Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does TECEP count towards (30) RA credits at TESU?
(08-28-2024, 11:36 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Mostly, that sounds like 'out of stock' or 'out of service'... What's OOS you mentioned? Out of savings?  Review TESU WIKI here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...University

Out of State

(08-28-2024, 12:14 PM)davewill Wrote:
(08-28-2024, 11:36 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Mostly, that sounds like 'out of stock' or 'out of service'... What's OOS you mentioned? Out of savings?  Review TESU WIKI here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...University

I think he means "Out of State".

(08-28-2024, 11:26 AM)Harrynguyen Wrote: If thats the case then how do I take more teceps? What about e-packs? The thing that scares me is the residency fee since I'm OOS.

Well, residency is the one thing that TECEPs won't help you with. If you use TECEPs instead of regular courses, then you won't have 15 resident credits, and you'll have to pay the residency waiver fee. That's what I meant when I said it would cost more.

EPacks are regular courses, and they will count towards residency.

One way to mitigate the risk of not completing a 15cr term successfully is to consider paying for an extension of the capstone course. If after getting halfway through the course, you realize that you are behind and under too much time pressure, you can file for an extension of the capstone, which will give you up to an extra 8 weeks to finish, at the cost of a couple hundred dollars.

Without that pressure, finishing the rest of the course load should not be too difficult.
https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/course-extension
But isn't the capstone the last thing you're suppose to finish before you graduate? Dang that sucks... I should just not do the TECEPS to begin with then. Or should I do it? What do you recommend? From the wiki, TECEPS seems like a free trial to see how it will be like when going full time? Dang, I think I picked a wrong class, could I tell the admission counselor to switched to another class? I picked environmental ethics but I did that for sophia for environmental science, not sure if they match. This seems overwhelming... I feel like I just need to do the study.com before committing and having to evaluate again.
(08-19-2024, 10:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, TECEPs are the best option to get RA credits if you're going TESU, you want to use that for the entry or introductory level exams for a better chance of passing the exam.  I would highly recommend getting at least a few of these, especially since the last few months, TESU has been offering scholarships for at least two to 5, up to 7 TECEPs all for free.

How do I find out about the free TECEPs?  That would be fantastic!  I saw they offered that last year but haven't seen anything currently.
kt320

In Progress:
TESU - BSAST Degree in Aviation Flight Technology

Completed:
TECEP - Meteorology
TESU - SOS-110
Sophia - Intro to Ethics, Art History I & II, Developing Effective Teams, US History I & II, Algebra 1
(08-28-2024, 08:36 PM)kt320 Wrote:
(08-19-2024, 10:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, TECEPs are the best option to get RA credits if you're going TESU, you want to use that for the entry or introductory level exams for a better chance of passing the exam.  I would highly recommend getting at least a few of these, especially since the last few months, TESU has been offering scholarships for at least two to 5, up to 7 TECEPs all for free.

How do I find out about the free TECEPs?  That would be fantastic!  I saw they offered that last year but haven't seen anything currently.
The offer was emailed out directly to individuals from tesu. I received it. I have applied to tesu but not enrolled, so maybe they are targeting that category. If you did not get the offer and are already enrolled, it can't hurt to ask your advisor if you are eligible.

(08-28-2024, 12:30 PM)Harrynguyen Wrote:

Out of State

(08-28-2024, 12:14 PM)davewill Wrote:

I think he means "Out of State".

(08-28-2024, 11:26 AM)Harrynguyen Wrote: If thats the case then how do I take more teceps? What about e-packs? The thing that scares me is the residency fee since I'm OOS.

Well, residency is the one thing that TECEPs won't help you with. If you use TECEPs instead of regular courses, then you won't have 15 resident credits, and you'll have to pay the residency waiver fee. That's what I meant when I said it would cost more.

EPacks are regular courses, and they will count towards residency.

One way to mitigate the risk of not completing a 15cr term successfully is to consider paying for an extension of the capstone course. If after getting halfway through the course, you realize that you are behind and under too much time pressure, you can file for an extension of the capstone, which will give you up to an extra 8 weeks to finish, at the cost of a couple hundred dollars.

Without that pressure, finishing the rest of the course load should not be too difficult.
https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/course-extension
But isn't the capstone the last thing you're suppose to finish before you graduate? Dang that sucks... I should just not do the TECEPS to begin with then. Or should I do it? What do you recommend? From the wiki, TECEPS seems like a free trial to see how it will be like when going full time? Dang, I think I picked a wrong class, could I tell the admission counselor to switched to another class? I picked environmental ethics but I did that for sophia for environmental science, not sure if they match. This seems overwhelming... I feel like I just need to do the study.com before committing and having to evaluate again.
TECEPs are nothing like taking a class at Thomas Edison State university. They are more akin to CLEPs. You are responsible for teaching yourself all the material prior to the test. Each test has an associated study guide which is basically a practice test and a list of suggested reading materials (usually textbooks). Sometimes they recommend that you read all of the recommended materials, sometimes they say reading one or two will cover all the information you need to know for the test.

The environmental ethics tecep is supposed to be one of the most difficult ones. There is a free course on Saylor that was designed to prepare people for the TECEP, but people on this board have reported that the course did not prepare them enough and that they failed the test. So you probably need to do this saylor course and the suggested readings. Or you can ask your advisor to withdraw you from it.

The good news is that even if you fail, taking the test clinches your enrollment in TESU.

If you have further questions, check out the degree forum wiki at degreeforum.miraheze.org and the section of the Thomas Edison University website that talks about these tests. They make it very clear what you need to do to prepare.

