Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to complete 12 Sophia courses with min 97% per course in 3 months?
BTW, for ACE credits the bulk of the institutions will take it at face value of 70%, only a handful will require more, 80% for COSC and 81.5 for UMass Global (previously Brandman). If you're going for a non competitive Masters later on, they don't really need to be over that 82%, but if you're going for a more competitive or semi-competitive, keep that in mind you want to do better overall. I shoot for 90% or higher in all my ACE credit course but will always settle for 80+.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
Depending on the field you are thinking of for your master's degree, there are probably many schools that won't care about how well you did on your Sophia courses. Most graduate programs that I am aware of, admissions is handled by the department, not the school admissions. Though most schools will require that you pass through the school's admissions/registrar's office, this is generally a formality where someone reviews your transcript to make sure it meets the general undergraduate requirements.

The department reviewing your application for graduate studies will, in most cases, be a lot more interested in you as a person than they will in what specific grades you got for ACE credits on your transcript. If you applied to a highly competitive program at a competitive school, these things might come into play, but outside of that, most graduate faculty are looking for dedicated students that will represent the school well as graduates, and people who are committed to learning and to the field.

Perhaps you are focusing on a particular field or school where this is an important criteria, but if not, earning 97% on everything is not something I would worry about. And if it is... it should absolutely be achievable with Sophia if you put the effort in.
(09-07-2023, 02:53 PM)LevelUP Wrote: SL does open book as well. As with anything, what you learn and retain is about your process. I wouldn't blame the provider. - SOME SL courses are open book, some are not.

(09-07-2023, 12:07 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't study.com more respected than Sophia (by grad schools).

In term of trustworthiness:
Clep and DSST > Study.com > Straighterline > Saylor Academy > Sophia

CLEP, you can pass by answering around 50% of the questions correctly, hardly a mastery of a subject, though CLEPs are accepted by most colleges. -

The "50%" number is not true - there is no way to know exactly what percentage you need on a CLEP exam, because they're scaled scores and the formula is not published.  It's definitely not 50% though.

Also, I would not say that MOST colleges accept CLEP - I would say that SOME accept CLEP, and many of those only accept a limited number of CLEP exams, and many require higher scores as well.

Then there's the cohort that only brings them in as a waiver for requirements - like if you pass the CLEP Spanish exam, you may opt to take Spanish 3 - but you won't get credit for the CLEP exam.

I can't speak for every school, but at least for TESU ACE credits are listed on the transcript together, and you can't tell if something was taken at SL, Study.com, Salyor, or Sophia. CLEPs were listed separately.

If a grad school wants to see your ACE/NCCRS credits, they MAY request your ACE/NCCRS transcripts - but I don't think most do.  They normally look at your package as a whole, and don't spend a LOT of time looking at your individual grades/scores.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-12-2023, 12:12 PM)dfrecore Wrote: [quote pid='402511' dateline='1694116432']
If a grad school wants to see your ACE/NCCRS credits, they MAY request your ACE/NCCRS transcripts - but I don't think most do.  They normally look at your package as a whole, and don't spend a LOT of time looking at your individual grades/scores.

[/quote]
What do you mean by "your package as a whole"?
Whole package means your degree, your work experience, your letters of recommendation, etc. In general, most individual classes play little to no part in this. Exceptions for programs that specifically want certain classes to be on your transcript.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-13-2023, 06:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Whole package means your degree, your work experience, your letters of recommendation, etc. In general, most individual classes play little to no part in this. Exceptions for programs that specifically want certain classes to be on your transcript.
I see.

Unrelated question:

Is it true that I can't take remote CLEP exams without being in the U.S?
I emailed collegeboard but they didn't respond.
(09-13-2023, 06:49 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 06:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Whole package means your degree, your work experience, your letters of recommendation, etc. In general, most individual classes play little to no part in this. Exceptions for programs that specifically want certain classes to be on your transcript.
I see.

Unrelated question:

You're supposed to be in the US. So, yes, that's unfortunately true: https://clep.collegeboard.org/about-remo...proctoring

I think some students have used a VPN, but doing that carries its own risks.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(09-13-2023, 07:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 06:49 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:
I see.

Unrelated question:

You're supposed to be in the US. So, yes, that's unfortunately true: https://clep.collegeboard.org/about-remo...proctoring

I think some students have used a VPN, but doing that carries its own risks.

That's unfortunate, what a weird requirement.
It is weird. I don't understand why. There is no real good reason, except maybe it's more expensive for the proctors to be familiar with international identification? (I mean, maybe the proctors charge College Board more for that "expertise".)
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
I don't think it has to do with just proctoring, it has to do with a few other things out of their control. People may be in rural areas outside the large cities with spotty internet connections, it's tech issues and limitations being more of the concern. In addition to that, there may be regulations imposed on the college board by the government. I can think of may reasons similar to OnlineDegree.com and WGU not working for non US students...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 158 92,738 Yesterday, 11:35 AM
Last Post: MissRN
  Organizational Behavior in Sophia Kab 13 1,074 Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Last Post: wow
Photo Sophia Final Milestone ID Verification jg_nuy 4 192 09-16-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 176 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,710 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
  Marketing and Criminology on Sophia live homeschoolmom1 20 1,490 09-10-2024, 08:22 PM
  New Sophia Course: Student Succes Kab 3 334 08-28-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 369 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I never did this badly on a Sophia Touchstone before Avidreader 2 509 08-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Proctored Exams Sophia/SL? SebasUSA2024 6 448 08-19-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: SebasUSA2024