Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you explain to potential employers?
I know, vague title. Sorry!

I'm following the path blazed here by y'all (for those that don't know, I am taking accredited college courses via several non-college sources, then I will apply them to a college at a later time).

When I am applying for work, and it's part time, I ask for flexibility, because I'm trying to complete a degree. I am preplanning, for instance the DSST center near me only does it on certain days, and I want them to know I am trying to make myself a better employee.

The obvious question comes up - where are you going?

Technically, I suppose I am going nowhere. If there is a dropdown box in the application software for college name, what would I put? How would I describe what I'm doing with an air of legitimacy?

Because I'm not 'screwing around just taking some online courses' as one person summed my efforts up... lol
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

High_Order1 Wrote:I know, vague title. Sorry!

I'm following the path blazed here by y'all (for those that don't know, I am taking accredited college courses via several non-college sources, then I will apply them to a college at a later time).

When I am applying for work, and it's part time, I ask for flexibility, because I'm trying to complete a degree. I am preplanning, for instance the DSST center near me only does it on certain days, and I want them to know I am trying to make myself a better employee.

Technically, I suppose I am going nowhere. If there is a dropdown box in the application software for college name, what would I put? How would I describe what I'm doing with an air of legitimacy?

Because I'm not 'screwing around just taking some online courses' as one person summed my efforts up... lol

I find it's best to not explain. Just say you're going to school, and you can tell them you're going to COSC, TESU, or wherever you're going (or will be going). I think we feel like we need to explain our process, but it's completely unnecessary. I would not explain my CLEP credits or other test outs if I were in a traditional program, so I don't find it necessary to explain them in a complete test out situation.

With the advent of online classes, non fixed schedules are not uncommon for students. I wouldn't bother going down the path to explain what you're doing, i'd just ask for time off to take a test for a class. If they want to know why you need that time, just say it's proctored.

The exception to this is if they review the transcript and ask. In this situation, they are likely more familiar with school policies and I'd just explain that I self-studied and tested out of the degree. I believe in being fully open/honest about my degree, but I've found everyone just glazes over when I explain the method -- and the more I thought about it the more I realized that no one explains that when they are asked about their degree. They don't tell me they went to two online classes, then sat in a lecture hall, then took an exam. They are zoning out usually, because it's extraneous information.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I will simply put Thomas Edison State University as that is where you are planing on applying eventually. I will also ask them for leniency for testing schedule. Clear this in an interview.
TESU - BSBA General Management (Completed !!)

WGU MBA - Journey Started for 2016 -2017 .
C200 Managing Organizations and Leading People (Complete 11/7/16)
C202 Managing Human Capital
C211 Global Economics for Managers
You're going to TESU (or wherever you're planning to get your degree), the classes are online, and occasionally you have to go to a testing center during business hours to take an exam. Don't give give them more info than they need. If they express interest and you feel like talking about it, then go into more depth.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Remember, don’t just explain, but actively highlight and promote your efforts in interviews Smile Self-planning, self-teaching, self-motivating and self-funding (GI Bill, scholarships, grants etc count as self-funding also) your education should be a point of pride for everyone on this forum. It shows employers that you have organization, time management and project management skills, are a motivated self-starter, can work with a conservative budget, and are willing to “think outside the box” to solve problems. All of the above are highly valued in the business, IT and education fields, to name a few.

I actually had a question on an application questionnaire that asked what percentage of my education was self-funded (it specified that self-funded included out-of-pocket payment, military/veteran assistance, grants, scholarships and work-study, but excluded loans, gifts and parent/family payments.)
MBA- WGU, in progress 2018
BSBA- TESU, Sep. 2017

You guys seem to share more than I do. I used to explain it all and realized that for the most part they have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. People can only relate their experience, most managers I know had a pretty much traditional degree path...no need to explain or validate. Tell them you're completing a program at COSC or TESU (put it on the resume too). If it comes up explain that you need time, but that it's pretty flexible....and let their own preconceived notions fill in the blanks unless they ask for more. If they ask for more, just explain away...in my experience the vast majority will not notice or care.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Why do you need flexibility? You should be able to complete your education on your own time with online courses and the occasional brick and mortar evening class. I work full-time, and I don't ask for flexibility. As long as I can get the occasional day off for doctors, dentists, and DSST, I'm good. I don't tell the boss why I'm taking the day off. It's none of their business. If you ask for flexibility beyond the occasional day off that most people need, they might choose someone that's easier to schedule.

I would not volunteer information about education other than being a student at TESU unless asked explicitly. I don't like telling anyone how I tested out a good chunk of my degree. Testing out is going to sound bad to a lot of people. I know you're proud of your education efforts, but I believe it's better to keep it to yourself. It's a checkbox degree, not a degree from Harvard.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
High_Order1 Wrote:I know, vague title. Sorry!

