Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Govt. Update on Masks
(05-21-2021, 10:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 09:45 AM)wow Wrote: As I already pointed out on this thread, I and other people wear masks outside because of allergies. In some areas of the country (including where I live), it is also recommended for certain populations to wear them in certain situations because of the risk of fungal lung infections. 

Fungal lung infections? Is this something found only outdoors? That sounds awful.
Its a thing in some areas of the Pacific Northwest where I live (we have lots of fungi in the NW, most of them are not infectious, but hikers and people working outdoors sometimes mask up/bandana up to prevent inhaling spores).

Valley fever is one that affects the southwest and drier areas of the west coast. It's caused by a fungus that lives in soil. Most people get allergy or flu-like symptoms if they develop an infection and get better on their own, but some people get really sick with permanent lung damage. It mostly affects agricultural workers, but there can also be outbreaks around dust storms.

Fungal infections like this aren't generally passed from person to person, but picked up from the environment. Usually people exposed to small amounts of these types of agents don't get sick. But small amounts can be an issue for some people, like the immunocompromised. But large amounts inhaled at once or over time may cause issues.

(Not a doctor, just enjoy learning about microbiology.)
I’m seeing maybe 10% wearing masks now and I’m in The public all day long. I figure some are wearing because of preexisting conditions Or risk groups and some because they are honoring the “honor system”. At this stage of the game I’d say most are well over wearing it or not wearing it just for spite. If they’re not wearing it and not vaccinated they are probably just sick and tired of the whole ordeal. If they’re wearing it chances are it’s one of the things I listed above.

I think most people are just so over it. If you want to wear a mask for the rest of your life feel free. It doesn’t cost me a dime.

Paying out extended unemployment For people to sit on their butts and stupid small business / job killer regulations does cost me and everyone else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • StoicJ
(05-21-2021, 11:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 10:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Fungal lung infections? Is this something found only outdoors? That sounds awful.

Things like pigeon poo can breed fungus that can go to your lungs. I think it can happen with other types of manure as well? But it's usually pigeon.

But, regardless, inside you can do things like have HEPA filters in your A/C and/or buy stand-alone air purifiers to remove fungal spores from the air. So, yeah, if you're careful then it's something only going to be found outdoors.

Oh geez. That's gross and horrible at the same time.

(05-21-2021, 01:26 PM)wow Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 10:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 09:45 AM)wow Wrote: As I already pointed out on this thread, I and other people wear masks outside because of allergies. In some areas of the country (including where I live), it is also recommended for certain populations to wear them in certain situations because of the risk of fungal lung infections. 

Fungal lung infections? Is this something found only outdoors? That sounds awful.
Its a thing in some areas of the Pacific Northwest where I live (we have lots of fungi in the NW, most of them are not infectious, but hikers and people working outdoors sometimes mask up/bandana up to prevent inhaling spores).

Valley fever is one that affects the southwest and drier areas of the west coast. It's caused by a fungus that lives in soil. Most people get allergy or flu-like symptoms if they develop an infection and get better on their own, but some people get really sick with permanent lung damage. It mostly affects agricultural workers, but there can also be outbreaks around dust storms.

Fungal infections like this aren't generally passed from person to person, but picked up from the environment. Usually people exposed to small amounts of these types of agents don't get sick. But small amounts can be an issue for some people, like the immunocompromised. But large amounts inhaled at once or over time may cause issues.

(Not a doctor, just enjoy learning about microbiology.)

Is this because of the rain? Like it causes fungus to grow like crazy? 

I had no idea this was a concern out West. I'm in the Northeast and don't know of anything like this here. This does sound pretty scary though since this can be really serious.
I totally forgot about Valley Fever. I'm sure I've had it at some point. It's pretty inevitable that you do if you live in the area. It's actually the DRY soil that's a problem. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond...c-20378761
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-18-2021, 11:18 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Clown World update, CDC updates mask policy
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...ities.html

As bad as Clown World got in 2020/2021, I fear what's coming will be FAR worse  Sad
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(05-18-2021, 12:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I am enjoying the people who are going to continue wearing masks to prove that they hate Trump or whatever.  It's the MAGA hat of the left.

Unless you plan on wearing it for the rest of your life, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just go ahead and not wear it any longer starting now. But whatever.

There will never be as many as there were idiots who refused to wear them because "freedom" or Trump, or whatever.

I've stopped wearing it where I don't have to, but my wife, for example, just isn't quite ready to make the change that suddenly. Which is not surprising considering how many times restaurants and other businesses opened only to have to close again after another outbreak. It will take time for people to adjust to not wearing them just as it took time to get used to wearing them.

Making fun of people for it is just stupid.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The nation I grew up in is dead.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(05-23-2021, 07:08 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 12:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I am enjoying the people who are going to continue wearing masks to prove that they hate Trump or whatever.  It's the MAGA hat of the left.

Unless you plan on wearing it for the rest of your life, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just go ahead and not wear it any longer starting now. But whatever.

There will never be as many as there were idiots who refused to wear them because "freedom" or Trump, or whatever.

I've stopped wearing it where I don't have to, but my wife, for example, just isn't quite ready to make the change that suddenly. Which is not surprising considering how many times restaurants and other businesses opened only to have to close again after another outbreak. It will take time for people to adjust to not wearing them just as it took time to get used to wearing them.

1) We didn't open then close businesses, ever; not everywhere is insane California. Some states just didn't lock down or do masks like others.  AND, the states that didn't lock down or have mask mandates ultimately didn't do any better or worse than CA (FL and CA have very similar rates of Covid deaths last I heard).

2) When did I make fun of someone?  I just look at someone driving alone in their car wearing a mask and think "whatever."  I don't knock on their window and laugh in their face. Geez.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-24-2021, 02:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 07:08 PM)davewill Wrote:

1) We didn't open then close businesses, ever; not everywhere is insane California. Some states just didn't lock down or do masks like others.  AND, the states that didn't lock down or have mask mandates ultimately didn't do any better or worse than CA (FL and CA have very similar rates of Covid deaths last I heard).

2) When did I make fun of someone?  I just look at someone driving alone in their car wearing a mask and think "whatever."  I don't knock on their window and laugh in their face. Geez.
Hawaii opened up businesses and closed them again. It experience two shutdowns and was talking about a 3rd before things started to settle down.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Wifey and I are vaccinated and are confident enough in both science and nature to feel as if we don't need to wear masks anymore. However, when we went out this past weekend to a big box store, where masks were optional, we still wore them. Basically, we wanted to be mindful of all the people who don't feel comfortable yet about being around others without masks.

We won't be doing this forever, nor even very long. Just a little while longer until we get a feel for how people are reacting as we ease back to normality.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

[-] The following 1 user Likes Maniac Craniac's post:
  • TINASAM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 840 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Covid Update Alpha 24 2,946 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Update! dewisant 3 1,256 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Just a quick update on the Rebel... rebel100 8 1,944 03-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,716 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  MBA Update burbuja0512 10 1,750 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  MBA Update burbuja0512 8 1,606 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Update on my MBA progress ryoder 13 2,372 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Progress Update Lydia 8 1,847 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Cameron16
  Quick update barbara2bba 2 1,386 05-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Last Post: OnMyWay