As for whether you should take these tests, none of us can tell you that. Taking them or not taking them will not affect the cost of taking actual classes at Thomas Edison State University unless you are in the military.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • Harrynguyen
(08-28-2024, 12:30 PM)Harrynguyen Wrote: But isn't the capstone the last thing you're suppose to finish before you graduate? Dang that sucks... I should just not do the TECEPS to begin with then. Or should I do it? What do you recommend? From the wiki, TECEPS seems like a free trial to see how it will be like when going full time? Dang, I think I picked a wrong class, could I tell the admission counselor to switched to another class? I picked environmental ethics but I did that for sophia for environmental science, not sure if they match. This seems overwhelming... I feel like I just need to do the study.com before committing and having to evaluate again.

LOL, I should have known OOS was Out of State, instead of Out of Savings... For some reason I was thinking of cashflow! Anyways, the capstone/cornerstone are the required residency credits, just those 6 credits. To get the residency waiver, you need 15 - thus, 9 other credits that are either e-packs (exams) or actual classes. You can take any e-pack or class as I pointed out on the WIKI, these are the easier ones to decide from and there are a few selections... Don't over think, just do it...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Harrynguyen
(08-28-2024, 12:30 PM)Harrynguyen Wrote: But isn't the capstone the last thing you're suppose to finish before you graduate? Dang that sucks... I should just not do the TECEPS to begin with then. Or should I do it? What do you recommend? From the wiki, TECEPS seems like a free trial to see how it will be like when going full time? Dang, I think I picked a wrong class, could I tell the admission counselor to switched to another class? I picked environmental ethics but I did that for sophia for environmental science, not sure if they match. This seems overwhelming... I feel like I just need to do the study.com before committing and having to evaluate again.

In general, yes, but they'll let you register and take the capstone once you've reached 100cr, so doing it during a final 15cr term is fine.

I took the Env Ethics TECEP and used the Saylor Env Ethics course as prep. It's a tough test with 5 essays and requires serious self-study to pass. A lot of TECEPs are like that. They are not easy ways to get credit, they are merely cheap and if you know the material and are a good test taker, they can be fast. I did it because way back in the stone age, there weren't many other choices to meet the ethics requirement, I probably wouldn't choose it now.

I do think you should probably do all or most of your ACE credits (like Sophia) first, if you're unsure about which path to take. Withdrawing from a TECEP is exactly like withdrawing from a course. You have to do it before the deadlines to get your money back.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-29-2024, 10:58 AM)davewill Wrote:

In general, yes, but they'll let you register and take the capstone once you've reached 100cr, so doing it during a final 15cr term is fine.

I took the Env Ethics TECEP and used the Saylor Env Ethics course as prep. It's a tough test with 5 essays and requires serious self-study to pass. A lot of TECEPs are like that. They are not easy ways to get credit, they are merely cheap and if you know the material and are a good test taker, they can be fast. I did it because way back in the stone age, there weren't many other choices to meet the ethics requirement, I probably wouldn't choose it now.

I do think you should probably do all or most of your ACE credits (like Sophia) first, if you're unsure about which path to take. Withdrawing from a TECEP is exactly like withdrawing from a course. You have to do it before the deadlines to get your money back.

Oh I see, dang I should have chose SOC-1010 or anything but that... Yeah I already did majority of the Sophia courses. Oh I get it now, the way I look at TECEP/E-Packs, they're like actual courses whereas the TECEP it doesn't affect your GPA. It just helps with getting a free credit but then I just don't understand why it doesn't go towards the RWF is beyond me. I got it for free but if I drop it then I have to pay a fee?
(08-29-2024, 05:24 PM)Harrynguyen Wrote:

Oh I see, dang I should have chose SOC-1010 or anything but that... Yeah I already did majority of the Sophia courses. Oh I get it now, the way I look at TECEP/E-Packs, they're like actual courses whereas the TECEP it doesn't affect your GPA. It just helps with getting a free credit but then I just don't understand why it doesn't go towards the RWF is beyond me. I got it for free but if I drop it then I have to pay a fee?

You just signed up for it this week, so you shouldn't have to pay a fee if you drop it now.

E-packs and TECEPs are different. E-packs are more structured.

It sounds like you could spend some time reading the TESU catalog to familiarize yourself with the different options. I would also recommend doing the "how to be a student at TESU" optional modules that they signed you up for when you were accepted. They only take a couple hours and will answer a lot of your questions. TESU would have sent you an email about it.
  • Harrynguyen
(08-29-2024, 05:33 PM)wow Wrote:
(08-29-2024, 05:24 PM)Harrynguyen Wrote:

You just signed up for it this week, so you shouldn't have to pay a fee if you drop it now.

E-packs and TECEPs are different. E-packs are more structured.

It sounds like you could spend some time reading the TESU catalog to familiarize yourself with the different options. I would also recommend doing the "how to be a student at TESU" optional modules that they signed you up for when you were accepted. They only take a couple hours and will answer a lot of your questions. TESU would have sent you an email about it.

Okay, I will drop it. Oh I see, okay thank for that. I appreciate it.
Good luck!
  • Harrynguyen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Instacert for Abnormal Psych TECEP wow 0 126 08-27-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: wow
  Anyone take the TECEP for Meteorology? kt320 3 1,137 08-19-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: wow
  TECEP Financial Accounting Carnation 1 555 08-09-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 1 581 06-11-2024, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Himmaing55
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 4 1,585 05-20-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 690 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  Need 300/400 level credits? tomheany 4 1,054 01-16-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 1,417 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 464 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 2,031 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada