colorado-Boulder also charges about $15K and no CS or DS background required. Issue I had with them is the 30 1-credit-hour courses approach. Some folks may like it but I find it too fragmented.

Boulder now charges $15,750 USD. So Pitts outcompetes marginally price-wise. Admission-wise, both are performance-based but Pitts assumes absolutely no knowledge and incorporates basic maths and programming into the program. Boulder, conversely, recommends students take three free prerequisite classes before enrolling.