Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is UMPI a good fit for my case?
Hey all,
I've been lurking, reading, wrestling and trying to figure out if UMPI is better for me than EU to complete my degree. I have to leave my current online degree program because they are winding it down. I have no problem with writing, am very disciplined, generally am able to study as much as I need but I am dyslexic. I have reading/writing software to assist me.

At first I was convinced that EU was the better match because I could get the rest of my LL credits from Sophia and add in the UL from wherever, but after reading on both boards, I'm wondering if UMPI isn't a better match. I'm not thrilled that EU has added that extra fee for TF after admission and I will def. be subject to that fee. Even though I'm not afraid, necessarily, of the capstone, I'm not certain. The language requirements from UMPI seem more daunting than the capstone tbh cuz of the dyslexia. I get that I have to make that decision for myself if the dyslexia is a bigger factor for me with languages.

Feedback would be great as well as some direction on how to proceed with getting the requisite "gen ed" for UMPI if that's the one I'm committing to. I think I am ONLY missing 1 math, 1 ethics, 2 sciences (Biology w/lab, environ. sci.) but am unsure if I need the visual communication or the US govt (all from Sophia). But maybe I am not reading UMPI requirements correctly. Then add the language courses (need 6).

However, with EU I would need quite a bit more to get to the 113. Although it's only another month or two with Sophia it's paying for more UL through some other platform which I'm loathe to do.

And yes, there are credits which will need evaluation from NACES, so I don't want to test out which uni will give me a better combo because, again, more money out of pocket.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Your Location: TX, US.
Your Age: 27
What kind of degree do you want?: History or Liberal Studies

Current International Accredited Credits:  Need evaluation through NACES or some such but they are currently in NA equivalent credit form (not Euro or Asian or UK)

UNYP (part of the SUNY system but international) Total Credits: 12

LIT101 Introduction to Literature, 3, A
Com102 Intercultural Communication 3, A-
ITM104 Computers and Applications, 3, A-
LIT 301 Dramatic Literature, 3, A

Queens University, Kingston (international credits) Total Credits: 30

HIST 126 Evolution of Modern Europe, 6, A-
WRIT 125 Academic Essay Writing, 3, A-
ARTH 120 Art in West Antiquity to Modernity, 6, A-
The following were considered UL as the course of study was a 3 yr as most already get their gen ed in high school.
HIST 200 India and the World, 3, A-
HIST 211 The Cold War, 3, A
HIST 231 WWII, 3, A
HIST 260 Canada – Conquest to the Present, 6, A

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 

Study Credits: 33

Nutrition 101 Science of Nutrition, 3, 87%
Religion 101 Intro to World Religion, 3, 91%
Psychology 101 Intro to Psych, 3 92%
Sociology 101 Intro to Sociology, 3, 87%

Geography 101: Human and Cultural Geography, 3, 91%
Business 106 Human Resource Management, 3, 90%
History 101 Western Civ 1, 3, 92%
History 103 US History I, 3, 96%
History 104 US History II, 3, 91%
History 106 The Civil War and Reconstruction, 3, 87%
History 108 History of the Vietnam War, 3, 93%

Any certifications or military experience? TEFL Cert.

Budget: Cheapest possible I'm on a limited budget.
Commitments: I work part time and have a pet.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed but I have dyslexia. I have no trouble reading/writing though as I have software.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I need to finish within the next 9-12 months.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I qualify for the full Pell.
Take a look at TAMUC: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Te...y-Commerce
They're low-priced for Texas residents (currently $750 per 7 week term, $1000 per 7 week term in the fall) and take a lot of Sophia and Study dot com.

The degree plan below is for the BAAS in Org Leadership, but they also have a BA in General Studies:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 2 users Like jg_nuy's post:
  • RachelB, Vle045
(05-30-2024, 08:51 AM)jg_nuy Wrote: Take a look at TAMUC: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Te...y-Commerce
They're low-priced for Texas residents (currently $750 per 7 week term, $1000 per 7 week term in the fall) and take a lot of Sophia and Study dot com.

The degree plan below is for the BAAS in Org Leadership, but they also have a BA in General Studies:

Thanks! I will check that out.

(05-30-2024, 08:51 AM)jg_nuy Wrote: Take a look at TAMUC: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Te...y-Commerce

It looks like this puts me 24 credits shy of their gen ed plus the 6 UL plus the 30 core for their BAAS if I'm understanding the wiki. I'll put a pin in it and circle back if there isn't a better option. Smile
@qtekia, Welcome to the board, you've got the addendum and template completed with additional info! Great first post, I think you should go the TAMUC route as your first option if the BAAS with different concentrations are what you're alright with. Your second choice should be UMPI and their BLS minors of choice. Third is a tie between EU and TESU, you can transfer more into EU through alternative credits but TESU is my choice.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-30-2024, 09:52 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @qtekia, Welcome to the board, you've got the addendum and template completed with additional info!  Great first post, I think you should go the TAMUC route as your first option if the BAAS with different concentrations are what you're alright with.  Your second choice should be UMPI and their BLS minors of choice.  Third is a tie between EU and TESU, you can transfer more into EU through alternative credits but TESU is my choice.

Thank you for your advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Criminal Justice BA YourPace Program Completed slaterjack 10 834 4 hours ago
Last Post: Bunnies2012
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 30 3,893 Today, 07:12 AM
Last Post: azmusic
  European studying umpi your pace . MuneebAzhar 70 4,351 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kakasahib
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 32 9,330 08-23-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 0 315 08-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 323 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Language requirements at UMPI yc1981 9 919 08-16-2024, 11:08 PM
  Transfer cybersecurity minor/major into UMPI? Robson 11 661 08-16-2024, 12:03 PM
  Need help for UMPI YourPace Admission AnnaVu 6 679 08-16-2024, 11:42 AM
  ENEB to UMPI MAOL? ecdw94 6 535 08-16-2024, 11:24 AM