Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lurker Canadian Gal Looking for A Degree
So, it is finally time to get a degree. I am unsure about what to do or even what degree is worth getting or investing time into. I would like to eventually go so far as to pursue a Masters to up employment/income prospects.

Your Location: British Columbia, Canada

Your Age: 23 in less 2 weeks!

What kind of degree do you want?: Unsure. I am currently doing this program and won't graduate till June of next year. I would like something I can lean on for a job in the event that my daycare business endeavour falls through. I have considered UMPI Psychology, but the prospects with Psych kind of terrify me. 

I would like to do something online, similar to the YourPace structure. I am very tempted and drawn to UMPI Psych - YourPace but open to other suggestions.

I am moving to states in a few years as well, likely to NY State. Will be a Green Card holder at that time.

Current Regional Accredited Credits:

No credits yet. Here is the list of courses which I will be completing by June 2025. The school is curretnly a candidate for ACBSP, and states itself as fully-accredited. I am unsure of what that means.

ENGL 110 - College Composition - 3 credits
ECCE 168 - Observing & Reflecting Practicum I - 2 credits
ECCE 178 - Professional Practice I - 4 credits
ECCE 186 - Child Health & Safety - 3 credits
ECCE 188 - Planning with Young Children I - 4 credits
HSER 174 - Interpersonal Communications - 3 credits
PSYC 100 - Introductory Psychology I - 3 credits
ECCE 169 - Observing and Reflecting Practicum II - 2 credits
ECCE 179 - Professional Practice II - 4 credits
ECCE 189 - Planning with Young Children II - 4 credits
ECCE 193 - Child Centered Partnership I - 4 credits
ECCE 195 -  Practicum I - 4.50 credits
FAM 180 -  Family Dynamics - 3 credits
PSYC 240 - Child Development - 3 credits
ECCE 293 - Child-Centered Partnerships II - 3 credits
ECCE 294 Practicum II - 6 credits

Total Credits: 55.50 credits

I doubt that these will all or even most will be transferrable, fully expecting to have only 6-9 credit hours be transferrable.

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 
None.

Any certifications or military experience? None.

Budget:
$5,000 - $10,000

Commitments:
Full-time employment (40 hours/week), long distance boyfriend I regularly stay in touch with, currently also in school, Church on Sundays. I will not be starting a degree proper until I am done this program I am in, but I have no issue signing up with Sophia or Study.com and banging out credits that way in the interim.

Dedicated time to study:
5-10 hours/week

Timeline: As fast as possible. 6 months to a year.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement:
None, will pay out of pocket.
Have you considered UMPI's BLS with an Educational Studies Minor? And UMPI will most likely give you credit for most of those courses not just 6-9 credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • allvia
(10-08-2024, 06:05 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Have you considered UMPI's BLS with an Educational Studies  Minor? And UMPI will most likely give you credit for most of those courses not just 6-9 credits.

I actually have not! I don't think I even saw this in the YourPace section until you mentioned this. Definitely more my style than a Psych degree. Do you know what kind of Master Degrees I could possibly branch into? Would you also have an idea of the best way to plan to tackle this?

Thank you!
M.Ed., MPA, MSW, MAT, MS in Educational Psychology, MA in Educational Leadership, MBA
Completed:
UMPI: BA Criminal Justice
Pierpont: AAS BOG w/ Emphasis in Information Systems
Sophia: 24 Courses - The CSM Course - ASU: CIS 194 Business Technology Fundamentals
Coursera: Google IT, Google Data Analytics, Google Digital Marketing, IBM Cybersecurity Analyst
[-] The following 1 user Likes slaterjack's post:
  • allvia
And if you wanted to, you can do the UMPI BA Psych with an educational studies minor, or the BLS with educational studies plus psych minors and 3-4 classes that can go towards the UMPI MAOL. You can go into many Masters degrees, as long as you have the prerequisites completed, you do not need a specific degree unless that masters program requires it, they just need whatever those prerequisites are completed. With that cashflow, you can do the UMPI Bachelors (2 sessions $3400) & Masters (2 sessions $4600) and have some cash left over for something...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help for degree planning zyczycccc 0 40 7 hours ago
Last Post: zyczycccc
  Please help for degree planning Rabbitbunny 7 168 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 8 733 Yesterday, 02:54 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 12 900 Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  Another Canadian Student Roxas 0 63 10-14-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Roxas
  UMPI BABA Degree Plan Heeler_Bandit_12OclockLow 4 277 10-14-2024, 01:04 AM
  TESU Liberal Arts Degree; What Study courses to take waterv1 5 277 10-13-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Italian guy looking for US Bachelor Degree Zaknir 6 416 10-08-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Help with degree planning nuit001 2 221 10-07-2024, 11:21 PM
  List of schools that will waive Gen Ed for second bachelor's degree seekers azmusic 4 723 10-07-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: azmusic