Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm an ordained minister!
At first, I thought it was funny that I could become an ordained minister for free just by filling out an online form. Then, I started to read about the history of the Universal Life Church. It was founded by a former Pentecostal reverend in 1959 who accepted that religious beliefs differ from person to person. This church really believes in the freedom of religion, not that fake religious freedom talk these days where people only respect fundamentalist Judeo-Christian beliefs. This church's online ordination process is also a tool to use against the unconstitutional requirements that one be ordained by a religion in order to officiate weddings if he or she is not a judge or magistrate. Not only is this a problem for those wanting a secular marriage, but this is also a problem for interfaith marriages where the couple doesn't want to choose a side for the ceremony. It's also a problem for people who live in rural or less religiously diverse areas and can't find an officiant of the domination/religion of their choosing. People shouldn't be forced to choose to have their marriage officiated by a judge with whom they have no personal connection. Fortunately, there is a sign that these laws might be struck down. A federal court ruled that Indiana's law is unconstitutional.
Indiana court rules in favor of secular marriage: Big win for the nonreligious.

Even though my ordination was free, I do have to pay $8.99 for an ordination certificate. One thing I don't like about Universal Life Church is that it's a diploma mill. They will sell Doctor of Divinity certificates to anyone. I won't be buying one of those.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think every one and their brother has this credential. I filled out the applications eons when one of my godbrothers was on the kick (must have a printed certi around in a box in the basement?). Probably 1/3 of the pop has done the same if not only through a truth or dare game. Or to perform some sort of rite over their friend or relatives union. LOL I've even seen a group trying to use it for tax purposes (religious exemption), that didn't work out too well. LOL LOL LOL

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Agreed, I know many people who have ULC ordinations. It is particularly popular among people who participate in less organized religions, especially in certain states which have stricter marriage requirements about who presides over a wedding.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
Some years back, a local judge refused to give a Wicca (or the head of the ...coven?) license to perform wedding ceremonies. Up on appeal, his decision was shot down. (In Virginia, yet!) Now, I figure anyone who's a member of the Church of What's Happening Now (Laugh In) could perform ceremonies. Also, VA has a "one off" deal. You can get a judge to allow you to perform one ceremony, and it has nothing to do with religion, or anything else. That's in addition to marriage celebrants who are authorized to perform civil wedding services for something like $25.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
There are quite a few celebrities who I recall being ordained by ULC. A few that come to mind are Sir Ian McKellen (who officiated Patrick Stewart's wedding), Kathy Griffin, and Stephen Colbert (who performed a ceremony on his show).

Personally, I'd prefer to be ordained by a Secular Humanist organization.....

On the other hand, Dudeism seems to be a pretty laid back religion as well.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
So can we expect a new, pastoral sanantone, all sweetness and light as she shares the good news of Universal Life with all the nations?

Or, now that she's licensed to preach can we expect an even more prophetic sanantone, fire and brimstone and righteous indignation, taking names and letting God sort them out?

I think I know the answer… Wink
bricabrac Wrote:I think every one and their brother has this credential. I filled out the applications eons when one of my godbrothers was on the kick (must have a printed certi around in a box in the basement?). Probably 1/3 of the pop has done the same if not only through a truth or dare game. Or to perform some sort of rite over their friend or relatives union. LOL I've even seen a group trying to use it for tax purposes (religious exemption), that didn't work out too well. LOL LOL LOL

People don't understand that they have to be regularly and primarily engaged in religious or charitable activities in order to be tax-exempt. The pastor's salary that comes from the church is tax-exempt, but not his or her other income. ULC's classification changes year to year. It does hold church services every Sunday, but it also makes a lot of money off of selling certificates and officiant packages.

Jonathan Whatley Wrote:So can we expect a new, pastoral sanantone, all sweetness and light as she shares the good news of Universal Life with all the nations?

Or, now that she's licensed to preach can we expect an even more prophetic sanantone, fire and brimstone and righteous indignation, taking names and letting God sort them out?

I think I know the answer… Wink

I am already both. It all depends on the situation. There is the social work side of me; and, then, there is the law enforcement side. I'm open-minded, understanding of hardship, and believe in second chances, but I also have a very low tolerance for BS and stupidity. By the way, I read that Canada does not recognize ULC ministers in any province.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:...
Not only is this a problem for those wanting a secular marriage ...

how is it a problem for people wanting a secular marriage ?
why would anybody wanting a secular marriage go to an ordained minister ?

... It's also a problem for people who live in rural or less religiously diverse areas and can't find an officiant of the domination/religion of their choosing.

if their preference is to have their wedding officiated by a minister from their own domination and they can't find one what makes you think they'd choose a minister from the Universal Life Church ?
the whole point is they what one from their own denomination

People shouldn't be forced to choose to have their marriage officiated by a judge with whom they have no personal connection.

why not ?
you get your children delivered by doctors and nurses you have no personal connection with
you probably don't have a personal connection with your accountant or lawyer (and I guarantee each person's accountant and lawyer is more important than their minister in most marriages)
I'm ordained through the Universal Life Church, Modesto, as well. I'm not entirely sure why I signed up. I'm not really Christian. I just really like the idea of giving council to those in need. I also think, like the ULC says, that it's everyone's right to preach if they feel a calling. I guess I got it in the event that I wanted to start exercising that right. Plus, I really dig a lot of what that church says. I'm also a fan of Unitarian Universalists, but I don't have a congregation nearby.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - 
BAAS General Studies
BAAS Organizational Leadership 

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
bluebooger Wrote:how is it a problem for people wanting a secular marriage ?
why would anybody wanting a secular marriage go to an ordained minister ?

Many of the ULC ministers are secular. They have to become fake ministers in order to officiate legal marriages. If you want a legal marriage in most states, your choice is either a judge/magistrate/justice of the peace or a real or pretend minister/religious leader.

Quote:if their preference is to have their wedding officiated by a minister from their own domination and they can't find one what makes you think they'd choose a minister from the Universal Life Church ?
the whole point is they what one from their own denomination

ULC is accepting of all denominations. It just gives a general ordination.

Quote:why not ?
you get your children delivered by doctors and nurses you have no personal connection with
you probably don't have a personal connection with your accountant or lawyer (and I guarantee each person's accountant and lawyer is more important than their minister in most marriages)

A lot of people make a big deal about being able to choose their doctors. Women often prefer to have their children delivered by their OBGYN or a midwife who has been caring for them through the whole pregnancy. You also develop relationships with other professionals who provide long-term services. However, accounting services aren't nearly as personal as marriage. I, personally, am not acquainted with any judge. If I were to have a wedding officiate by a judge, he or she would be a stranger before, during, and after the wedding ceremony.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P