Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fast Masters Degree?
UPDATE: WGU is a pretty good school. classes CAN be passed pretty fast but it takes time, lots of time.

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II
I remember reading about a tiny, tiny percentage of students at the Edinburgh Business School (Heriot Watt University). They booked their exams in a single block, came and sat them all on campus, then handed in their dissertation.

This is almost certainly a route only available to suitable candidates. Last time I looked, I think the nine exams were running at approx ~900GBP each? Then again, one of the best distance-learning MBAs in the world Smile
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
ShotoJuku Wrote:I did my first "real" one in just under 6-months, however I worked on it for several hours a day, seven days a week. I will graduate with my second "real" one next month; this one took a little longer, around 8-months.

What school did you attend, very interested! Smile
Yeah Shoto, you never answered this!
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I have this plan, but bear in mind I don't even have my BSLS from Excelsior yet.
My plan was to enroll at Amberton University. They have some distance business degrees, as well as a distance degree in "Professional Development," which allows you to take a variety of courses that they offer. They have 10 week terms. They are cheap (About 700 for a three credit class, regardless of in state, out of state, graduate, or undergraduate) and regionally accredited.

A thing that's been going around is using Vesi courses. They are self paced teaching courses, that one poster on this forum said can be done at about two weeks per course. Amberton accepts 12 credits for transfer. So taking those courses, getting them transcripted, would leave you with 24 credits. Then you can take what you want, including getting certificates in things like Human Resource Managment and other business things. Those certificates can be a part of your degree.

They are a counseling/Business school, so I was planning to take counseling courses to prep for a possible job in Counseling Psychology later on. If they accept the vesi courses, I planned to take two courses per term, which I calculated at around 48-56 weeks + However long it takes me to finish the vesi courses. Good luck.
Sorry. I forgot to post the link:
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...pment.html
dcan Wrote:Yeah Shoto, you never answered this!

I asked shoto in private message he said:

My first Masters Degree (Psychology) took 6-months and the second Masters Degree (MBA) took 9-months; both from Online Degree Programs - California Coast University .

Wow thats impressive!!
Def gonna look it that, I believe it is DETC accredited. (This regional vs national accreditaion is confusing and annoying. Sorry just had to rant Wink )
I was under the distinct impression that RA beat NA regardless of what level of school you are attending. But recently I've seen things written to the effect that RA/NA is not the only split at the grad level and above, and that it is not as relevant. For MBA the issue becomes AACSP vs ACBSP and then whether you are "Top 5" or "Top 10" or whatever ranking out of all business schools in the country. That just means "I graduated from blah blah prestigious school and blah blah" which is impressive to other people who went to the same kinds of schools, and since they are the ones doing the hiring it becomes an issue for executive level work I guess.

For other degrees I'm not sure how much RA/NA becomes an issue, or even if it is very relevant at all, other than for whether or not an RA school would accept you as a PhD candidate with an NA master's -- would they even recognize it as a "legitimate" degree prepping you for high-level research? No idea.

Clarification: RA is THE way to go for undergrad, period. You can transfer RA to NA, but not the other way, so why screw around with NA at all for your undergrad degree? But for grad and beyond I think it may be a bit less straightforward.

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

I do not recommend NA to anyone due to the fact that RA schools are the ones most people think about and they will not accept any RA credits for the most part.
But, my friend has a doctorate in physical therapy (DPT) from a well regarded NA b&m school in FL. I think that this may be the exception rather than the rule, however.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I guess it really depends on the industry too. I knew a guy who did a bachelors in IT at UoP then immediately did a master's from UoP as well. But he is military, and his current (and likely future, when he retires) employer (DISA) will probably favor his experience and see the degree as a square-filler more than anything. Some industries are like that.

Not saying UoP is not RA, just that it is frowned upon in most circles the way NA is, but it "works" maybe for some people. But I wouldn't do it myself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,268 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 464 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,609 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 457 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 9,033 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,508 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,482 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,654 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 835 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 2,058 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema