Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flash cards here and clep study guide doesn't match up
I've been studying management here and passed all of the portions and when I took the practice test on principles of management in the official study guide for the Clep I got most of them wrong because the flash cards didn't go over them. What should I do?
anthonyfleming Wrote:I've been studying management here and passed all of the portions and when I took the practice test on principles of management in the official study guide for the Clep I got most of them wrong because the flash cards didn't go over them. What should I do?

know that the study guide and the IC flash cards are not actual exam questions. They are to help you know the types of questions to expect on the real exam. There are thousands of potential questions.
It would be illegal for the questions to be the same as the ones on the real exam. Each source will emphasize what they feel will be on the test, that is why we usually tell newbies never rely on just one source.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I studied flashcards, Khan Academy - Crash Course in Biology, Free-CLEP-Prep.com, and YouTube videos on anything CLEP for Biology and found that the test questions in the actual test are NOT worded like what we see in the majority of the resources I noted. I would recommend getting a syllabus for your course and the textbook that goes with it (rent it or check local library) then answer the questions from the text book per section. Don't get me wrong the InstaCert site was by far the best resource for getting me up to speed on terms and concepts but I felt like I just walked into a Latin class when I started the Biology CLEP.

The College Board CLEP study materials work great....if they use similar sentence structure in the actual test. Ohterwise, they were a waste of $20.00.

I have been far removed from any science topic for ...... let's just say a long time. I studied over a month and never found the type of questions worded they way they did on the Biology exam. There were pictures and diagrams referencing turkeys and their class or order in the taxonomy. That wasn't in the study materials. Some kind of bone structure picture which I don't know if it was a tailbone or a paint blob. I'll never know because they do not provide feedback from the test. It was very strange and I wish I had taken more time to just crack open a biology book from the local college. Ironically the questions weren't hard but they way they were written threw me off since I was expecting to see well, what we see in these flashcards and other reference guides.

Check into a textbook as an option for preparing yourself. P.S. Ask your testing center the date or issue of the test they are administering. The one I took today was written and published with a date of 2015. My study materials were 2016 from College Board. Don't know the difference but perhaps it's tip that will come in handy for someone.
Lindagerr Wrote:It would be illegal for the questions to be the same as the ones on the real exam.

Umm... no.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
hmm by the way, i think many people on this forum passed clep or dsst only using IC. That means the questions are same or identical?
It likely means that someone is familiar enough with the material to do well on both. Instacert is not a replacement for actual textbooks and lectures. Instacert works well to test yourself to see if you are retaining the information you are learning through other sources.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
@ alzee Yes having the exact questions would be like having gotten a copy of the test from the professor's desk before the final. Instantcert has been watched in the past to make sure nothing too specific has been given in specific exam feedback.

@mickey20 Have you taken of the exams yet? I have been on this site for almost 10 years and I have taken over 15 CLEP/TCEP/DSST/ECE exams. I have always used more than 1 resource. I do not buy the recommended textbook, but I use as many free or low price resources as I can find. I don't think I have ever seen a question that was exactly the same as one I studied. Yes some people can just study one resource for a short time, but maybe they had previous knowledge of the subject. For example I lived through The Vietnam war I had friends and family fight or die there, so I did not need as much study for that exam. Could someone who is 21 now and couldn't even tell you if the Vietnam war was 50 or 100 years ago do that I would be surprised.

The other problem with just one resource is do you just want to pass and get the credits or do you want to learn something? I wanted to feel if I had that credit on my transcript I did know something about it. Most of my test got a grade that was in the A equivalency suggestions for colleges that have them all of them were at or above the B suggested grade that some colleges require. Others are happy just to reach the minimum score required for credit so will study as little as possible until they feel they can pass. Each person needs to make their own informed decision based on their own requirements.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:@ alzee Yes having the exact questions would be like having gotten a copy of the test from the professor's desk before the final.

Yes it would be. That does not make it "illegal". Collegeboard or any particular school have no authority over IC or any other site on the internet. Plenty of sites other than IC do have many of the exact questions available. Getting a complete list is of course difficult -- but again, not "illegal."
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:Yes it would be. That does not make it "illegal". Collegeboard or any particular school have no authority over IC or any other site on the internet. Plenty of sites other than IC do have many of the exact questions available. Getting a complete list is of course difficult -- but again, not "illegal."

Absolutely 100% without question, Copyright Infringement is illegal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

Copyright and Trademark ownership of CLEP content: https://www.collegeboard.org/site-terms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,170 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 201 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Large study of over 10,000 participants showed the top 5 careers for millionaires LevelUP 7 635 08-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Decide your path of study... bjcheung77 2 299 07-25-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,962 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 4 815 05-11-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 896 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 519 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 1,177 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 572 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley