Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree plan help - UMPI BABA M&L
Hello everyone, I found this awesome site about 2 months ago and have been taking in as much advice as I can. It seems I need a bit more help. I went to school briefly about 12 years ago but life came knocking as I had to leave. I’ve worked in in the finance industry for the past 15 years and I have had a heck of a career without a degree, but recently my dream job came knocking and they need a degree. I was initially thinking about the finance program at WGU then I thought about the BS/MS IT program at WGU and now I am thinking about UMPI BABA. I applied at WGU and sent them my transcript and they accepted the courses listed below under Transfer from university I attended years ago. I’ve provided as much info as I can below. Any next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Budget: My max budget is about 8k.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast. 
Commitments: I currently work full time but I am dedicating as much as possible to school. Each weekend and nights have been dedicated to school. Kids go to sleep around 9 and I spend about 3 hours on school. I start work at around 6 am and I am done by 3P and I spend another 2 hours on school until kids are back home.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within the next 6 to 8 months MAX.
Your Location: Maine
Your Age: 30's
What kind of degree do you want? Looking to get a degree in business or IT
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:
Transfer from university I attended years ago – 14 Credits
  1. Principles Of Sociology 3
  2. English Composition I 3
  3. Intro To Business 3
  4. Business Law I 2
  5. Intro To Drama 3
Sophia – 56 Credit
  1. College Algebra 3
  2. Critical Thinking 3
  3. Developing Effective Teams 1
  4. Financial Accounting 3
  5. Introduction to Business 3
  6. Introduction to Chemistry 3
  7. Introduction to Information Technology 3
  8. Introduction to Nutrition 3
  9. Introduction to Statistics 3
  10. Macroeconomics 3
  11. Microeconomics 3
  12. Principles of Finance 3
  13. Principles of Management 3
  14. Project Management 3
  15. Public Speaking 3
  16. The Essentials of Managing Conflict 1
  17. U.S. History I 3
  18. Visual Communications 3
  19. College Readiness 3
  20. Conflict Resolution 3
@NextDestFBI, Welcome to the board, your best bet is the BABA with some concentration of your choice. I suggest either M&L or PM&IS, it's up to you to decide, you'll still need to complete a few more courses from Sophia.org to max up to the 90 credit transfer to UMPI. I suggest applying and sending in transcripts soon, do not wait for the December deadline for application, that's deadline should be for making sure you're enrolled and everything transferred properly, as in the past a few people fell through the cracks... Review the UMPI WIKI for those two degree plans and decide/see which one is better for you.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-30-2023, 09:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @NextDestFBI, Welcome to the board, your best bet is the BABA with some concentration of your choice.  I suggest either M&L or PM&IS, it's up to you to decide, you'll still need to complete a few more courses from Sophia.org to max up to the 90 credit transfer to UMPI.  I suggest applying and sending in transcripts soon, do not wait for the December deadline for application, that's deadline should be for making sure you're enrolled and everything transferred properly, as in the past a few people fell through the cracks... Review the UMPI WIKI for those two degree plans and decide/see which one is better for you.

Thank you for the response. I've thinking about the BABA M&L but at this point, I just want to go the degree that really will accept the most credits from the course I've taken. I've already applied at the school and everything has been created, they are just waiting for my transcript and resume. You mentioned that I still have a more courses I need to complete at sophia.org, can you tell me which one? I'm going to review the BABA M&L wiki to get a better idea of which other classes I can take on Sophia and SDC.
At the very least, you absolutely, positively, need the following from Sophia:

Spanish I or French I (can take an ACTFL exam if you know a different language already)
Introduction to Chemistry LAB

As for which degree will take the most: what you have are gen eds (GEC at UMPI). Both the BABA M&L and the BABA PM/IS degree will be the same at this point. Pick the degree that interests you the most and go for that one.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
My advice again... Select a degree from UMPI, you'll be able to get that for about $3K if you can finish UMPI in two sessions of $1500 each. There are some other fees such as the $ for a few months of Sophia.org, you can get 90 credits alone from Sophia.org by following the WIKI degree templates to the T. The remaining 30 credits need to come through UMPI and you can take the 3-4 classes that can transfer into the MAOL if you decide to get a Masters later. Get the Gen Eds and then work on the degree of choice: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

(10-31-2023, 04:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote: At the very least, you absolutely, positively, need the following from Sophia:

Spanish I or French I (can take an ACTFL exam if you know a different language already)
Introduction to Chemistry LAB

As for which degree will take the most: what you have are gen eds (GEC at UMPI). Both the BABA M&L and the BABA PM/IS degree will be the same at this point. Pick the degree that interests you the most and go for that one.

Thank you so much for your advise. I ended up finishing Spanish I and Introduction to Chemistry Lab. I'm going to end up doing the BABA M&L. 

