Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Doctorate or no? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+---- Forum: Doctorate Degree Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Doctorate-Degree-Discussion)
+---- Thread: Doctorate or no? (/Thread-Doctorate-or-no)

Pages: 1 2

Doctorate or no? - jb111 - 06-24-2024

Hi.  I don't need a doctorate but would like the title "Doctor".  When the Gambit business school offer was posted this morning, I got excited for a minute.  Something was wrong with the faces though and sure enough this (and the sister forum) called them out long ago.  Is there a class of doctorates that is not AACSB/Regional accredited but has a decent or even neutral reputation?  I obviously don't want a diploma mill.

I don't want to pay more than 5K (incredibly limiting, I know).  I like CUE but not sure I can handle translating several hundred lessons - also worried broken English will reduce my absorption like ENEB did.  A positive would be if WGU or ENEB covered some of the first classes <-So far the Philippines has looked the closest for that (and takes pressure off their short time-limit).

Has anyone looked further into the other eMagister offerings?  There's something called a Doctrinal Doctorate-sounds kinda like Ethereal but so many interesting topics.  They may be the same/worse than ENEB due to translation.

My fiancée told me not to waste my (really our) money on an expensive doctorate.  She knows my strengths/passions (technology, spirituality and psychology) and feels a 5K or less masters in these topics may be better fit the budget/motivation level.  I'm in no rush but would like to have something identified by end of summer.  Thanks

Other info:
Live in Virginia
Work in Cybersecurity assurance/governance (not hands on technical)
Semi-retiring in 5 years if all goes well
TESU-BA
WGU-Masters Cybersecurity
ENEB-MBA+

RE: Doctorate or no? - bjcheung77 - 06-24-2024

Just like this person here, I'll suggest you looking at your previous threads and posts to get an idea of what you want, then search the board for options that may exist for you and create a shortlist. Work towards that shortlist, an example is work on UK Level 8 diploma and then decide later to ladder that to a CAN/UK/US institution that will accept them: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Doctoral-Study-Options

RE: Doctorate or no? - newdegree - 06-24-2024

Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time with Gambit Business School since it holds no accreditation and is pretty much a degree mill. No one in Singapore knows about this school and there appears to be no physical office. Realistically I would search for other options, you might find a program that fits your budget maybe GlobalNXT DBA in Malaysia costs about $6K, AMA University in the Philippines has a DBA for $5K, and I'm more if you do a bit more research.

RE: Doctorate or no? - MichaelGates - 06-24-2024

(06-24-2024, 10:18 AM)jb111 Wrote:  Has anyone looked further into the other eMagister offerings?  There's something called a Doctrinal Doctorate-sounds kinda like Ethereal but so many interesting topics.  They may be the same/worse than ENEB due to translation.
Were you looking at a Uniclau Laude International Christian University degree on eMagister?

RE: Doctorate or no? - jb111 - 06-24-2024

Yes Michael, it was Uniclau Laude International Christian University. I think they make you take at least four religious classes before you get to your subject

RE: Doctorate or no? - Kal Di - 06-24-2024

(06-24-2024, 10:18 AM)jb111 Wrote: My fiancée told me not to waste my (really our) money on an expensive doctorate.  She knows my strengths/passions (technology, spirituality and psychology).

Your fiancée noted that spirituality is one of your strengths and/or passions. I don't know if Christianity represents your spirituality. If so, Queens College of Theology has two tuition-free degrees (a master in ministry and doctorate in biblical studies). It's an unaccredited school with a religious exemption from the University of North Carolina's college system. As noted in another post, one of the forum members had their ENEB master's degree accepted for admission into their doctoral degree program.

Accreditation is always ideal, especially for secular careers. It's less important for religious careers. If you don't intend on working in the megachurch ministry or the top Christian humanitarian organizations, you shouldn't worry too much about accreditation.

I'm not sure if Queens has applied for accreditation from a CHEA or USDOE accrediting association. So, the school might remain unaccredited for a while, but you'll have the title of "Doctor" if you complete their degree program.

They're a non-denominational seminary who encourages enrollment regardless of someone's Christian denomination.

https://www.queenstheology.org/

If Christianity doesn't represent your spirituality, you may want to consider the Esoteric Theological Seminary (a 501c3 organization). You just need to complete an application, spiritual history, and a thesis / dissertation. It's a cheaper alternative to the University of Sedona, and their degree looks very nice!

https://e-seminary.org/degrees.html

Since you stated that you don't need a doctorate, you may be more open to considering one of those options if you want the title of "Doctor". Either option would be the most inexpensive for you!

RE: Doctorate or no? - jb111 - 06-24-2024

Yes!  Those two options look great Kal Di.  I'd heard of e-seminary (northernway) but queens looks pretty legit.  Thank you

RE: Doctorate or no? - jb111 - 06-27-2024

I signed up with Northernway/eSeminary ($600 for the DDiv but they say price going up in July, PHD is a little more).  Plan is to knock that out over the summer and start another one someone PM'd me about called Oval Bible College ($300).  Seminary + Bible college for $1000 is a winning combo.  Obviously for these two, I'm not concerned with accreditation.  I'll likely look into the accredited options next year.  Thank you all.

RE: Doctorate or no? - Kal Di - 06-27-2024

(06-27-2024, 01:29 PM)jb111 Wrote: I signed up with Northernway/eSeminary ($600 for the DDiv but they say price going up in July, PHD is a little more).  Plan is to knock that out over the summer and start another one someone PM'd me about called Oval Bible College ($300).  Seminary + Bible college for $1000 is a winning combo.  Obviously for these two, I'm not concerned with accreditation.  I'll likely look into the accredited options next year.  Thank you all.

I went to the Oval Bible College website and noticed their accreditation. Their accrediting organization is not USDOE / CHEA approved, but the accreditor (National Bible College Association) has 75 member schools with active accreditation.

I like Esoteric Theological Seminary's mission and degree offerings, despite their subpar website. The IRS online database shows ETS as a 501c3 organization. The only challenge with their non-Christian religious degrees is their lack of utility in the job market. Since Judeo-Christian religions dominate the religious sector in the USA, it'll probably be difficult to work for most religious organizations with a non-Christian religious degree. However, if you just want the "Doctor" title (as noted in your first post), it's definitely one of the most affordable online options.

New Jersey Institute of Theology is also accredited by the National Bible College Association. It offers a $400 doctorate in theology, and you can pick your own courses.

I'm doubtful that we'll see a university with a doctorate degree costing less than $2,000 with USDOE accreditation or government accreditation from another country. Perhaps, we'll see one in 10 years. For now, these are all good and very affordable options (i.e. Queens, ETS, Oval, NJIT) for people who desire a religious degree.

RE: Doctorate or no? - burbuja0512 - 07-07-2024

Interesting thread. For my own personal interests I found the Esoteric Theological Seminar doctorate fascinating, but it doesn't seem to have any actual learning on it.... I love the concept, but might feel a bit guilty using the title "doctor" after just having written a little about my religious background and a 4000 word essay. What are your thoughts on this?

Of course the ETS doctorate brought me down the rabbit hole of the University of Sedona which is considerably more expensive but seems to have an actual program that could take a year or two and might impart a bit more knowledge upon the learner. (Key word being "might") It's a lot more money but when you break it down on a monthly basis, it's still only $25 bucks a month which is not bad to give me something new to study if it turns out to be interesting, though I have ZERO practical use for it.

What do you guys think about the ETS vs UOS doctorates or are they both just not really worth the money?