Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Finished MAOL! (Great experience!)
(02-24-2023, 12:33 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 08:24 PM)Yasir Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 10:04 AM)larabell Wrote: I started Sophia classes in March and enrolled at UMPI for the Summer I session. I finished my undergrad degree requirements (BLS, w/ management & education concentrations) very early in the summer II session, so immediately went to work on the MAOL using the rest of that session. 

The first two classes were LONG. Nearly every milestone was a 10 page paper, plus a 25 page final. I was able to finish the first two classes by the end of the summer, but I was concerned that when I went back to work in the fall (at a school) I wouldn't make much progress.

Fortunately, it got MUCH better after those first two classes. Many milestones in the subsequent classes were just 3-5 page papers and I was able to complete 4 courses during Fall I, and the last 3 courses, including the Capstone during Fall II. (I transferred the other 3 classes from the undergrad management concentration). I have already been accepted for an Ed.D program starting in January. I want to keep up the momentum while I have it!

Overall, I would recommend the MAOL to anyone who is comfortable with/enjoys academic writing and research. If writing is particularly challenging for you, this may not be the best fit. I am happy to answer any questions about my experiences. I would not have made it to this point without all of the information shared here. I am so grateful for UMPI, and this forum. Best of luck to everyone on their journeys!
Hi, congratulations on your graduation!

I’m starting MAOL this spring session and I wanted to ask you a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

You mentioned that the first 2 courses were long, can you elaborate on that like how many pages or videos did you have to go through? And were the other courses close to that or much shorter?

Also, did you have to record yourself speaking or doing a presentation?

Do you think it’s possible to finish the degree in one session? Cause I'm unemployed and I’ll be studying the whole time.

Lastly, what was the highest number of milestones you had in a given course and what was the lowest?

I’m sorry for bombarding you with all these questions but I’m kinda nervous because I don’t know what to expect and I kinda have to finish this degree in one session because of my financial situation. So, any help or tips would be appreciated 

Thanks and congrats again
The first course actually isn't too bad. It's about learning how to research as a grad student. It is an adjustment for undergraduate to graduate where you actually have to make sure your sources are 100% pristine. The second course, Foundations, is the beast. This is a lot of information. It will feel like the entire leadership undergrad courses all in one all over again. You'd run into many familiar theories, and then find the logic, history, and how they evolved behind each of these theories. For example you'll learn how the Great Man Theory that was brushed over in undergrad is really a racist and sexist theory, that cannot really be applied to men anymore, and the general defination changes to a born leader. You're going to learn to debate whether or not you can learn to be a leader versus it being natural traits. Now, if you're the opposite, how do you balance it? You'd learn that too. 

There are about 8 milestones per course. Sometimes it's a paper 10 pages, sometimes it is another project like a PowerPoint, a drawing board, etc. They're very mixed. Do expect the Foundations Course to be the heaviest of them all. 

I do not believe it is possible to finish this in one term. You can only have 2 courses at a time at UMPI and until you're at the final draft of one of the two, they won't unlock the third. The teachers usually do respond within 1-2 days. However, there's so much writing and so much research. The longest paper took me about 1.5 weeks to adequently research. The finals are actually pretty okay even though they're long, because many of the milestones build up into the final.

However, you do not get a "draft" in the MAOL it's one chance at the final or bust pretty much. 

If you're unemployed, ask UMPI for a financial academic judgement, they can adjust your EFC to be on your current income levels versus your 2 year old income levels, and possibly get you better financing offers.

So, if you can only take 2 courses at a time, does that mean you have waiting periods until your paper is graded and you can not do anything?

Or rather, how long does it take for them to grade your paper until you can finish the course and move on? I am asking in regards of finishing it in one term. I am thinking to take UMPI MAOL as a plan B, maybe in summer where I will have a lot of free time. Maybe invest 10 hours a day on the work.
For undergrad, it's very similar to Sophia.org, they only allow two classes at a time... There are exceptions, when you have touchstones that require grading and it's the only thing left, you can ask for a third class to be open for you. I think UMPI would be similar if you have everything done and just waiting for grading, they can see if an advisor can open another class for you. At the grad level, it may be harder to be done, but I would still ask for that anyways...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I've been getting a lot of messages on here (DegreeForum) and Discord about the MAOL and many trying to figure out how to do it in one term. I don't think it is possible to do with 1 term while you are working. There's a lot of writing and a lot of steps. Rushing through an academic program is good if you are competent in the material. However, a lot of the people messaging me don't have much experience in the business world, so you will struggle and need to take a slower pace.

Education is a goal, and a journey. It's not a finish line you're racing against the world against. Take your time if you need it.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Nemfis, rachel83az, ss20ts
(01-07-2024, 03:32 PM)ashkir Wrote: I've been getting a lot of messages on here (DegreeForum) and Discord about the MAOL and many trying to figure out how to do it in one term. I don't think it is possible to do with 1 term while you are working. There's a lot of writing and a lot of steps. Rushing through an academic program is good if you are competent in the material. However, a lot of the people messaging me don't have much experience in the business world, so you will struggle and need to take a slower pace.

Education is a goal, and a journey. It's not a finish line you're racing against the world against. Take your time if you need it.

But MAOL is more about organization and leadership and not business? 

Also, sometimes a degree is just means to an end.

They are not necessarily to be used in the professional world. Its the same as people here collecting many many, and once again, many degrees.

Besides the others, you probably also mean my question, it would be really nice if you could give me some insights regarding that question. Specifically the part with transfer credits from various sources such as sophia, UoPeople BS DS and ENEB into UMPI MAOL program. Or maybe there is an open thread already in existence here on the forum. I have not found that yet, only ones I see are in regards to the BA degree. I am just working on my plan B of getting ANY master's degree as fast as possible, since ENEB might not in progressing my plans anymore due that MFT degree and WES Canada issues.

My main qualifications are software development and some aspects of team leadership in my current team/company, so its not that I have absolutely 0 experience. But you are right, I do not come from business or from a managerial position.
(01-07-2024, 03:48 PM)ecdw94 Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 03:32 PM)ashkir Wrote: I've been getting a lot of messages on here (DegreeForum) and Discord about the MAOL and many trying to figure out how to do it in one term. I don't think it is possible to do with 1 term while you are working. There's a lot of writing and a lot of steps. Rushing through an academic program is good if you are competent in the material. However, a lot of the people messaging me don't have much experience in the business world, so you will struggle and need to take a slower pace.

But MAOL is more about organization and leadership and not business? 

Also, sometimes a degree is just means to an end.

They are not necessarily to be used in the professional world. Its the same as people here collecting many many, and once again, many degrees.

Besides the others, you probably also mean my question, it would be really nice if you could give me some insights regarding that question. Specifically the part with transfer credits from various sources such as sophia, UoPeople BS DS and ENEB into UMPI MAOL program. Or maybe there is an open thread already in existence here on the forum. I have not found that yet, only ones I see are in regards to the BA degree. I am just working on my plan B of getting ANY master's degree as fast as possible, since ENEB might not in progressing my plans anymore due that MFT degree and WES Canada issues.

My main qualifications are software development and some aspects of team leadership in my current team/company, so its not that I have absolutely 0 experience. But you are right, I do not come from business or from a managerial position.
A huge focus on organizational leadership is how business leadership is ran. 

You can only transfer in 9 credits to MAOL.

I think it'd be great if you already have some leadership experience and professional experience Smile
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Sophia is undergrad so no grad transfer credit. U of the P BS is an undergrad degree so it will not transfer in for a grad degree. I don't see ENEB transferring into UMPI for the MAOL.

Organization and leadership are areas of business. Business encompasses a vast area. Even economics is part of business and it's also a social science. A grad degree is more complex than an undergrad degree. Far more research involved. There's no value to a grad degree that one can complete in 8 weeks. Doesn't matter one's level of experience. 8 weeks is not enough time to complete 30+ grad credits and have a clue about what you've supposedly learned.
That's correct, many grad programs don't allow any type of credit transfers into their programs, especially for the competency based degree options. MAOL, MBA, MSM, are all Masters in business related subjects - Business Admin, Management, Organizational Leadership, in fact, if you search, you'll get many that have concentrations in each of their programs, most concentrations range from 3 to half the classes, that's why many programs will allow users to have additional certificates or a second concentration for those who want to have extra credentials within their Masters.

