Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST technical writing - what to study?
I want to take the technical writing dsst, and while I am very good at english topics in general - I got a 77 on A&IL cold - I feel uncomfortable taking this test without studying anything, as I have absolutely no background in technical writing or anything like it.

However, the website that people posted on the specific feedback forum - here - seems very intimidating. It must be hundreds of pages! Is there any source that I can study for basics that is shorter?
Have you looked at the fact sheet? It lists a few references to suggested resources for the test. (Generally these are spot on, because often the material they reference is the same material they used to develop the actual test.)

http://www.getcollegecredit.com/download...riting.pdf
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
doghouse42 Wrote:I want to take the technical writing dsst, and while I am very good at english topics in general - I got a 77 on A&IL cold - I feel uncomfortable taking this test without studying anything, as I have absolutely no background in technical writing or anything like it.

However, the website that people posted on the specific feedback forum - here - seems very intimidating. It must be hundreds of pages! Is there any source that I can study for basics that is shorter?
I agree that you should study for it -- some of the questions require you to know the definition of a particular term.

Don't get intimidated by the website! Use the Specific Exam Feedback to guide you concerning which things to study; use the website something like Wikipedia: a reference. I read through a good number of the pages and glanced at one of each of the different examples given.

Hope the test goes well,
R.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
I used some link from free-clep-prep.com that wasn't too long. I'm sure you'll do great, I made a 63 on A&I and a 61 on this. (I am 16 and have no background whatsoever in technical writing)
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 169 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Large study of over 10,000 participants showed the top 5 careers for millionaires LevelUP 7 519 08-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Research sources for writing assignments? GizmoJack 24 100,041 08-21-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: bradonomics
  Decide your path of study... bjcheung77 2 268 07-25-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 186 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 518 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 856 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 477 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 1,146 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 33,623 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn