Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Comp 102 advice needed
(06-12-2021, 10:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: odie313, I was streaming/watching a movie earlier, forgot to ask you questions and provide you even more options!  Anyways, do you belong to a workplace union? You can go for the EGCC Associates if you've not got one yet: https://www.egccfreecollege.org/ If you do, the EGCC actually ladders to a Bachelors and it can be inexpensive too! https://www.unionlowcostdegrees.org/  Do you get tuition assistance or reimbursement? It might be worth while to take courses that are "more expensive" using this option.

Have you retired or are you a senior, like 65? Are you a service person/vet? Many colleges provide cheap/free tuition! If you're in a state where credits are cheap like California, you can try taking courses in your own state community college - I think that's where you completed the bulk of your credits.  Anyways, since you completed English I at a college, see if it's worth while and comparable in price to complete English II there.  Here's the Luna example I mentioned, it's $40/credit, seniors are only $5/credit and whatever their other fees are.

Last but not least, skip TESU for UMPI.  Complete your Sophia.org courses for Lower Level and take the English II course at UMPI.  If you finish in 3 terms, that's just $4200, it'll be cheaper than TESU's cornerstone/capstone plus the residency waiver.  I suggest getting most of your courses at Sophia.org first, as you already have a Language requirement completed.  You just need the "minor" and remaining 30 residency credits.  That beats taking any of the above courses mentioned and save you cash over TESU!  That's the collective power of this board!

Not part of a workplace union, nor do I have access to tuition assistance or reimbursement.

Not retired, nor am I a senior. I did serve in the military, but was discharged with a general rather than an honorable.

When I first decided to continue with my education was back in 2017. I found this forum back then, and a lot of the posts were regarding TESU for the BSBA GM degree. UMPI was not option I remember seeing back then. I am locked into the 2017 catalog, only because i tried and failed to pass the BUS-421 Capstone, this was right before they made it mandatory to take the class.

Jumping from TESU to UMPI is intriguing. I did look at some previous posts regarding UMPI, which left me with some questions.

It seems a person would need to have 30 residency credits at UMPI. Can those units be split between 2 AOS. Example BABA Project Management and a BABA Management and Leadership.

Are there some classes that I have to take at UMPI or can I transfer them in.

Would I need to have all of my non-UMPI courses done before send in my transcripts for an evaluation.

I have included the Academic Evaluation from TESU.

Attached Files
.txt   Academic Eval - TESU.txt (Size: 14.68 KB / Downloads: 10)
Hmm. You're a vet then? You have several options, stay with TESU or transfer to UMPI. I've got the two documents, you may want to delete them or move them from the post, it has your personal details. You can remove that personal details area and re-upload, I generally would recommend a screen capture to PDF option, just select and copy whatever details you need (without personal info) and save to PDF.

You can get Fireshot (which was recommended to me by Rachel83Az) as an extension to your browser for this and it works great, plus it's free with regular updates! I'll do a cost/value analysis to see which option would be better. You may want to use your Vet status for either university and see if it comes out cheaper/easier/faster either route. I'll update you later today... I don't think you have any courses at TESU for residency, I am leaning towards UMPI.

To answer your question, you can do a double minor at UMPI to use up the 30 required credits, such as a BABA Project Management & Management+Leadership.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I am a bit unclear how it all works but aren't all current & former military eligible for TESU residency by taking TECEPs? You've already got most requirements filled, so you might have to be a bit creative... but taking 8 TECEPs would work out to be less at this point than tuition at UMPI.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
odie313 Wrote:Jumping from TESU to UMPI is intriguing. I did look at some previous posts regarding UMPI, which left me with some questions.

It seems a person would need to have 30 residency credits at UMPI. Can those units be split between 2 AOS. Example BABA Project Management and a BABA Management and Leadership.

Would I need to have all of my non-UMPI courses done before send in my transcripts for an evaluation.

I thought I answered the other two, but didn't seem to have updated my answer for some reason. Anyways, for the UMPI classes, you should do them after you get an evaluation. The application is free, so apply, send them all your transcripts, wait for an evaluation. Post the updated evaluation into a reply and again, remove your personal details/student number, etc. We can advise to either take the courses (up to 30 credits or more), and which courses to transfer in from alternative providers. Get the application/transcripts done first... wait for my next analysis...

(06-13-2021, 11:33 AM)odie313 Wrote: Jumping from TESU to UMPI is intriguing. I did look at some previous posts regarding UMPI, which left me with some questions.

To answer your UMPI questions, yes you can complete 2 concentrations which is was the BABA in PM and BABA in Man & Lead would be. 2 concentrations would probably put you over 120 credits. 

You need complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI including most of the UL courses. 

It is best to complete all of your transfer courses before applying because once you're accepted you're basically enrolled. If you want to transfer in another class once you're enrolled you need permission from your academic advisor. They've been pretty flexible but they're starting to make some changes to the program now that it's been around for a few years and is being evaluated by the CBE accreditation board. 

The $1400 per term is all inclusive. There are no additional textbooks or software that is needed. There are no additional fees. Each term is 8 weeks and you can complete as many courses as you can during that 8 weeks.
(06-13-2021, 11:33 AM)odie313 Wrote: When I first decided to continue with my education was back in 2017. I found this forum back then, and a lot of the posts were regarding TESU for the BSBA GM degree. UMPI was not option I remember seeing back then. I am locked into the 2017 catalog, only because i tried and failed to pass the BUS-421 Capstone, this was right before they made it mandatory to take the class.

Jumping from TESU to UMPI is intriguing. I did look at some previous posts regarding UMPI, which left me with some questions.

I have included the Academic Evaluation from TESU.

So, my first question is, are you still locked into that catalog?  Because if you registered for a TECEP in 2017, then your enrollment should have expired after a year, and you should have been kicked out (ok, that's probably the wrong word, but you get my drift).  You would have lost the enrollment and would need to reapply as a new student, making you have to take the cornerstone as well as the capstone.

Honestly, if you're still locked in, then you're probably better off at TESU because it's so easy to finish there.  You don't even need the cornerstone, you just need the capstone.  Yeah, it's a pain to pay for the residency waiver, but to only have to take a single course - I'd give it some thought.
________________________________________________________________________________

If TESU extends their military "benefits" to vets (it doesn't say they do on their website, so I don't know), then you should DEFINITELY make sure you're locked in and then do the degree there - because then you take the capstone for $750, 7 TECEP exams of your choice for $1050, and you're a "resident" and don't have to pay the residency waiver. $1750 plus minor fees.
________________________________________________________________________________

If you're still locked in, you may also want to see if you can take Prin of Finance and Prin of Marketing as LL, and have TESU move MAR-301 and FIN-301 to the AoS.  They used to do this, not sure if they still do - but it then makes your path even easier.  You just need 2 UL courses instead of 4 at that point.

Honestly, I'd get the TESU thing situated prior to making any decisions about switching yet.  If you are locked in, you may choose to stay because it's easy to finish.  If you're considered military, then it's cheaper to stay at TESU.  If you're not locked in, then your cost goes up a lot.  And if you're not military and not locked in, then it's easy - make the switch.

For the UMPI BABA degree, it is not like the BLS in that there are not nearly as many electives, and the concentrations are 8 courses instead of 6 - so if you choose 2, then you have 15 courses to complete there (there's 1 course of overlap). I would consider applying, and seeing what's left, and figure out how much it would cost to take the remaining courses through Sophia and Study.com, to leave just 10 courses at UMPI (I'm going to guess that you should leave 6 courses for the PM concentration, and 3 for the major, and try to take the rest through other options).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Does UMPI accept Aleks college algebra or The Institute ethics course.
odie313, Thanks for the reply.  I am not sure if you're interested in an Associates or not as a starting point, since you're not eligible for the one I mentioned above, you may want to go for the Pierpont BOG AAS as a stepping stone.  It will only cost you transcripts, while you wait, it may be an ego booster and give you more momentum to finish the Bachelors.  

A few members have gone for it while working on their Bachelors.  If interested, view this Wiki, if not skip it: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC   OR, If you have decide on TESU, you can skip it, you can add an Associates en route if you needed as long as it doesn't take any of your energy/money/time to get it.

Since it's a Monday, you may want to get in contact with Academic Advising asking them to clear up a few things within your account.  It mentions a JST in your evaluation but I don't see it anywhere, was this sent in?  Ask to see if you're entered into the system as a civilian or a veteran.  Ask about tuition, TECEPS or PLA's meeting residency requirements, and anything you have in mind. 

You may want to get more clarification as this page is somewhat unclear about what they provide for inactive vets.  You also want to make sure you know your catalog year, if it's kept at 2017 or not.  Link: https://www.tesu.edu/military/active-and...ive-status

(06-14-2021, 04:16 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Since it's a Monday, you may want to get in contact with Academic Advising asking them to clear up a few things within your account.  It mentions a JST in your evaluation but I don't see it anywhere, was this sent in?  Ask to see if you're entered into the system as a civilian or a veteran.  Ask about tuition, TECEPS or PLA's meeting residency requirements, and anything you have in mind. 

You may want to get more clarification as this page is somewhat unclear about what they provide for inactive vets.  You also want to make sure you know your catalog year, if it's kept at 2017 or not.  Link: https://www.tesu.edu/military/active-and...ive-status

I just sent an email to enrolled@tesu asking them if their Military Tuition rate benefits are extended to Veterans. I also asked them, as an inactive student was I still locked in to the 2017 catalog. After looking at the link you provided, it seems I am not; and I will have to reapply and be working from the current (2020-2021) catalog.
(06-13-2021, 06:50 PM)odie313 Wrote: Does UMPI accept Aleks college algebra or The Institute ethics course.

They have accepted Aleks courses in the past. Don't know about The Institutes. UMPI is also evaluating ACE courses so things may change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tamuc & WGU planning advice onward25 4 69 13 minutes ago
Last Post: onward25
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 5 170 2 hours ago
Last Post: allvia
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 248 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 535 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,190 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Orientation help needed (CS) alexeo_13 18 784 09-05-2024, 04:03 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan,Urgent Help Needed! edward.ri 1 283 08-28-2024, 11:27 AM
  DSST testing advice (for beginner) audpants 2 192 08-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,345 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM
  Seeking Advice on Pursuing an MBA for Career Advancement in the USA leop25 4 520 08-26-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Leojames26