Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI MAOL
Has anyone recently completed the UMPI MAOL and how was it?  I know that previously I read posts on here indicating that the MAOL was brutal with regard to writing and the amount of pages required.  While I don't mind writing, it isn't my favorite thing to do.  I also realize it is a graduate degree and more writing will be expected, particularly with an Online program.

For background, I previously completed the UMPI BABA - Supply Chain Management.  I completed BUS 440 and 469 at UMPI, which I believe will satisfy part of the requirements for the MAOL.  I also completed BUS 353 at SDC but I'm unsure if that course will count towards graduate credit, I'm thinking that it won't.

I was planning to complete my MBA over the next two years and was accepted at multiple universities including Troy, Auburn, Boston U, etc, unfortunately the company I work for pulled all Tuition Reimbursement so I am now looking for cheaper alternatives that I can self-fund.  I realize that the HAU MBA is the cheapest MBA on the market but if going the MBA route I would only consider AACSB programs.  All that said, the UMPI MAOL seems like a good program to satisfy my current graduate degree itch.
Amberton's MBA programs are ACBSP. AACSB programs are going to be $$$.

For the MAOL, yes it's a lot more writing than the undergrad programs. BUS353 won't be waived in the MAOL because you transferred the course in. They only waive the course if you've completed it at UMPI.
(06-14-2024, 06:45 AM)joshua27 Wrote: Has anyone recently completed the UMPI MAOL and how was it?  I know that previously I read posts on here indicating that the MAOL was brutal with regard to writing and the amount of pages required.  While I don't mind writing, it isn't my favorite thing to do.  I also realize it is a graduate degree and more writing will be expected, particularly with an Online program.

For background, I previously completed the UMPI BABA - Supply Chain Management.  I completed BUS 440 and 469 at UMPI, which I believe will satisfy part of the requirements for the MAOL.  I also completed BUS 353 at SDC but I'm unsure if that course will count towards graduate credit, I'm thinking that it won't.

I was planning to complete my MBA over the next two years and was accepted at multiple universities including Troy, Auburn, Boston U, etc, unfortunately the company I work for pulled all Tuition Reimbursement so I am now looking for cheaper alternatives that I can self-fund.  I realize that the HAU MBA is the cheapest MBA on the market but if going the MBA route I would only consider AACSB programs.  All that said, the UMPI MAOL seems like a good program to satisfy my current graduate degree itch.
It's grad school, you are going to research and write. No getting around that.

Wouldnt rec doing a grad program just satisfy a fix, HIGH chance you'll burn out and lose motivation fast.
(06-14-2024, 10:23 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Amberton's MBA programs are ACBSP. AACSB programs are going to be $$$.

For the MAOL, yes it's a lot more writing than the undergrad programs. BUS353 won't be waived in the MAOL because you transferred the course in. They only waive the course if you've completed it at UMPI.

It looks like Amberton's MBA is about $10,835 (I excluded the cost of textbooks). Meanwhile, you could get an MBA at Pittsburg State University, which is AACSB accredited, for $11,850 -- a fairly negligible difference in cost ($1,015 in Amberton's favor). 

Pittsburg State is not a unicorn, either. You could get an AACSB MBA from Emporia State University for $11,979 or Southeastern Oklahoma State University for $12,420 ($1,144 and $1,585 over Amberton, respectively).

There are others but you get the point. There are quite a few AACSB-accredited universities offering MBAs online that are very comparable in price with Amberton.
(06-14-2024, 08:39 PM)inor Wrote: It looks like Amberton's MBA is about $10,835 (I excluded the cost of textbooks). Meanwhile, you could get an MBA at Pittsburg State University, which is AACSB accredited, for $11,850 -- a fairly negligible difference in cost ($1,015 in Amberton's favor). 

Pittsburg State is not a unicorn, either. You could get an AACSB MBA from Emporia State University for $11,979 or Southeastern Oklahoma State University for $12,420 ($1,144 and $1,585 over Amberton, respectively).

There are others but you get the point. There are quite a few AACSB-accredited universities offering MBAs online that are very comparable in price with Amberton.

Typically, AACSB programs do cost significantly more than ACBSP. Be sure to see what the admissions requirements are the programs you listed. Without 3 years management experience you're not getting into the Pittsburg State program. Amberton is much easier to get into.
(06-14-2024, 09:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 08:39 PM)inor Wrote: It looks like Amberton's MBA is about $10,835 (I excluded the cost of textbooks). Meanwhile, you could get an MBA at Pittsburg State University, which is AACSB accredited, for $11,850 -- a fairly negligible difference in cost ($1,015 in Amberton's favor). 

Typically, AACSB programs do cost significantly more than ACBSP. Be sure to see what the admissions requirements are the programs you listed. Without 3 years management experience you're not getting into the Pittsburg State program. Amberton is much easier to get into.

I think you're misinterpreting Pittsburg's entrance requirements. It says:

"At least three years in a managerial role or a recent Bachelor of Business Administration gives you a foundation for success in the MBA online program from Pittsburg State University, meaning no prerequisites or leveling courses are required regardless of your undergraduate degree specialization. Please review these admission requirements to get started on your online MBA."

Sounds to me like what they're saying is you can jump right into the core MBA classes if you have a BBA/BSBA or, barring that, 3 years of managerial experience (but not a recent BBA/BSBA). Otherwise, there may be some leveling courses you'd need to get you up to speed with other students. So I guess if you want to add a caveat, you could say that this program is most attractive for new-ish grads.

No experience required for Emporia or Southeastern Oklahoma. Ditto for Georgia Southwestern State, though all mention experience as being one way to help someone with a low GPA get into their program. 
Basically, If you have tuition assistance, you can do the MAOL at UMPI, then go for a WGU MBA right after... I mean, work would pay for it! Also look at the ones who partner with Coursera or EdX to offer Masters... Otherwise, you should review the sticky thread for options: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...der-1-Year
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Admission Requirements/Plan. svnkid 5 149 Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Last Post: svnkid
  New UMPI Academic Catalog 2024-2025 turbotortuga 14 1,533 Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 7 274 Yesterday, 09:31 AM
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,752 10-16-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Finished my MAOL in 5 weeks and 3 days!! CCCollege 6 297 10-16-2024, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 96,849 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,241 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 7 471 10-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 431 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,275 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM