Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
December Graduates & A Change to Graduation
From today's On the Fly newsletter. UMPI will no longer be printing diplomas at UMPI! This is a change. 

December graduates

Planning to finish your degree requirements in December 2022? Please complete your application to graduate (found in your MaineStreet Student Center) as soon as possible to avoid delays in issuing your degree. Not sure how close you are to graduating? Contact your Professional Academic Advisor for help with your degree completion plan. Please fill out this Google form about May 2023 Commencement participation and whether you wish to receive a diploma cover. The Registrar's Office will be using a new diploma platform called Parchment, so diplomas will no longer be printed in-house. Directions for creating your Parchment account will follow once degrees have been conferred.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • arrakis, Pikachu
(11-09-2022, 12:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: From today's On the Fly newsletter. UMPI will no longer be printing diplomas at UMPI! This is a change. 

December graduates

Planning to finish your degree requirements in December 2022? Please complete your application to graduate (found in your MaineStreet Student Center) as soon as possible to avoid delays in issuing your degree. Not sure how close you are to graduating? Contact your Professional Academic Advisor for help with your degree completion plan. Please fill out this Google form about May 2023 Commencement participation and whether you wish to receive a diploma cover. The Registrar's Office will be using a new diploma platform called Parchment, so diplomas will no longer be printed in-house. Directions for creating your Parchment account will follow once degrees have been conferred.

Where do you go to apply for graduation?
We have to print out our own diploma?
(11-30-2022, 01:52 PM)kimmyk Wrote: Where do you go to apply for graduation?

Contact your academic advisor about graduation.

(11-30-2022, 10:32 PM)umpica2022 Wrote: We have to print out our own diploma?

Huh? Parchment will be printing the diplomas and sending them out. Previously, UMPI printed them on campus and shipped them.
(11-30-2022, 11:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 01:52 PM)kimmyk Wrote: Where do you go to apply for graduation?

Contact your academic advisor about graduation.

(11-30-2022, 10:32 PM)umpica2022 Wrote: We have to print out our own diploma?

Huh? Parchment will be printing the diplomas and sending them out. Previously, UMPI printed them on campus and shipped them.
ah got it
(11-30-2022, 01:52 PM)kimmyk Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 12:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: From today's On the Fly newsletter. UMPI will no longer be printing diplomas at UMPI! This is a change. 

December graduates

Where do you go to apply for graduation?

The application for the degree is in your MaineStreet Student Center.  Login to the UMPI Portal (my.umpi.edu), click on the MaineStreet icon and go to the Classic Student Center (Student Self-Service -> Classic Student Center).  From the 'other academic...' dropdown, select 'Apply for Graduation.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
I wonder if that changes what is printed on the diplomas. I know previously UMPI was able to pack a lot of info on their diplomas, including minors and such. Hopefully this doesn't change that, I alway thought that was cool.

This is as opposed to how TESU does it, which is one thing I don't like about TESU. I'm going to have two generic looking diplomas that say "Bachelor of Arts" without the field of study listed, even though they are two very different fields.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
(12-01-2022, 09:51 PM)jsd Wrote: I wonder if that changes what is printed on the diplomas. I know previously UMPI was able to pack a lot of info on their diplomas, including minors and such. Hopefully this doesn't change that, I alway thought that was cool.

This is as opposed to how TESU does it, which is one thing I don't like about TESU. I'm going to have two generic looking diplomas that say "Bachelor of Arts" without the field of study listed, even though they are two very different fields.

They had already changed what was printed on the diploma. Less info on it. Not a big deal since many schools only list the degree type on the diploma.
Those who earned a Liberal Arts degree tend to desire more on the diploma, more because, at least in the business environment, the perception is a less rigorous degree due to the high elective count and lack of requirements in UL courses compared to a business degree. One could surmise that the minors listed for the degree earner beef up optics when interviewing outside of teaching opportunities. Employers tend not to put much weight into minors, so it feels more for vanity than intrinsic value. However, if you have two-three minors, I am sure it feels nice to have them listed if hanging on your wall.

This post is not to personally breathe energy into the value of the Liberal Arts degree. Overall, earning a degree isn't easy, and by the global numbers, any degree should be celebrated and carry great pride in the accomplishment.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 1 user Likes KSoul's post:
  • Lady_Gumshoe
(12-02-2022, 05:34 PM)KSoul Wrote: Those who earned a Liberal Arts degree tend to desire more on the diploma, more because, at least in the business environment, the perception is a less rigorous degree due to the high elective count and lack of requirements in UL courses compared to a business degree. One could surmise that the minors listed for the degree earner beef up optics when interviewing outside of teaching opportunities. Employers tend not to put much weight into minors, so it feels more for vanity than intrinsic value. However, if you have two-three minors, I am sure it feels nice to have them listed if hanging on your wall.

This post is not to personally breathe energy into the value of the Liberal Arts degree. Overall, earning a degree isn't easy, and by the global numbers, any degree should be celebrated and carry great pride in the accomplishment.

Employers don't see what's printed on your diploma. They rarely even see transcripts which is where all of the details are printed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduation tickets nmnyc11 14 2,095 05-03-2024, 04:02 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Graduation Interview umpistudent 6 613 04-10-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: umpistudent
  Fall 2023 Graduates/Diplomas Chankosumo 9 1,283 01-27-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Claudia P
  UMPI - Change Professor considerationsea2938 13 1,351 01-22-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: considerationsea2938
  English Major Graduates ashkir 0 418 01-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  UMPI Your Pace Fees - December Enrolment Deadline FM1 12 1,413 12-07-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: FM1
  Fastest UMPI classes since the change to brightspace? CanICode 8 1,845 11-19-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  One or two classes left and graduation bvndz 3 557 09-06-2023, 08:49 AM
  Graduation rate Hwt673 5 801 08-29-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Apply for Graduation? klone 1 496 07-23-2023, 05:01 PM