Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help figuring out how to finally obtain Bachelors, advice appreciated
Applying as a non-degree? never heard it before. What's the fee for that?
(05-25-2023, 09:53 AM)Oktoberfest Wrote: Applying as a non-degree? never heard it before. What's the fee for that?

Applications for UMPI are free, you're basically indicating to them you're not sure what degree you're going for or you're not going for a degree but trying their courses. For the OP, it technically is going to be the same as applying. I would recommend applying as a degree seeker instead, see where the credits land, chat with Jessica, get up to 90 credits applied to the degree (BLS MIS) and take 10 courses from them to graduate.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you apply as non-degree seeking then there is no degree evaluation and you won't see which credits will be applied towards an UMPI degree.
(05-25-2023, 10:12 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 09:53 AM)Oktoberfest Wrote: Applying as a non-degree? never heard it before. What's the fee for that?

Applications for UMPI are free, you're basically indicating to them you're not sure what degree you're going for or you're not going for a degree but trying their courses.  For the OP, it technically is going to be the same as applying.  I would recommend applying as a degree seeker instead, see where the credits land, chat with Jessica, get up to 90 credits applied to the degree (BLS MIS) and take 10 courses from them to graduate.
Thanks for this advice!

(05-25-2023, 10:37 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If you apply as non-degree seeking then there is no degree evaluation and you won't see which credits will be applied towards an UMPI degree.

Thanks for clarifying.
(05-25-2023, 09:22 AM)dadof3 Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 09:07 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't see them in your list of credits, but I may have missed them... at the very least, you're going to want the following for a UMPI degree:
  • Spanish I at Sophia OR an ACTFL exam if you have fluency in another language.
  • Biological science (Human Biology at Sophia recommended)
  • Physical science (Environmental Science OR Intro to Chemistry at Sophia)
  • Science lab (Either Human Biology lab OR Intro to Chemistry lab at Sophia; take what corresponds to the Sophia classes you complete)
The UMPI versions of these classes are, at best, tedious. At worst, they're almost impossible to pass. Don't be fooled by "only" needing a single YourPace science class to replace the science classes above. The YourPace version can take an entire session by itself. 

If you already have foreign language and/or science credits, you don't need the Sophia versions.

Super helpful, thank you again for the time you've been taking to help me understand my options.

I was just going through the gen ed reqs for UMPI-
1) Would MGT 270 Managerial Communications possibly work for Part 1 Obj C?
2) Would ECO 210 Macroeconomics possibly work for Part 2 Obj A?
3) Do you see anything that might apply from my previous work to Part 2 Obj D? If not any suggestions of what I could use to fulfill it?
4) Would IDS 109 First Year Experience possibly work for Part 4 Obj A?
5) Would HIS 101 Western Civ or HIS 201 American History possibly work for Part 5 Obj B?
6) Do you see anything that might apply from my previous work for Part 5 Obj E? If not any suggestions of what I could use to fulfill it?

Accordsing to UMPI's database of similar courses

Managerial Communications should work for 1C
Macroeconomics  won't work for anything
Don't worry about 4A, that's a short 1-day thing.
American History should work for 5B
2D maybe Music Appreciation fits, though maybe it doesn't. I'm not really sure there.
5E I don't see anything you took that will fit, take U.S. Government at Sophia.

Your associate in info systems is a pretty solid degree from a knowledge standpoint.

Doing a business major at UMPI is a good idea.

I suggest making a spreadsheet of the rest of the classes you have to do for your degree plan, then start with Sophia first, then do Study.com.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
You need both macro and micro economics for it to count for a UMPI business degree. If you only have macro, take micro at Sophia.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle
(05-25-2023, 03:57 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You need both macro and micro economics for it to count for a UMPI business degree. If you only have macro, take micro at Sophia.

Originally I transferred only macro from Sophia, and it came in as ECO 207. Later I transferred micro from Sophia, but that came in as ECO 207, while macro changed to an elective. So maybe macro is enough? But that was probably just an anomaly.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(05-25-2023, 04:55 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 03:57 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You need both macro and micro economics for it to count for a UMPI business degree. If you only have macro, take micro at Sophia.

Originally I transferred only macro from Sophia, and it came in as ECO 207. Later I transferred micro from Sophia, but that came in as ECO 207, while macro changed to an elective. So maybe macro is enough? But that was probably just an anomaly.

You still get your 6 credits which is why 1 course went into electives.

You need both macro and micro to meet the degree requirement.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-25-2023, 05:07 PM)LevelUP Wrote: You need both macro and micro to meet the degree requirement.

What is confusing about this is that ECO 207 is itself both micro and macro, so if your transcript reflects that ECO 207 is completed, how is the requirement not met?
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(05-25-2023, 05:10 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(05-25-2023, 05:07 PM)LevelUP Wrote: You need both macro and micro to meet the degree requirement.

What is confusing about this is that ECO 207 is itself both micro and macro, so if your transcript reflects that ECO 207 is completed, how is the requirement not met?

I know UMPI is not always consistent with how they bring stuff in for everyone.

There are a few anomalies and their database reflects those inconsistencies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 174 Yesterday, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
  Tamuc & WGU planning advice onward25 10 239 09-23-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 306 09-23-2024, 10:56 PM
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 274 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 281 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 583 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,193 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 634 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  DSST testing advice (for beginner) audpants 2 194 08-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,360 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM