Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help High schooler to AA
Big Grin Hi there.  I have a pretty basic question. I have a high school, homeschooler who is taking college courses via study.com. When they are 18 they plan to transfer their credits to a college to get their AA.  My question is, does anyone have any recommendations as to which college to have these credits transferred to? Also any other advice is helpful. Thank you very much 
 I have a very basic question. I have a highschooler who is taking college courses via study.com
any AA ?

or a particular subject : history ? math ? computer science ? health science ?
@Katjhenderson, Welcome to the board.  Take your time reading through the forum and WIKI.  I've written a few things in regard to starting college credits in high school.  Best bets are the local community college or universities that allow dual enrollment for cheap, other inexpensive options are CLEP/ModernStates, Sophia.org for lower level credits in addition to Study.com, I would actually recommend Study.com for upper level credits instead.  You should try to fill us in with as much info as you can for the template and last post addendum here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Katjhenderson
(10-14-2022, 03:36 PM)bluebooger Wrote: any AA ?

Sorry for being so vague. She is currently taking classes through study.com. She hasn’t decided which direction she wants to go with her AA. Possible options for her are computer science or psychology. Right now we’re just trying to get through the general education. I’m not sure what school to transfer her to that will accept this study.com credits.
Have you checked with local community colleges about ACE courses? At 18, the options are bit more limited than someone who's 20. Why only an associate degree? Why not just go for a bachelor's degree?
(10-15-2022, 11:16 AM)Katjhenderson Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 03:36 PM)bluebooger Wrote: any AA ?

Sorry for being so vague. She is currently taking classes through study.com. She hasn’t decided which direction she wants to go with her AA. Possible options for her are computer science or psychology. Right now we’re just trying to get through the general education. I’m not sure what school to transfer her to that will accept this study.com credits.

Study.com has a page showing who will take their credits and how.  https://study.com/college/school/index.html

There are more schools that accept ACE, but that's a good start.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@Katjhenderson, I'm going to repeat what I mentioned in post #2 of your thread.  My answer to your basic question is a simple one, I usually like to break things down from many options to a select few.  Your best online options that we recommend here are Excelsior and TESU, skip PUG/UMPI/WGU for now as competency-based degrees may not be right for her.  Plus, Excelsior/TESU allows you to transfer in 113/114 credits for the Bachelors.

Take your time, I suggest taking some time to review threads on the forum and the WIKI.  You may want to do something similar to this student: To help you further, you may want to review this thread as well for suggestions, review the last post as that's how I am starting my family off the same way:  Advice for my 17 year old daughter with over 100 credits done... Computer/IT Focused. (degreeforum.net)

At 10-06-2022, 02:37 AM in the morning, I received this private message from the parent who started the thread above, they provided more details on exactly what their daughter is looking for, all we did was try to answer and provide more options to see if it is suitable for the student...  Again, tell us which state you're in, the basic details we look for in the template and addendum I linked you, I suggest an AA/AS from the local college/univ then a bachelor's at EU or TESU, and finish off with a Competency Based Masters at WGU.

EDUxplorer Wrote:I just wanted to personally say THANK YOU! You have given me so much advice for my daughter over the last week or two that I've been on these forums.

We have reached out and connected to WQU, and she is now accepted! Seriously, I can not thank you enough.

Now on to explore and look for more options to finish her plans.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-15-2022, 02:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Katjhenderson, I'm going to repeat what I mentioned in post #2 of your thread.  My answer to your basic question is a simple one, I usually like to break things down from many options to a select few.  Your best online options that we recommend here are Excelsior and TESU, skip PUG/UMPI/WGU for now as competency-based degrees may not be right for her.  Plus, Excelsior/TESU allows you to transfer in 113/114 credits for the Bachelors.
UMPI requires students to be 20 years old so that's not an option. They don't offer associate degrees in YourPace either. 
TESU also requires students to be 20 years old. From their website:

Be 20 years of age or older, or 18 years or older and an active member of the United States military (not applicable to military spouses, dependents or relations).
(10-15-2022, 02:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI requires students to be 20 years old so that's not an option. They don't offer associate degrees in YourPace either. 

Be 20 years of age or older, or 18 years or older and an active member of the United States military (not applicable to military spouses, dependents or relations).

adding information: TESU does have Age Waiver options for those who are 18-19 years old and don't meet military option.  See TESU admissions website for details on the requirements for that waiver.  link https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-15-2022, 02:53 PM)P226mem Wrote:
(10-15-2022, 02:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: UMPI requires students to be 20 years old so that's not an option. They don't offer associate degrees in YourPace either. 

adding information: TESU does have Age Waiver options for those who are 18-19 years old and don't meet military option.  See TESU admissions website for details on the requirements for that waiver.  link https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions

Right but....ACE credits aren't RA 

• If you possess a high school degree, GED, or a secondary home school diploma that meets the requirements of the applicant's state of residency, and have earned a minimum of 24 credits from a regionally accredited college/university with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
Then you have to take an exam:

• Applicants (degree seeking and non-matriculated) who are 18-19 years, and who possess a high school degree, GED, or a secondary home school diploma that meets the requirements of the applicant's state of residency, but have earned LESS than 24 credits or have earned their credits from an approved University course provider who is not regionally accredited, must take the Accuplacer, Next Generation examination within 30 days of applying and achieve scores of:
    • Reading Comprehension: 236 or higher
    • Sentence Skills: 241 or higher
    • Arithmetic: 216 or higher
Excelsior is often easier for 18 year olds. EU has allowed 16 year olds and under to graduate with their bachelor's degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning Plan for High Schooler halov19823 15 827 08-30-2024, 06:43 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  CS Bachelor International High School Graduate ASP_0705 4 655 06-21-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: ASP_0705
  Has anyone used AP credits from high school on transfering to the big three? smtGate 4 541 11-19-2023, 10:46 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Counseling from a recent high school graduate Sincere seekers 12 983 08-25-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Thoughts for a new high school graduate? savvyg 18 1,843 05-30-2023, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  High school & college? panda08 3 673 05-21-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  High Schooler Options - BSBA / BABA prettykiti09 18 2,028 05-16-2023, 07:30 AM
  Plans for a high schooler Aurelius 8 902 05-05-2023, 12:03 AM
  advice for completing General Education credits for son in High School EducationSeeker 11 1,466 09-02-2022, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Pikachu
  seeking degree planning advice in Cybersecurity Bachelors for High School Student EducationSeeker 22 3,599 06-12-2022, 02:34 PM