Huh? I'm confused.
First off, asking for flexibility before you've even been hired is pretty lame- I don't mean to be offensive, but the job is the job. If it's not a fit, you shouldn't accept it. Just my 2 cents on that part.

The question: Where are you going? Who is asking this, when and why? This is TMI. If you're not enrolled anywhere, don't put anything down on your application. If you are enrolled, then list your school. Since you technically are going nowhere, leave the school part blank until you're enrolled as a degree seeking student (because they could ask for an enrollment verification- like when you get a good student discount on insurance)

There is no air of legitimacy, what a strange phrase. Listen, I am sure this sounds harsh, but just enroll somewhere and call it done. You shouldn't even be bringing this up at a job interview. It's completely irrelevant.

EDIT to add- all the sharing and talking and obsessing can happen here, this is a safe place for that. We are your cheerleaders, not your employer. :hurray: <-- see, I'm cheering for you Wink
cookderosa Wrote:Huh? I'm confused.
First off, asking for flexibility before you've even been hired is pretty lame- I don't mean to be offensive, but the job is the job. If it's not a fit, you shouldn't accept it. Just my 2 cents on that part.

The question: Where are you going? Who is asking this, when and why? This is TMI. If you're not enrolled anywhere, don't put anything down on your application. If you are enrolled, then list your school. Since you technically are going nowhere, leave the school part blank until you're enrolled as a degree seeking student (because they could ask for an enrollment verification- like when you get a good student discount on insurance)

There is no air of legitimacy, what a strange phrase. Listen, I am sure this sounds harsh, but just enroll somewhere and call it done. You shouldn't even be bringing this up at a job interview. It's completely irrelevant.

EDIT to add- all the sharing and talking and obsessing can happen here, this is a safe place for that. We are your cheerleaders, not your employer. :hurray: <-- see, I'm cheering for you Wink

I agree with this response the most. I've been following the thread and I've thought the entire time about what happens if they ask for enrollment verification? If that happens, you'll seem like you are being deceptive when that is not your intention. Instead of "explaining" it will sound like you are backtracking to untangle the deception.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
TrailRunr Wrote:Why do you need flexibility? You should be able to complete your education on your own time with online courses and the occasional brick and mortar evening class.

I work full-time, and I don't ask for flexibility. As long as I can get the occasional day off for doctors, dentists, and DSST, I'm good.

Most jobs I am applying for are part time. They do not like to give off days. They do not like to give a Friday or a Monday off.

cookderosa Wrote:Huh? I'm confused.

EDIT to add- all the sharing and talking and obsessing can happen here, this is a safe place for

that. We are your cheerleaders, not your employer. :hurray: <-- see, I'm cheering for you Wink

No, it's not lame. As a person who has done hiring in the past, I would like very much to know that a person has outside interests that may conflict with the position they are applying for. Because this is a part time job, I'll also need to work somewhere else. This is how it is.

My current part time job cuts the heart out of every M-F, but I only get 29 hours. They won't let me off to go take a test somewhere. I'm going next week to requalify on equipment that I use at my job, and they wouldn't let me off for it.

I have no interest in enrolling anywhere at this point. I want to do this as inexpensively as possible, so I intend to knock out as much as I can first. Then, I'll send to the Big Three and work from there.

Being a college student isn't irrelevant in my work field. They allow others to do some of their homework AT my current job. I feel like I am sort of a college student, and I want to leverage that. If they can't accept that I need time to complete coursework and / or take tests, then we need to get that settled in front, right?

But I do agree on the verification issue, which is why I posted.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inspirational Message - Embrace Your Potential and Ignite Your Passion! bjcheung77 1 347 04-03-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How elitist families and employers drive people to spend more sanantone 0 613 08-02-2021, 04:09 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  How do you explain your degree at a job interview when asked? BrighterFuture88 33 7,643 01-27-2021, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Will you still need a college education in 2040? 6 Experts Explain Life Long Learning 6 1,339 01-30-2020, 04:39 PM
Last Post: hlg38
Thumbs Up Done MBA without a Bachelor's Degree 10 years ago & some employers still demand one PositiveSoul 21 4,081 11-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  The Most Successful People Explain Why a College Degree is USELESS Life Long Learning 15 3,033 12-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Last Post: learflyer
  Columbia Southern Uni / Potential Free OSHA Classes High_Order1 10 3,644 03-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree? Kev 19 5,897 12-31-2017, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Kev
  Employers and busy students? Ideas 10 2,073 10-29-2017, 01:48 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Can someone explain ALEKS assessments? sklineho 10 1,562 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Prloko