(10-31-2023, 11:15 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: My advice again... Select a degree from UMPI, you'll be able to get that for about $3K if you can finish UMPI in two sessions of $1500 each. There are some other fees such as the $ for a few months of Sophia.org, you can get 90 credits alone from Sophia.org by following the WIKI degree templates to the T. The remaining 30 credits need to come through UMPI and you can take the 3-4 classes that can transfer into the MAOL if you decide to get a Masters later. Get the Gen Eds and then work on the degree of choice: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

Thank you for the response. I am a bit confused about your comment regarding the 90 credits from Sophia alone. When I followed the BABA M&L guide, it stated that I also need to take some courses on study.com. Would this not be the case for me as well?
That is the case, I am just a bit too brief and not mentioning the Sophia.org/Study.com combo as I usually do... For both instances above where I mentioned Sophia.org and 90 credits, what I was referring to was Sophia.org/Study.com and any other ACE options to get you to the 90 credits before you begin at UMPI.

Hello everyone,
I've transferred in 93 credits to the BABA - Management & Leadership Concentration program. Based on my Degree Progress Report I am missing the courses listed below; 2 which can be completed on Sophia.org and 7 that can be completed on Study.com.

Jessica asked if I want to enroll in the January 16th session but there are a few things I don't understand or what my next steps should be.

1. If I complete these additional 9 classes, would they transfer in? 
  2. There would only be 6 additional classes I need (18 credits), so what would happen with the additional 4 classes (12 credits that I need to take at UMPI)?
  3. Would I just have to take additional GEC classes at UMPI to meet my 30 credit requirement?
Thank you kindly for any advise or suggestions.

SOPHIA:
  1. Business Ethics to satisfy BUS 353 Legal & Ethical Environment of Business
  2. U.S. Government to satisfy POS 101 American Government or POS 211 Introduction to Political Thought (or equivalent to meet GEC Global Consciousness and Intercultural Awareness Learning Objective 5E)
Study.com
  1. Applied Managerial Accounting to satisfy BUS 220: Managerial Accounting
  2. Leading Organizational Change to satisfy BUS 240: Change Management
  3. Management Information Systems to satisfy BUS 244: Management Information Systems
  4. Mentoring & Leadership Development in the Workplace to satisfy BUS 260: Leadership
  5. Strategic Human Resources Management to satisfy BUS 321: Human Resource Management
  6. Leadership & Organizational Behavior to satisfy BUS 335: Organizational Behavior
  7. Advanced Operations Management to satisfy BUS 415: Operations Management
Left to complete degree:
  1. MAT 140 Mathematics for Business
  2. Bus 200 Intermediate Business Computing
  3. BUS 325 Financial Management
  4. BUS 440 Business Analytics
  5. BUS 469 Strategic Professional Communication
  6. BUS 489 Business Policy & Strategy
NextDestFBI Wrote:[*]If I complete these additional 9 classes, would they transfer in? 
[*]There would only be 6 additional classes I need (18 credits), so what would happen with the additional 4 classes (12 credits that I need to take at UMPI)?
[*]Would I just have to take additional GEC classes at UMPI to meet my 30 credit requirement?
[/list]

You need to email Jessica and find out... Essentially, it doesn't really matter what you take at UMPI as long as it hits the 30 credit requirements. Having said that, there are specifics you need for each degree, such as UL requirements, you need her to fill in the 'evaluation' and highlight what is remaining, when we know that and you've posted the pdf/screenshot, we can advise further.

(12-11-2023, 01:44 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
NextDestFBI Wrote:[*]If I complete these additional 9 classes, would they transfer in? 
[*]There would only be 6 additional classes I need (18 credits), so what would happen with the additional 4 classes (12 credits that I need to take at UMPI)?
[*]Would I just have to take additional GEC classes at UMPI to meet my 30 credit requirement?
[/list]

You need to email Jessica and find out...  Essentially, it doesn't really matter what you take at UMPI as long as it hits the 30 credit requirements.  Having said that, there are specifics you need for each degree, such as UL requirements, you need her to fill in the 'evaluation' and highlight what is remaining, when we know that and you've posted the pdf/screenshot, we can advise further.

Thanks for the Advice @bjcheung77. Here is a copy of my transfers PDF file. I'm in the process of disputing two classes that didn't transfer correctly. I have completed Calculus I and based on my research, it should cover requirement #4 - MAT 140. I have also completed both Introduction to Chemistry and Introduction to Chemistry Lab which should cover requirement #12 & #17. 

I'm in the process of completing U.S. Government and Business Ethics from Sophia which should cover requirement #19 and #23.

Attached Files
.pdf   UMPI Transferred Credits.pdf (Size: 1.97 MB / Downloads: 56)
[-] The following 1 user Likes NextDestFBI's post:
  • Epiphani

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 5 357 Today, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 130 Today, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 10 286 Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BABA Marketing from UMPI Raza Shah 0 79 09-22-2024, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Raza Shah
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 258 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 266 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 210 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 554 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 306 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 314 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77