Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA at Eastern University or Hellenic American University?
Question 
Hi, would really love to hear any feedback from any experience with either of these programs? 

I have evaluated MBA programs from Eastern University, WGU, LSUS, Fitchburg State University, Longwood University, South Georgia State Univeristy, Univeristy of Texas PB, and most recently started looking into Hellenic American Univeristy. 

All seem very good and comparable, but most on the list have something that stands out that does not fit with my criteria. Mostly that I want a program that will be self-paced and a bit portable (30 credits is enough for me / don't want something overloaded with prerequisite primer courses). Also, I don't plan on attending concurrently. Summers are for fishing and barbeques. 

The only thing I kind of don't care for with the EA MBA (and it's minor) is that the degree is an MBA in Organizational Management. It's not a terrible designation but would rather have the raw degree title. Again, not a show stopper. I do like that they are self-paced and portable for starting / stopping and can adjust my load based on my own timelines. Price is fair and they are not loading up 3-4 MBA for dummies courses because I don't have an undergrade business degree. 

Hellenic American University is also very appealing as they are 30 minutes from my home (in NH) and being able to do in-person classes would be nice. Price seems awesome but also kind of scary that they offer it at this price too and wonder if they are just trying to push fore more graduates or are they in survival mode?

Lastly, I am riding the fence right now betwen an MBA from one of these schools vs quickly banging out an MS degree from WGU just to lay claim to a graduate status. I'm 101% certain that I can do this in under a term. I know.. my goals/what's may plan, budget, career strategy, etc.. However, my biggest goal is to get a graduate degree sooner than later within a reasonable budget. Already have 2 tech undergrad degrees  (computer science and cybersecurity). An MBA sounds like the right balance to my resume / career. Hence, I'm leaning in this direction but also close to throwing my hands up and just doing the MS degree. 

Do you need an undegraduate degree? 100% NO. Your experience will do way more for you than any school can. 

Will you get picked from a pile of 600+ resumes if all of the apple shaped bachelor degrees are the same but of the 600, 150-200 have a masters degree? Likely not. Mary from HR or an application tracking system are going to sort them for the hiring manager and Mary was taught that a double-cheeseburger is better than a single, no matter how it was cooked or the quality of the ingredients.
(12-13-2022, 02:49 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote: Hellenic American University is also very appealing as they are 30 minutes from my home (in NH) and being able to do in-person classes would be nice. Price seems awesome but also kind of scary that they offer it at this price too and wonder if they are just trying to push fore more graduates or are they in survival mode?

They apparently got some sort of grant/endowment (from an alum?) to be able to offer degrees at a discounted rate. The price could go back to normal at any time. It was supposed to go back to standard tuition about a year ago, IIRC, but they got more money in the MBA pot to be able to continue. From what others have said, it's not that HAU is in survival mode, it's that they're (likely) using the American MBA as a loss-leader to attract more Greek/European students to their Greek campus.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The HAU online MBA is $3K. The $3K is due to special funding they have received. I don't think that price applies to the in person program. It's not self paced. Self paced is a CBE program like WGU. If you want to do both an MBA and the MSML from WGU then the MBA from WGU is definitely the thing to do as there are several courses that cross over and you won't have to repeat them. If you complete a MBA elsewhere and then want the MSML, you will have to repeat those courses because WGU doesn't accept transfer credit for the business master's degree programs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch
(12-13-2022, 02:49 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote: Summers are for fishing and barbeques. 

Ya, I feel the same.

(12-13-2022, 02:49 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote: I am riding the fence right now betwen an MBA from one of these schools vs quickly banging out an MS degree from WGU just to lay claim to a graduate status. I'm 101% certain that I can do this in under a term.

I'm in the same boat as you trying to figure out if I want to do something in-state, get a quick degree, or try to find something prestige in some way.

(12-13-2022, 02:49 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote: Mary from HR or an application tracking system are going to sort them for the hiring manager and Mary was taught that a double-cheeseburger is better than a single, no matter how it was cooked or the quality of the ingredients.

That is similar to my analysis in that a master's degree will help you get more interviews, help you negotiate a higher salary, and put you at the top of the list for promotions. The ROI can be pretty good.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I have a family member in the HAU MBA program (will finish 2023). Summers have not been required, but they did take course(s) last summer. Being you're so close to them I would email them that you're looking at the program, and want to know if there would be an opportunity to take in person courses as part of the program. As far as the reduced cost for US students, I have reason to believe they are offering it to boost their domestic student count. It is a US RA school, but it seems a large majority of their students are international (many from Greece - not surprising as Hellenic literally means Greek).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(12-13-2022, 03:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote: ....If you want to do both an MBA and the MSML from WGU then the MBA from WGU is definitely the thing to do as there are several courses that cross over and you won't have to repeat them. If you complete a MBA elsewhere and then want the MSML, you will have to repeat those courses because WGU doesn't accept transfer credit for the business master's degree programs.

I kind of only want one graduate degree. ..but if I do two, it will be an MS in Cybersecurity (from WGU) and then an MBA from somewhere else and in less of a rush. Let's face it, WGU is great but the value is also associated with speed so if you want to slow down, the devil is in the time you take. 

