Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doctorate or no?
UOS has good name recognition and curriculum (for that area of spiritual study).  I'm doing ETS for ordination and a chance to write a meaningful thesis towards the doctorate.  If you're not doing ordination (weddings), ETS might be light on the value.  For more bibilical background, the bible schools look good.  By the time I get done doing 2+ of these programs (and self-study), I'll feel more comfortable throwing the DDiv title around.
[-] The following 2 users Like jb111's post:
  • burbuja0512, Chankosumo
Well thanks to this thread, I enrolled at the University of Sedona. It was exactly what I wanted and I got really jealous (LOL) that my husband and son are studying while I'm not. I'm so glad I stumbled across the information that you guys provided that brought me down the rabbit hole that ended up with me finding UoS.

It's not the cheapest option but with the scholarship, the $25 dollar a month cost is incredibly affordable and it looks like they really do provide quite a lot of learning for the option. I'll eventually make a post to provide information for those who might be information, but we're obviously many months away from that. Thanks again for the great post.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • Chankosumo, jb111
Awesome.  I think you made a great choice.  Please keep us posted on your degree choice and progress.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • burbuja0512
(07-07-2024, 07:01 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Interesting thread. For my own personal interests I found the Esoteric Theological Seminar doctorate fascinating, but it doesn't seem to have any actual learning on it.... I love the concept, but might feel a bit guilty using the title "doctor" after just having written a little about my religious background and a 4000 word essay. What are your thoughts on this?

Of course the ETS doctorate brought me down the rabbit hole of the University of Sedona which is considerably more expensive but seems to have an actual program that could take a year or two and might impart a bit more knowledge upon the learner. (Key word being "might") It's a lot more money but when you break it down on a monthly basis, it's still only $25 bucks a month which is not bad to give me something new to study if it turns out to be interesting, though I have ZERO practical use for it.

What do you guys think about the ETS vs UOS doctorates or are they both just not really worth the money?

UNIVERSITY OF SEDONA

On the FAQ page of the University of Sedona, I saw the last two questions at the bottom.

"How much is the annual affiliation with the International Metaphysical Ministry?
$80 (or $140 for two years).

Why do I have to pay an annual affiliation?
The International Metaphysical Ministry (IMM) gives accreditation to the degree programs and gives you the legal right to use your degrees and titles. Your degree status is contingent upon maintaining a good standing with the IMM."

"The University of Metaphysics and the University of Sedona are private, postsecondary, distance-learning theological schools operating under the auspices of the International Metaphysical Ministry (IMM)." [From their tab, About Us -> International Metaphysical Ministry]

"In order to ensure that you are legally entitled to use your degree titles after your name, the International Metaphysical Ministry gives your degree(s) their legal status. If you're not an active Minister or don't intend to have a ministry, you'll still be required to renew your annual affiliation fee of $80. This ensures your good standing with the International Metaphysical Ministry, and thus the use of your ministerial degree titles." [From the download next to the last question on the FAQ page]

So, it seems you have to pay a yearly fee to have the legal right to use the degrees. If you stop paying the annual affiliation fee, they may or may not verify your degree or produce an official transcript to your prospective school or employer. If you'll be getting a lot of clients (i.e. weddings, counseling, etc.) regularly after your graduation, then the fee will seem insignificant. Conversely, if you don't plan on using it at all, then not paying the fee wouldn't cause problems for you. Maybe you just want to hang the degree on your wall for personal satisfaction.

ESOTERIC THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY

Some people may feel that a 4,000 word essay and a spiritual history isn't challenging enough for a doctorate degree. Writing a 1-3 page spiritual history is probably easy, but writing a 4,000 word topical essay may not be as easy, depending on the grading rubric and grader. The seminary states that it has 400+ spiritual lessons available online for their doctoral students, but it seems to be an optional supplement to the 4,000 word essay assignment.

Also, it is worth considering that each seminary has different breadths and depths of education based on the specific learning needs for their students. It's not uncommon for non-Christian/Catholic/Jewish seminaries to have less curriculum requirements for their degree programs.

OVERALL

I believe the best affordable religious colleges / universities have a positive online reputation (from user reviews via social media or third party review sites like TrustPilot) and a religious exemption from the state and/or third party accreditation (not limited to USDOE or CHEA accrediting organizations). The UoS is a good example, despite my dislike of their annual affiliation fee. Conversely, ETS has a neutral online reputation due to their lack of popularity. Neither are bad options though.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

[-] The following 2 users Like Kal Di's post:
  • burbuja0512, jb111
(07-09-2024, 08:10 PM)jb111 Wrote: Awesome.  I think you made a great choice.  Please keep us posted on your degree choice and progress.

So far I like the program and there are a TON of learning options.  The curriculum can be done quickly or slowly.  You can rush through it, or you can do all the exercises they provide and they even have daily and weekly videos they put out.    I'm opting to do it slowly because the whole reason I'm doing it is to learn about metaphysics.    If someone wanted to rush through it quickly, I think that there are better choices than the UoS.  

