Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Your experience at California Coast University? Interested in $21k doctorate.
Hi and thanks for stopping by! I am on the hunt, like many of us, for super affordable, remote doctorate degrees. I don't need the degree, but I want one for myself and my own credentials. My area is business that focuses on publishing for children. I'm mostly hoping to find degrees like a DBA or PhD in Business, but I found my way to this school https://www.calcoast.edu/ed.d.-doctor-of...rship.html California Coast University. $320 a unit for 66 units for an EdD in Organizational Leadership...well, the price is attractive and the degree is aligned enough to what I do in a sense I can make it work. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Also welcoming any recs on programs to consider. I did also look at UofCumberlands but they're up to 36k which, as another underpaid pub professional (tongue in cheek, I LOVE my work, though I'm aware we have a rep for being low paid lol), is a huge chunk of my salary. 

Thanks!
I have no experience with California Coastal so cannot speak to that program. Having said that, my preference would be for an RA doctorate rather than an NA (like Cal Coastal), particularly given that there are established RA state universities like Valdosta State, University of Arkansas, and Central Arkansas (to name just 3 that offer leadership EdDs/PhDs at basically the same cost as that degree you mentioned.

Of course, if NA vs RA doesn’t matter for you, you can certainly disregard my opinion as it is merely that.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • allvia, Vle045
I’ve looked into them a while back. A coworker is doing a masters there. I wasn’t impressed. When I called to inquire, I didn’t find them to be very professional. The courses are set up where you just read books and write papers. I don’t learn well that way.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
Basically, I agree with freeloader, one of our members currently enrolled in the Central Arkansas PhD program, here's the 3 concentrations you can decide from: https://uca.edu/phdleadership/ and another option is from ACE.edu, they have several EDS and EDD programs available with various concentrations. https://ace.edu/degree-programs/doctoral-degrees/
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I at one point had considered Calcoast for the EdD in Educational Psychology but when I researched further it seems they are a little behind on their distance education teaching strategies. I think you have to mail in your work and your quizzes. Plus, you have to go in-person for the dissertation defense. Those were put offs for me for a distance education program.
I personally don't have any experience with CCU, but I know someone who did their bachelors there and then went on and did a Master's at UCLA. If UCLA recognizes their degrees then it can't be bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ifomonay's post:
  • effexbiz
(08-24-2024, 03:57 PM)Heartstrings Wrote: I at one point had considered Calcoast for the EdD in Educational Psychology but when I researched further it seems they are a little behind on their distance education teaching strategies. I think you have to mail in your work and your quizzes. Plus, you have to go in-person for the dissertation defense. Those were put offs for me for a distance education program.

I'm going to send them an email and ask about this! That would not be ideal, lol. I am on the other end of the country. Thanks!
(08-24-2024, 03:57 PM)Heartstrings Wrote: I at one point had considered Calcoast for the EdD in Educational Psychology but when I researched further it seems they are a little behind on their distance education teaching strategies. I think you have to mail in your work and your quizzes. Plus, you have to go in-person for the dissertation defense. Those were put offs for me for a distance education program.
You have to go in person one time for a dissertation defense? Oh my whaaaaaaaat a burden….

I feel like this sub is ridiculously out of touch sometimes. 99% of PhDs are in person every day for 5-7 years but a one time trip is a bridge too far.
(08-25-2024, 08:41 AM)Duneranger Wrote:
You have to go in person one time for a dissertation defense? Oh my whaaaaaaaat a burden….

I feel like this sub is ridiculously out of touch sometimes. 99% of PhDs are in person every day for 5-7 years but a one time trip is a bridge too far.

Well, this thread isn't really for this particular discussion, it's for CCU experiences/info sniffing, but I can confess that I am most interested in a remote experience, hence why I am looking into remote programs and ultimately, paying the price for it. Personally, one trip is a huge deal for me because I have a few physical and associated mental disabilities that require more than one care assistant. That takes hopping on a plane across the country into a big deal for me and sadly, an expensive one. I'm very lucky that I managed to get a fully remote job that allows me to work from home and I consider myself very lucky to be alive in a time where there are alternative programs available with remote work. Besides, these are not traditional doctorates in the sense that you'd be compensated for research, etc, so at the end of the day, a lot of them have a price tag for the credential and its convenience. One trip for most people would not be a huge deal and if they are able, I would encourage them to go in person and enjoy the experience of a defense proper. For me, I will be inquiring more and making a decision based on what is virtually possible.
(08-25-2024, 09:53 AM)effexbiz Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 08:41 AM)Duneranger Wrote:

Well, this thread isn't really for this particular discussion, it's for CCU experiences/info sniffing, but I can confess that I am most interested in a remote experience, hence why I am looking into remote programs and ultimately, paying the price for it. Personally, one trip is a huge deal for me because I have a few physical and associated mental disabilities that require more than one care assistant. That takes hopping on a plane across the country into a big deal for me and sadly, an expensive one. I'm very lucky that I managed to get a fully remote job that allows me to work from home and I consider myself very lucky to be alive in a time where there are alternative programs available with remote work. Besides, these are not traditional doctorates in the sense that you'd be compensated for research, etc, so at the end of the day, a lot of them have a price tag for the credential and its convenience. One trip for most people would not be a huge deal and if they are able, I would encourage them to go in person and enjoy the experience of a defense proper. For me, I will be inquiring more and making a decision based on what is virtually possible.
You do what is best for you. Nobody is making the poster sit here and read these posts they are just being a troll. There are some weird people on this site. I have had some strange interactions with people here within the past week so I am thinking of limiting my time here. I had to respond though. No need to explain your situation. I have health problems too that make traveling impossible too. Plus I am far down in my career to just stop everything to do a campus-based program. I have work, volunteer expectations, and hopefully soon board member responsibilities. I just can't stop life for 5-7 years. I don't even want to be a professor. At this point no one even cares where or how I got my degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to University of the People (UoPeople) spree610 22 1,234 09-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Walden University CJ Master's dm.hans32 1 194 09-03-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 33 4,221 08-31-2024, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Recent NWCU Law experience? txc1500 1 429 08-27-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: MFG
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 30 4,377 08-22-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: klone
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 132 21,818 08-03-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: wow
  IEU Universidad: another online Mexican university Avidreader 0 343 08-02-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Wilmington University MSCS Jonathan Whatley 3 507 07-17-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Global Business University Atoshi 3 530 07-01-2024, 12:18 PM
  University of West Georgia - MS Applied Business Analytics smartdegree 6 867 07-01-2024, 11:42 AM