On the flip side, the MS in Cyber is so appealing to me right now as they used my CISSP to waive 2 of the 9 classes so I will only have 6 plus the capstone to complete. I've been studying for the CEH certification exam (in case I do choose this program) which is the objective for one of the classes so that when/if I start on January 1, I would hopefully just schedule the exam upon starting and get that out of the way within the first few days. 

However, I would also like a challenge and think that an MBA may be more of a challenge to me. Even though I have been in management/leadership for a LONG time, I'm sure it will be more of a challenge for me. 

Thinking more and more that maybe the best course is to do the MS degree now and continue to explore / research the HAU degree or even LSUS. My hold up with LSUS was that they wanted every transcript from every college level class I have ever taken. One of the schools I attended was going to be an issue.

(12-13-2022, 05:18 PM)allvia Wrote: I have a family member in the HAU MBA program (will finish 2023). ...

Do they like the program?
HAU MBA candidate here. Regionally accredited, great value, no proctored tests, Case studies, and PowerPoint presentations, wonderful people to deal with. Started Jan 31, 2022, finishing by May 2023. Three courses left to go. Highly recommend. If you want fast (as you have stated), no question, WGU. I am in no hurry and have had the best experience.

MBA, magna cum laude,  Hellenic American University 
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University
ASBA, Thomas Edison State University
Associate of Arts,  Thomas Edison State University
Business Management/Industrial Relations,  Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Mortgage Brokerage Licensing(MBABC),  Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia
[-] The following 2 users Like bmac66's post:
  • jch, Vle045
(12-13-2022, 07:21 PM)bmac66 Wrote: HAU MBA candidate here. Regionally accredited, great value, no proctored tests, Case studies, and PowerPoint presentations, wonderful people to deal with. Started Jan 31, 2022, finishing by May 2023. Three courses left to go. Highly recommend. If you want fast (as you have stated), no question, WGU. I am in no hurry and have had the best experience.

Can you tell us about the paper writing?  Like, are there tyically long papers for any of the classes?
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
(12-13-2022, 08:26 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(12-13-2022, 07:21 PM)bmac66 Wrote: HAU MBA candidate here. Regionally accredited, great value, no proctored tests, Case studies, and PowerPoint presentations, wonderful people to deal with. Started Jan 31, 2022, finishing by May 2023. Three courses left to go. Highly recommend. If you want fast (as you have stated), no question, WGU. I am in no hurry and have had the best experience.

Can you tell us about the paper writing?  Like, are there tyically long papers for any of the classes?

Varies from class to class. Some have 1-2 papers of 1500-2000 words others have a single 10,000-word paper which is very reasonable as long as you manage your time efficiently. The final thesis in the capstone may be 20,000+ words (confirm with the Dean). Please see the helpful thread below that may address any other questions you may have.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersity-HAU

Here is the Deans email. Please get in touch with her. Consider it part of your due diligence. 

mmartin@hauniv.edu

Quote:
Quote:Marieke Martin, ABD
Dean and Executive Director 

Hellenic American University
436 Amherst St. Suite 200
Nashua, NH 03063, USA
Tel: 603-577-8700
www.hauniv.edu

MBA, magna cum laude,  Hellenic American University 
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University
ASBA, Thomas Edison State University
Associate of Arts,  Thomas Edison State University
Business Management/Industrial Relations,  Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Mortgage Brokerage Licensing(MBABC),  Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia
[-] The following 1 user Likes bmac66's post:
  • jch
(12-13-2022, 06:56 PM)BostonBeanMan Wrote:
(12-13-2022, 05:18 PM)allvia Wrote: I have a family member in the HAU MBA program (will finish 2023). ...

Do they like the program?

They are very pleased with their choice. They are also located in the southern New England area. Their undergrad degree isn't in business, but they are now in management. The goal was to get the business education on their resume, this MBA does just that - at a price that really can't be beat. They have described the program as challenging but not too difficult; all depends on the course subject/professor. Part of the challenge (and also one of the best features) is the short 7 week class schedule; they have learned a lot, and expect the ROI to be quite significant. Just being a MBA candidate anywhere accredited (RA) has already gained them more than they've spent on the entire degree plus some.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • BostonBeanMan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to University of the People (UoPeople) spree610 19 664 5 hours ago
Last Post: newdegree
  Walden University CJ Master's dm.hans32 1 127 09-03-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Your experience at California Coast University? Interested in $21k doctorate. effexbiz 32 1,541 09-01-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Heartstrings
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 30 4,279 08-22-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: klone
  American College of Education - Master's ashkir 21 2,603 08-03-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 132 21,634 08-03-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: wow
  IEU Universidad: another online Mexican university Avidreader 0 319 08-02-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Wilmington University MSCS Jonathan Whatley 3 486 07-17-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Global Business University Atoshi 3 507 07-01-2024, 12:18 PM
  University of West Georgia - MS Applied Business Analytics smartdegree 6 854 07-01-2024, 11:42 AM