Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Grad Schools view your GPA (including transferred credits)
Maybe someone can help me.

I am currently taking Sophia courses to transfer to UMPI BABA Supply Chain Management. In doing so, I want to transfer as many credits as possible and also get the best GPA possible. I know that Sophia and other transferred credits are not reflected within the GPA on the transcript of UMPI. However, some universities include grades from transferred courses when applying for their master's program. Therefore, 2 questions arise for me:

I.) Does Sophia show grades or percentages at all? (Not only on UMPI transcript, but also on Sophia transcript)

II.) How are transferred credits (from previous universities and third party providers) shown on the transcript? Is it possible to track which grade was earned?
1. Sophia shows grades on Sophia transcripts but in the Credly transcript (which is the one sent to UMPI for evaluation), no grades are shown.
2. On the UMPI transcript, the transfer credits are shown as P, which stands for pass, without any grades (neither letter nor numerical)
You can opt to send a Parchment transcript from Sophia to your grad school of choice. The Parchment transcript will show percentages.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-20-2023, 06:31 PM)SchlemkoTB Wrote: Maybe someone can help me.

I am currently taking Sophia courses to transfer to UMPI BABA Supply Chain Management. In doing so, I want to transfer as many credits as possible and also get the best GPA possible. I know that Sophia and other transferred credits are not reflected within the GPA on the transcript of UMPI. However, some universities include grades from transferred courses when applying for their master's program. Therefore, 2 questions arise for me:

I.) Does Sophia show grades or percentages at all? (Not only on UMPI transcript, but also on Sophia transcript)

II.) How are transferred credits (from previous universities and third party providers) shown on the transcript? Is it possible to track which grade was earned?

Grades from previously attended colleges and universities will show up as A-C grades, but will not count toward or against your UMPI GPA. They won't transfer in anything below a C.

I applied to three graduate schools. Two accepted my UMPI transcript as it was presented with 86 graded credits and 60 ungraded pass credits. One grad school (the one I am attending) asked for my Study.com transcript as well, with numerical or letter grades included, so they could calculate my overall GPA themselves. There were no issues in any instance. (All were state universities, one in Arkansas, one in Kentucky, one in Illinois.)

A grad school may require your Sophia transcript for the same reason, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • ss20ts
@SchlemkoTB, Each institution you have attended will have their own GPA shown on provided transcripts. When you transfer to another institution, you send your transcripts to that institution. The same goes when you apply to graduate school, you send all previous transcripts of institutions you have attended. In the event that you have alternative credits, you do the same, send it through Credly or Parchment... Focus on GPA on graded courses, lesser on Alternative Credit options.

You're going to look at your own energy/time to decide what your course of action is, some members on the board will prompt you it's easiest to just get a 'pass', so anything over 70% will work. I like to do things a little differently, for ACE/NCCRS credits, even though 70% is a pass, I try to get past 90 in case I apply to a semi or more competitive graduate school. Really, a pass is a pass, it's going to take extra energy, money, time invested if you want a better grade in each...

Here's the thing, when I did my Alternative Credit and started with StraighterLine, I had 23 courses over 90%, 5 at 80%+, 5 at 76%+ and 1 fail - yes, that darn intro to stats course was at 65% (before that I took ALEKS Stats, all 3 of them and it was stuck at 63%, I spent an extra month and nearly fried my brain and still couldn't get past it as it turned out to be Calculus based vs Algebra based), I finally took SL Business Stats and ended with 85% as it's Algebra based...

What I am trying to get at is, it's an 80 vs 20 out there for grad school, 80% don't really care what your alternative credits are like, the other 20% are the Ivy League or Private schools that are much more competitive, they would look at your application in all angles, if you have a strong application in everything else, the GPA wouldn't be much of an issue at all... Again, it's your energy/money/time investment, decide for yourself which institution you want to end up with.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-21-2023, 07:03 AM)wildebeest Wrote:

Grades from previously attended colleges and universities will show up as A-C grades, but will not count toward or against your UMPI GPA. They won't transfer in anything below a C.

I applied to three graduate schools. Two accepted my UMPI transcript as it was presented with 86 graded credits and 60 ungraded pass credits. One grad school (the one I am attending) asked for my Study.com transcript as well, with numerical or letter grades included, so they could calculate my overall GPA themselves. There were no issues in any instance. (All were state universities, one in Arkansas, one in Kentucky, one in Illinois.)

A grad school may require your Sophia transcript for the same reason, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
May I ask which school in Kentucky? cause I am considering an masters from one in Kentucky. Also were they the one that asked for the study.com transcript?
(05-21-2023, 03:44 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

May I ask which school in Kentucky? cause I am considering an masters from one in Kentucky. Also were they the one that asked for the study.com transcript?

It was Murray State's MS in Economic Development, and I almost went with them, as they offered a $2000 GA with a 0-hour work requirement, but I went with Eastern Illinois instead, as I decided I wanted to take a broader approach to policy. It was Eastern Illinois that asked for the Study.com transcript.
Master of Arts in Political Science: Public Administration & Public Policy, Eastern Illinois University
Bachelor of Arts in History & Political Science, University of Maine at Presque Isle
It will really depend on the grad school you choose. I have applied to three. All of them only wanted the transcript that showed my BA degree was completed. I asked if they wanted all schools and alternative credits and they said No. I don’t know if that is the norm, or if i just happened to apply to more lenient schools.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-22-2023, 06:50 AM)Vle045 Wrote: It will really depend on the grad school you choose.  I have applied to three.  All of them only wanted the transcript that showed my BA degree was completed.  I asked if they wanted all schools and alternative credits and they said No.  I don’t know if that is the norm, or if i just happened to apply to more lenient schools.

Yeah, none of the grad schools to which I applied asked for my CC transcript; the transferred credits and grades on my degree-completion transcript sufficed for those.
(05-22-2023, 06:11 AM)wildebeest Wrote:
(05-21-2023, 03:44 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

It was Murray State's MS in Economic Development, and I almost went with them, as they offered a $2000 GA with a 0-hour work requirement, but I went with Eastern Illinois instead, as I decided I wanted to take a broader approach to policy. It was Eastern Illinois that asked for the Study.com transcript.
Ok. The programs I am considering are Eastern Kentucky University. I’m looking at  mscs or mba from them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI - Transferring in old general elective credits question JohnD 4 109 6 hours ago
Last Post: JohnD
  Anyone transferred in with high school waiver recently? BritStudent 6 584 09-22-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Adding more sophia and study,com credits ChuckMcNab 2 413 08-26-2024, 09:36 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Denied Financial Aid Because of 182 Credits. Adam54321 30 2,560 08-11-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  how to know which transfer credits will apply to degree? skinmasksean 7 583 07-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: skinmasksean
  Project Management - STD credits or Google Certifications DavidGood 6 1,201 07-23-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: tdat314
Rainbow UMPI Gen Eds leftover credits question ecomony 4 487 07-16-2024, 10:52 AM
  Transfer credits came in as general electives achraf15 10 999 07-07-2024, 03:40 PM
  Logic of the following (undergraduate to graduate credits ) ecdw94 6 592 06-10-2024, 09:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 17 3,149 05-25-2024, 08:56 PM
Last Post: 10YearBachelor