Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning Help - Natural Sciences
Hi everyone, I’m here to ask for some help with degree planning for my husband. 
He’s been working  for the USFS for 10 years as a wildland firefighter (official title is  "Forestry Technician") but wants to transition to a less physically demanding job within the agency. He has no previous college experience, went from HS to the Marine Corps, did some retail jobs and then joined the USFS. I know a lot of the the forestry related degrees can’t really be done online but any degree related to natural sciences would work.

What kind of degree do you want?: biological, chemical, physical or environmental sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, Rangeland Management/Ecology, forestry 
Any certifications or military experience? Veteran with unused GI Bill
Budget: whatever the GI Bill covers, beyond that we’d probably have to take out a student loan
Commitments: spouse, pets and full-time job that can require two weeks fighting a fire without access to the web
Dedicated time to study: 3 hrs on weeknights + 4-6 hrs on weekends 
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal. 

He has some anxiety about going to college and has been procrastinating on looking into this which is why I’m posting this for him. Hopefully seeing some options laid out will be the kick in the butt he needs to get this thing going.

Thank you for any help with this!
@violaborealis, Welcome to the board, that's a very good introduction with the addendum/template. There are two degree options that jump up, Excelsior BS Natural Science and the TESU BA Environmental Studies, they allow the max transfer of 113/114 credits respectively. Having said that, due to the number of courses that can't be transferred in, I would still suggest the Excelsior BSLA, or TESU BALS with NSM concentration, these are Liberal Arts Studies degrees, and the major is Liberal Arts not Natural Science or Environmental Studies. He can take classes he wants within the general education/free electives that are geared towards what he wants...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
SNHU has an Environmental Science major
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-.../N1Ok44IYg

All SNHU majors
https://www.snhu.edu/program-finder

I haven't seen many jobs that require a physical science major. You could opt for another degree, such as liberal arts or business, and do a concentration/minor in science at a school such as UMPI or TESU. 

Or fill up your electives with science courses such as environmental science, biology, chemistry, physics, etc.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Unity Environmental University has a bunch of online forestry courses. Also offers forestry degrees. Courses seem to cost approx 450 USD/credit.

Their online booklet mentions theoretically they accept ACE credit, possibly up to 90 credit transfers. Might be worth sending them an email and ask if they accept Sophia and Study transfer credit.
Less physically demanding job, for the forest service, that draws on applied science. Safety and health? TAMUC has a competency-based bachelor's in safety and health.
Since you mentioned Biology, TESU has a BA Biology. But I'm not sure it's a "real" biology degree. Same with TESU's Environmental Science degree. I mention this because forest service is a government-type job and they may care a lot about the CIP codes.

But if a generic "natural science" degree would work, then I think TESU should be fine, whether or not the degrees have the expected CIP code.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I have reviewed the biological/physical degrees at SNHU, TESU etc and they are pretty weak on "sciences". Even the "Geosciences" degree at SNHU wouldn't be considered an actual Geology degree without field work. Your desired degree path is sort of vague. Are you looking for a soft science "Environmental science" degree or a pure physical/biological science degree like Geology, Physics, Chemistry and Biology?

I am a PNW guy and if you are in Forestry and looking for a science-based degree, you can't do better than OREGON STATE. They have a robust foresty and natural resource program and are one of the best online platforms for education.

https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-d...nce#browse

Check out this. They have NUMEROUS degrees for your husband. Yes, maybe not as fast or cheap as other places but the Oregon State name is WELL KNOWN in the USFS world. My dad worked for USFS as a forest firefighter for years...

If you are going to do it, do it right.
TESU's BA Biology and the BA Environmental Studies programs are interesting, they're 60 credit major for the Biology program, the Environmental Studies is similar to their regular programming now of 45 credits. It really depends on the student and what they need and want, as I mentioned earlier, something along the lines of the Excelsior BSLA with 60 electives (all sciences) would probably work, or even the TESU BALS with NSM concentration. Your goal is the first initial degree, so UMPI with a BLS in a minor of Your Pace, and another minor that can be all transferred in, may do the trick as well. You can then ladder to a Masters or grad cert specializing in what your preference is in... Any route you take, make sure to check your boxes, or better yet, do the trifecta mix of certs, degree, experience.

Columbia Southern University has several degrees that might work, and they take a lot of ACE credit and are cheaper than others:
- BS in Emergency Management w/Concentrations in Environmental Science or Fire
- BS in Environmental Management
- BS in Fire Administration
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Unity is a good option but I would go for the masters from them instead, that is if you have enough funds left from what you have in the initial post... I would get a quick check the box degree and go forward with a Masters of choice afterwards, be it the MAOL, MSML, MBA, whatever it may be...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 191 Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 186 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelor Degree Help envirodude 2 173 09-18-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 496 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Master's Degree Options dm.hans32 2 216 09-15-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 264 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 281 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 137 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 9 391 09-13-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Looking for advice on choosing a degree for a career change frankc 13 986 09-13-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Obrajnick