MAOL at UMPI does take time to complete, it really doesn't matter how knowledge-able or proficient one is, with the sheer number of assignments and assessments, it is very hard to complete within that one session. People need to take their energy, time, and complete a well written set of rubrics, plus complete them in an orderly fashion by making sure requirements are fully met. You can't really rush that...

Transfer credit into a Masters program is just that, you can try to find the classes and see if it transfers, but many options are much more expensive, slower, than completing the class at UMPI. Furthermore, for those doing undergrad at UMPI, they will only accept you completing the classes that exempt/transfer into the MAOL at UMPI, it can't be transferred in, there are 3-4 classes that hit the requirements, but only 3 can be used.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
Excellent work! I'm starting it in just a few days. Super excited to see what this program is about.
Thomas Edison State University
2026: Doctor of Bus. Adm
Universidad Isabel I
2023: M.B.A.
2023: Master in Business/Corporate Comm
William Patterson University
2024: M.Ed - Educational Leadership
UMPI:
2024: M.A.O.L.
2024: BABA - PM/IM
2023: B.A. - History & Political Science
2023: B.L.S. - Management
2023: A.A. - Liberal Studies
Rowan College of South Jersey:
2022: A.A. A.S. - Sociology
2023: A.A. A.S. - History
2023: A.A. A.S. - Philosophy
2023: A.A. A.S. - Psychology
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mint Berry Crunch's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
(12-19-2022, 10:28 AM)larabell Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 10:14 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 10:04 AM)larabell Wrote: I started Sophia classes in March and enrolled at UMPI for the Summer I session. I finished my undergrad degree requirements (BLS, w/ management & education concentrations) very early in the summer II session, so immediately went to work on the MAOL using the rest of that session. 

The first two classes were LONG. Nearly every milestone was a 10 page paper, plus a 25 page final. I was able to finish the first two classes by the end of the summer, but I was concerned that when I went back to work in the fall (at a school) I wouldn't make much progress.

Fortunately, it got MUCH better after those first two classes. Many milestones in the subsequent classes were just 3-5 page papers and I was able to complete 4 courses during Fall I, and the last 3 courses, including the Capstone during Fall II. (I transferred the other 3 classes from the undergrad management concentration). I have already been accepted for an Ed.D program starting in January. I want to keep up the momentum while I have it!

Overall, I would recommend the MAOL to anyone who is comfortable with/enjoys academic writing and research. If writing is particularly challenging for you, this may not be the best fit. I am happy to answer any questions about my experiences. I would not have made it to this point without all of the information shared here. I am so grateful for UMPI, and this forum. Best of luck to everyone on their journeys!
What do you do with that degree?

I think it is very useful for anyone currently in, or aspiring to a leadership position in any sector. One of the professors is actually a school principal and I found the course content to be applicable to education as well. I learned a lot about my own leadership style including areas I need to develop further. Topics included navigating change, applying ethics, managing conflict, strategy, diversity, etc. I have an interview next week to teach two business classes at a community college, so this degree also meets the 18 graduate hour requirement required to teach undergrad courses. I will update you after that interview!

Did you ever get the position?
Hi, congrats.
I would like to ask if the UMPI MAOL has the thesis/dissertation defense seminar?
Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 0 315 08-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  ENEB to UMPI MAOL? ecdw94 6 535 08-16-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI portfolio review / credit for experience Kjnova 22 1,108 07-08-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  MAOL Lupeb 25 5,531 06-26-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  UMPI MAOL joshua27 6 718 06-15-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Anyone have experience with these classes? HappyPeanut 2 469 05-09-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: HappyPeanut
  My Experience in Lea Allen's ENG 151 course Kal Di 8 1,764 05-06-2024, 05:11 PM
Last Post: ishady
  MAOL Roll Call ashkir 84 11,968 02-25-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Felt a bit unhappy with my UMPI application experience kaa314 9 1,315 12-27-2023, 12:24 AM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  MAOL admissions after finishing YourPace undergrad Junco 6 765 11-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Junco