Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: UMPI - University of Maine at Presque Isle Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-UMPI-University-of-Maine-at-Presque-Isle-Discussion)
+--- Thread: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation (/Thread-December-Graduates-A-Change-to-Graduation)

Pages: 1 2

December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - ss20ts - 11-09-2022

From today's On the Fly newsletter. UMPI will no longer be printing diplomas at UMPI! This is a change. 

December graduates

Planning to finish your degree requirements in December 2022? Please complete your application to graduate (found in your MaineStreet Student Center) as soon as possible to avoid delays in issuing your degree. Not sure how close you are to graduating? Contact your Professional Academic Advisor for help with your degree completion plan. Please fill out this Google form about May 2023 Commencement participation and whether you wish to receive a diploma cover. The Registrar's Office will be using a new diploma platform called Parchment, so diplomas will no longer be printed in-house. Directions for creating your Parchment account will follow once degrees have been conferred.

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - kimmyk - 11-30-2022

(11-09-2022, 12:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: From today's On the Fly newsletter. UMPI will no longer be printing diplomas at UMPI! This is a change. 

December graduates

Planning to finish your degree requirements in December 2022? Please complete your application to graduate (found in your MaineStreet Student Center) as soon as possible to avoid delays in issuing your degree. Not sure how close you are to graduating? Contact your Professional Academic Advisor for help with your degree completion plan. Please fill out this Google form about May 2023 Commencement participation and whether you wish to receive a diploma cover. The Registrar's Office will be using a new diploma platform called Parchment, so diplomas will no longer be printed in-house. Directions for creating your Parchment account will follow once degrees have been conferred.

Where do you go to apply for graduation?

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - umpica2022 - 11-30-2022

We have to print out our own diploma?

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - ss20ts - 11-30-2022

(11-30-2022, 01:52 PM)kimmyk Wrote: Where do you go to apply for graduation?

Contact your academic advisor about graduation.

(11-30-2022, 10:32 PM)umpica2022 Wrote: We have to print out our own diploma?

Huh? Parchment will be printing the diplomas and sending them out. Previously, UMPI printed them on campus and shipped them.

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - umpica2022 - 11-30-2022

(11-30-2022, 11:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 01:52 PM)kimmyk Wrote: Where do you go to apply for graduation?

Contact your academic advisor about graduation.

(11-30-2022, 10:32 PM)umpica2022 Wrote: We have to print out our own diploma?

Huh? Parchment will be printing the diplomas and sending them out. Previously, UMPI printed them on campus and shipped them.
ah got it

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - KSoul - 12-01-2022

(11-30-2022, 01:52 PM)kimmyk Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 12:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: From today's On the Fly newsletter. UMPI will no longer be printing diplomas at UMPI! This is a change. 

December graduates

Where do you go to apply for graduation?

The application for the degree is in your MaineStreet Student Center.  Login to the UMPI Portal (my.umpi.edu), click on the MaineStreet icon and go to the Classic Student Center (Student Self-Service -> Classic Student Center).  From the 'other academic...' dropdown, select 'Apply for Graduation.

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - jsd - 12-01-2022

I wonder if that changes what is printed on the diplomas. I know previously UMPI was able to pack a lot of info on their diplomas, including minors and such. Hopefully this doesn't change that, I alway thought that was cool.

This is as opposed to how TESU does it, which is one thing I don't like about TESU. I'm going to have two generic looking diplomas that say "Bachelor of Arts" without the field of study listed, even though they are two very different fields.

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - ss20ts - 12-02-2022

(12-01-2022, 09:51 PM)jsd Wrote: I wonder if that changes what is printed on the diplomas. I know previously UMPI was able to pack a lot of info on their diplomas, including minors and such. Hopefully this doesn't change that, I alway thought that was cool.

This is as opposed to how TESU does it, which is one thing I don't like about TESU. I'm going to have two generic looking diplomas that say "Bachelor of Arts" without the field of study listed, even though they are two very different fields.

They had already changed what was printed on the diploma. Less info on it. Not a big deal since many schools only list the degree type on the diploma.

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - KSoul - 12-02-2022

Those who earned a Liberal Arts degree tend to desire more on the diploma, more because, at least in the business environment, the perception is a less rigorous degree due to the high elective count and lack of requirements in UL courses compared to a business degree. One could surmise that the minors listed for the degree earner beef up optics when interviewing outside of teaching opportunities. Employers tend not to put much weight into minors, so it feels more for vanity than intrinsic value. However, if you have two-three minors, I am sure it feels nice to have them listed if hanging on your wall.

This post is not to personally breathe energy into the value of the Liberal Arts degree. Overall, earning a degree isn't easy, and by the global numbers, any degree should be celebrated and carry great pride in the accomplishment.

RE: December Graduates & A Change to Graduation - ss20ts - 12-02-2022

(12-02-2022, 05:34 PM)KSoul Wrote: Those who earned a Liberal Arts degree tend to desire more on the diploma, more because, at least in the business environment, the perception is a less rigorous degree due to the high elective count and lack of requirements in UL courses compared to a business degree. One could surmise that the minors listed for the degree earner beef up optics when interviewing outside of teaching opportunities. Employers tend not to put much weight into minors, so it feels more for vanity than intrinsic value. However, if you have two-three minors, I am sure it feels nice to have them listed if hanging on your wall.

This post is not to personally breathe energy into the value of the Liberal Arts degree. Overall, earning a degree isn't easy, and by the global numbers, any degree should be celebrated and carry great pride in the accomplishment.

Employers don't see what's printed on your diploma. They rarely even see transcripts which is where all of the details are printed.