Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree by Christmas?
Hi guys I've been lurking for months and I'm finally posting. This forum is a game changer. I'm looking to go to Law school but first I need to get my BA! I picked Excelsior because they take NA credits. They took about 40 credit hours so I am 80 away. Does anyone think that the Liberal Arts degree is doable by Christmas? I've already gotten the guardian scholarship (personal finance down, 5 more to go) and I completed the free sophia and institutes insurance ethics courses..Any help or feedback is appreciated Wink
happydegreegirl Wrote:Hi guys I've been lurking for months and I'm finally posting. This forum is a game changer. I'm looking to go to Law school but first I need to get my BA! I picked Excelsior because they take NA credits. They took about 40 credit hours so I am 80 away. Does anyone think that the Liberal Arts degree is doable by Christmas? I've already gotten the guardian scholarship (personal finance down, 5 more to go) and I completed the free sophia and institutes insurance ethics courses..Any help or feedback is appreciated Wink

I think it's doable as long as you have the time to devote to it. My son completed 15 courses at Straighterline in 3 months - and one of those months he was only working on SL part time as he was also doing Study.com's guardian scholarship - so IMO take as many classes at Straighterline as you can. Also check out the Saylor offerings - some of the easier classes there include Corporate Communication, Intro to Business, and Marketing. I think Comparative Politics was also one folks found on the quicker side.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress!
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
happydegreegirl Wrote:Hi guys I've been lurking for months and I'm finally posting. This forum is a game changer. I'm looking to go to Law school but first I need to get my BA! I picked Excelsior because they take NA credits. They took about 40 credit hours so I am 80 away. Does anyone think that the Liberal Arts degree is doable by Christmas? I've already gotten the guardian scholarship (personal finance down, 5 more to go) and I completed the free sophia and institutes insurance ethics courses..Any help or feedback is appreciated Wink

I think so. It depends on how much time you have.

Law schools will probably not like that you used NA credits Sad

Do you have a GPA for the 40 credits, or were they pass/fail?

Yes... you can. It comes down to 2 things... Time and Money... Do you have enough of both to dedicate 6+ hours 7 days a week and 6-8K over the next 8 months?

Straighterline, Cheap and Fast
Study Not as Cheap Not as Fast
Saylor Cheap but not fast
CLEP, DSST, UEXcel, TECEP - Relatively Cheap, Relatively Fast (Depending on how fast you can learn the material)

I will by 5/22 have completed 81 Credits (66 via SL, 3 via Aleks, 2 Via the Institutes, 6 via CLEP, and 4 via TEEX)
That is basically in 7-8 weeks 81 credits...

I will do 6 Credits at STudy.com by end of June for 6 more credits bringing me to 87
I will do 6 credirs at CopperSmith by end of July to bring me to 93
Now I needed a Student Loan, so I am taking 12 Credits at a Community College which will be done by August 4th. 105 Credits Done.
By End of August I will complete 9 credits from DSSTs bringing me to 114 Credits
I will begin my final 6 credits from TESU Online in August Finishing in November 120 Credits.

If I had more money, I believe I could get done by August if I had no need to take classes at the Community College in order to obtain a student loan.

Make a plan, stick to it, knock out the classes.

Straighterline Is open book for all tests but the proctored final (and some of those are open book as well) My record was 12 credits in 24 hours. Its relatively easy to have a 95-100 before the final which is typically worth 30% or less of your final grade... so even if you only get a 50% You still should have a solid B... And in this way the classes can be completed very fast... Just wathc for burnout and dont rush thru classes that you will need as foundation (for me it was Intro to Psych, and Statistics).

For your College Comp take the CLEP that is worth 6 credits... its not necessarily easier, but it is alot faster.

Pick a Major that has eaily and cheaply obtained test outs (not like dumb me that has to pay like 1500 for SOS-450)
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1

EC does require 30cr of UL throughout the degree, so it's not like TESU in that respect. They are also pickier about what they bring in as UL, so you're going to have to do some things to get those UL credits, which are not available through Study.com or SL. DSST exams are the easiest way to get the UL credits (I think). There's also UExce exams, which are a little more expensive, but it may be easier for you to find a PearsonVUE testing center than a DSST testing center.

Also, they will not take the CLEP exam for English, so if you still need those credits, you'll need to take the UExcel exam for it.

Did you apply with the POAG or another partnership plan? If not, I think you need to do that at the beginning; it will cut the costs considerably for you.

You need to carefully plan out the degree to make sure you have all of those necessary UL credits, so do that before you take any courses from SL/Study.com.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I have a 3.5 GPA for the NA credits. I had a full associates degree but EC just basically took what they could and applied them to the applied professional credits portion of the degree plan. Ive been studying for the LSAT for months and Im going to take a prep course before i actually take it in Dec so I'm hoping a really good score plus stellar professional references will help. Ive kind of been working backwards starting with the Law school entrance requirements.
The upper levels are my biggest concern. If it wasnt for my associates being NA, I would have just gone to TESU
happydegreegirl Wrote:I have a 3.5 GPA for the NA credits. I had a full associates degree but EC just basically took what they could and applied them to the applied professional credits portion of the degree plan. Ive been studying for the LSAT for months and Im going to take a prep course before i actually take it in Dec so I'm hoping a really good score plus stellar professional references will help. Ive kind of been working backwards starting with the Law school entrance requirements.

Have you looked at WGU at all? They have a generous policy regarding block transfers for associates degrees - might we worth checking out.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
It is absolutely doable - you just need to map out what you want to take and work any capstone course into your degree completion time. I wish I had signed up for the capstone and worked on it while I was taking the other 40 credits needed. Instead I pushed it off until the very last class and I'm soooo bored. I flew through 42 credits in 12 weeks. Now I have to spend 12 weeks on just 3 credits and I'm so eager to just be done. But many here have finished 40-60 credits in just three or four months. There is no reason you can't get 80 by end of the year.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Did EC charge a fee to take the NA credits?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,506 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,159 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,724 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,938 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 5,368 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,990 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,595 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,164 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,568 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,943 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero