Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hodges UPower - any experiences/reviews?
"I transferred in my general ed stuff, so there might be a ton of writing there, but in the IT program in in there's only two papers (and a database project)"

jsd - thank you. Do you remember what classes those were in and how large the papers were? Were they UL classes only? Just curious in case we someday change plans.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
Technical Communication has a two part paper, the first task was just over 6 pages (not including cover/works cited page - but I only cited two sources) but easy and repetitive. I haven't done the second part, but it looks like it will probably be similar length but slightly more involved.

The other course is the Capstone paper, which I haven't started yet. It's a capstone, so I imagine it will be a good amount of work, but nothing unobtainable. I had to do one with my first Bachelor's with TESU, and I spent much more time worrying about doing it than I spent completing it, in the end.

The database project was maybe 5 paragraphs of writing and then a bunch of screenshots and SQL commands.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • mudball
(11-12-2017, 05:12 PM)Berzerker Wrote: Thanks. Right now, I am doing a LOT of research in order to put together a career plan. That includes possible taking credit outside the school I finally choose and transfer them in.

This time I'm going to do it right or at least methodically. My first attempt as a youngster was dismal and all I got from it was a debt that I can never get rid of unless I die. Never.again. I will still have to take out student loans to help pay, but not to the magnitude I did before, not by a long-shot. Getting a degree or even taking classes at a B&M or with a non-self-paced program isn't an option. I'm too old for that.

You know, no one is perfect, I totally went bonkers when I was in college and went to another institute. Youngsters are like that, there was no guidance at all from anyone, even the school teachers/guidance counselors or advisors wouldn't be able to help. It took me two decades on and off to get finally finish my degree. I went from expensive RA online courses to NA schools who lost their accreditation, and even unaccredited schools... Weird! I know!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-13-2017, 12:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You know, no one is perfect, I totally went bonkers when I was in college and went to another institute.  Youngsters are like that, there was no guidance at all from anyone, even the school teachers/guidance counselors or advisors wouldn't be able to help.  It took me two decades on and off to get finally finish my degree. I went from expensive RA online courses to NA schools who lost their accreditation, and even unaccredited schools... Weird! I know!

It wasn't until I started researching things online the past few months that I started to understand things about accreditation, the importance of RA vs NA, ACE credit and all that stuff.  I still don't have a 100% grasp on all of it, but enough to feel comfortable.

You're right, there is no guidance in school...and I went to a private school.  They just tell you "you have to go to college" more or less.  That silly piece of advice cost me dearly in my life both career-wise and monetarily and, if I could, I would sue my high school (and probably many other entities) for at least the cost of my Student Loans for putting these bogus ideas into my head.

There should be a mandatory class in HS that teaches students about choosing colleges and career paths.  Education is too expensive & important to leave to a teenager to make a good decision.  They just look at college as a 6-year party with wild, 1-week breaks ever spring.

My parents were also of no help, but I cannot blame them too much because they came from a poor country with poor education and didn't have a clue about post-secondary education.  All they figured was "just go to college, don't drop out" and "you'll make a lot of money".  Neither of them had a high school diploma - they were pre-teens toward the end of WW2 and school had to be cut short for them so they could work to eat and find a way to America.
Hmm. I know that this thread is a couple months old, but I may be interested in Hodges for a 2nd Bachelors. Thinking of the BS in CIT
(01-15-2018, 03:07 AM)jkerns Wrote: Hmm. I know that this thread is a couple months old, but I may be interested in Hodges for a 2nd Bachelors. Thinking of the BS in CIT

What is your first degree?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The Hodges UPower graduate degrees are very interesting. I wonder how they would be perceived if one wanted to use the credential to teach at a college.
Anyone know if it's true that the classes that require certifications to pass do not include the certification fees in the tuition? How does this work because having to pay this out of pocket when you need 7 or 8 certs to pass could get expensive.
(01-15-2018, 10:42 PM)ELSADDIQ Wrote: Anyone know if it's true that the classes that require certifications to pass do not include the certification fees in the tuition? How does this work because having to pay this out of pocket when you need 7 or 8 certs to pass could get expensive.

If this is the case, then WGU is a better option, since the certs are included in the cost of tuition.  A huge cost-savings for most people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The first 2 classes for IT are Hardware Essentials and Hardware & Operating Systems. For the UPower program, they say the class will prepare you for the certs. (Comp TIA's I think. 9 somethings-sorry you probably know what I mean already). My son has finished the first class and the certification is not required to complete the class. He is almost done with the 2nd and I'm almost positive no cert is involved.
I will be posting a detailed review of my sons 1st 4 months at Hodges in a few weeks.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Level 5 from UK, what have been your experiences? elcastor21 3 622 09-19-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hodges University - Another one bites the dust... bjcheung77 2 505 09-01-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Why aren't transcript reviews automated? jamshid666 33 5,483 05-26-2020, 12:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Post your Test Center Experiences! sgloer 3 1,212 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Literature CLEP , Any experiences 2L8 3 2,191 10-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Dewm
  Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) posabsolute 13 5,785 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hodges announcing changes to UPower dfrecore 4 2,283 01-16-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: jsd
Question TESU+ Anyone got any experiences? 2L8 8 2,202 01-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Experiences with Regis University Online? greencouch 15 4,122 11-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Kaplan Documenting Your Experiences for College Credit Photog 81 10,435 03-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Last Post: inf