Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to complete 12 Sophia courses with min 97% per course in 3 months?
Hi, I'm thinking of doing a public challenge in the coming 3 months.

The challenge is learning and finishing 12 Sophia courses (mostly 100-200 gen eds ones) in 3 months with:
. A minimum of 97% per course
. The same level of mastery as 4.0 student who did those same courses in school
. No cheating (the challenge is not copy-pasting from the textbook efficiently Big Grin )

My time commitment will be 20 to 25 hours a week.

For those of you with experience with Sophia Courses, do you think it's doable?

I don't wanna lose my face Big Grin
Yes, it's possible, if you're not too picky with the grading. If you're going for the 3 months, you should pay for 3 and get the 4th month free. An example (years ago), in 3 months of StraighterLine, I did 30+ courses (a total of 100+ credits), you should be able to do the same amount in 3 months... Invest in a second monitor, not for copy/pasting, but for multi-tasking and review of the course material...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • glammie83, Pikachu
(09-07-2023, 10:37 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, it's possible, if you're not too picky with the grading.  If you're going for the 3 months, you should pay for 3 and get the 4th month free.  An example (years ago), in 3 months of StraighterLine, I did 30+ courses (a total of 100+ credits), you should be able to do the same amount in 3 months... Invest in a second monitor, not for copy/pasting, but for multi-tasking and review of the course material...
But the challenge is a minimum of 97% per course. Big Grin

Also I have a question about the open book nature of Sophia.

I'm very skeptical of it.

Do milestone questions require mastery or can you just pass them by finding where is the answer in the course material?
It depends on the course. The history ones definitely require at least some degree of mastery. For some, like Visual Communications, I don't know. I came into the course(s) with prior knowledge. So I literally didn't need to read the texts for them. I just skimmed for a few things I didn't know already.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
There is no reason to reach a 97% on a Sophia course as they almost always transfer as 'Pass' and have no GPA impact; even those few schools who require more than just the 70 to pass is in the 80s. So although the goal is noble, it is not wide scale motivational. I would even say working that hard on Alt Credits for what generally amounts to LL Gen Ed credits is not a good ROI, both for time or money. Meaning participating in such a challenge could even be detrimental in getting people closer to their goal of a completed bachelor degree.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 3 users Like allvia's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle, ss20ts
(09-07-2023, 11:36 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It depends on the course. The history ones definitely require at least some degree of mastery. For some, like Visual Communications, I don't know. I came into the course(s) with prior knowledge. So I literally didn't need to read the texts for them. I just skimmed for a few things I didn't know already.
It's because of money that I have to do Sophia.
If I had 3k, I would've used study.com for everything Big Grin
There is no good reason to use Study.com for everything these days. Even if one has the money, the courses aren't that different from Sophia's offerings. At least, not the ones with that meet the same requirements. Indeed, that's part of why these gen ed classes are so widely accepted: they're the same as one another and ostensibly the same as what you'd learn if you took an in-person class.

Just as you can pass an in-person class without learning a thing, you can pass a Sophia class without learning a thing. Or you can come out the other side with new knowledge. It's up to the student.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle
(09-07-2023, 11:48 AM)allvia Wrote: There is no reason to reach a 97% on a Sophia course as they almost always transfer as 'Pass' and have no GPA impact; even those few schools who require more than just the 70 to pass is in the 80s.
I'm pretty sure if I get the money and finish my bachelor, the grad schools I'll apply to will ask for all my transcripts
(09-07-2023, 12:01 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 11:48 AM)allvia Wrote: There is no reason to reach a 97% on a Sophia course as they almost always transfer as 'Pass' and have no GPA impact; even those few schools who require more than just the 70 to pass is in the 80s.
I'm pretty sure if I get the money and finish my bachelor, the grad schools I'll apply to will ask for all my transcripts

And the transcripts for Sophia say pass or fail.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, origamishuttle
(09-07-2023, 11:53 AM)rachel83az Wrote: There is no good reason to use Study.com for everything these days. Even if one has the money, the courses aren't that different from Sophia's offerings. At least, not the ones with that meet the same requirements. Indeed, that's part of why these gen ed classes are so widely accepted: they're the same as one another and ostensibly the same as what you'd learn if you took an in-person class.

Just as you can pass an in-person class without learning a thing, you can pass a Sophia class without learning a thing. Or you can come out the other side with new knowledge. It's up to the student.
Yes, I know about the content.
I've looked into both. They're pretty much the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't study.com more respected than Sophia (by grad schools).

In term of trustworthiness:
Clep and DSST > Study.com > Straighterline > Saylor Academy > Sophia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 158 92,811 Yesterday, 11:35 AM
Last Post: MissRN
  Organizational Behavior in Sophia Kab 13 1,086 Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Last Post: wow
Photo Sophia Final Milestone ID Verification jg_nuy 4 196 09-16-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 178 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,733 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
  Marketing and Criminology on Sophia live homeschoolmom1 20 1,490 09-10-2024, 08:22 PM
  New Sophia Course: Student Succes Kab 3 334 08-28-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 371 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I never did this badly on a Sophia Touchstone before Avidreader 2 511 08-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Proctored Exams Sophia/SL? SebasUSA2024 6 451 08-19-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: SebasUSA2024