However, with my schedule and the amount of free time I have right now, which is a lot, I still don't think it'll take me more than a year to do this.   I'm really loving the coursework so I study for hours on end and the time passes very quickly.  DEFINITELY not for everyone, but if you're the type of person who would be reading metaphysical books on your own anyway, I would say just enroll.  UoS offers a TON of support too.  I'm impressed so far but will eventually post an update after I've been at it for a while.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • jb111
Somehow I missed this thread earlier.

As a follow up question to the original posts, does anyone know of an accredited NA, ATS or equivalent doctoral degree offered by any theological school for under 10 or 15,000 ?

Obviously the "free" or next to free programs mentioned here are unaccredited, but just as obviously the utility is limited.

I would feel very self conscious calling myself "doctor" without having SOME form of accreditation attached to the degree... even if it is only silver (NA) or Bronze (state level or something faith based like ATS).

I looked over the Queens Theology programs and the free masters can be completed in a single semester.... feels too much like a diploma mill at that point.
(07-20-2024, 01:00 AM)FireMedic_Philosopher Wrote: As a follow up question to the original posts, does anyone know of an accredited NA, ATS or equivalent doctoral degree offered by any theological school for under 10 or 15,000 ?

NationsUniversity (NA DEAC) is expected to open a DMin in Evangelism this year using CBE modality with ultra low-cost subscription pricing. Restoration movement (Stone-Campbell).

South College (RA) offers a DMin (and see DegreeInfo thread) using CBE modality with decent subscription pricing, and offers a first responder grant. For-profit; the program is non-denominational Christian.

Kairos University (RA and ATS) offers a DMin, ThD, and PhD in Christian subjects using CBE modality with decent subscription pricing. Evangelical.

St Augustine College of South Africa (SAQA South African accreditation) offers a PhD at low cost online. Roman Catholic.

South African Theological Seminary (SAQA South African accreditation) offers a PhD at low cost online. Evangelical.

Theological University of Apeldoorn (Netherlands accreditation) offers a PhD at low cost online. Dutch Reformed.

Liberty University Rawlings School of Divinity (RA, and some programs ATS) DMin and PhD students enrolled between 7 and 15 credit hours in a term are charged a block rate of $2750. Evangelical and Southern Baptist.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
(07-20-2024, 04:40 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(07-20-2024, 01:00 AM)FireMedic_Philosopher Wrote: As a follow up question to the original posts, does anyone know of an accredited NA, ATS or equivalent doctoral degree offered by any theological school for under 10 or 15,000 ?

NationsUniversity (NA DEAC) is expected to open a DMin in Evangelism this year using CBE modality with ultra low-cost subscription pricing. Restoration movement (Stone-Campbell).

South College (RA) offers a DMin (and see DegreeInfo thread) using CBE modality with decent subscription pricing, and offers a first responder grant. For-profit; the program is non-denominational Christian.

Kairos University (RA and ATS) offers a DMin, ThD, and PhD in Christian subjects using CBE modality with decent subscription pricing. Evangelical.

St Augustine College of South Africa (SAQA South African accreditation) offers a PhD at low cost online. Roman Catholic.

South African Theological Seminary (SAQA South African accreditation) offers a PhD at low cost online. Evangelical.

Theological University of Apeldoorn (Netherlands accreditation) offers a PhD at low cost online. Dutch Reformed.

Liberty University Rawlings School of Divinity (RA, and some programs ATS) DMin and PhD students enrolled between 7 and 15 credit hours in a term are charged a block rate of $2750. Evangelical and Southern Baptist.
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Not necessarily looking for a religious doctorate. Just thinking those of -some- faith based schools are cheaper than other options.

ETS, Queens, and the others are certainly cheap,but lack any accreditation.
(07-20-2024, 04:40 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:

The total cost of the doctorate of philosophy at St. Augustine College of South Africa is slightly over $2,000 USD (according to today's currency exchange rate). I think this is the cheapest doctorate degree that is accredited by a governmental organization.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MIT doctorate without a bachelors degree Robson 2 371 08-17-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 13 2,957 08-16-2024, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Heartstrings
  Seeking Doctorate in National Security or Public Policy FireMedic_Philosopher 34 3,123 06-19-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Doctorate in Ed? VintageGirl85 4 685 06-06-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Stonybeach
  $15000 Doctorate NA ashkir 141 21,626 05-29-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  32-credit doctorate in systems engineer? It's possible! sanantone 4 2,418 04-07-2024, 10:55 PM
  DBA from EIU Paris - 2yrs total €5000 WES recognised as Doctorate? FrHaseKopf 5 1,213 03-17-2024, 11:15 PM
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 1,593 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 8,502 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 1,602 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM