Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST increasing cost of transcript 4/5/10
DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com
I'm not sure how a $30 fee for a transcript can be justified.
peace123 Wrote:DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com

That is absolutely ridiculous. I love DSST/DANTES and have enjoyed using their products but I hope this causes a backlash, especially in this current economy. This is hardly justifiable. :mad: :puke:
I suppose the majority of DSST test-takers have their score sent to a designated school when they take the exam. I draw this conclusion based on the experiences described here (being the only one at the test center doing a Big 3 degree, students who post here for help testing out of one or two classes at their traditional college) and the mere fact that the Big 3 by themselves couldn't keep the College Board and DSST programs afloat. This means that sending transcripts is an exception process, and DSST doubtless wants to recover not only the cost of the individual transcript, but also the capital outlay to make sending transcripts possible, and bring in some revenue. Prometric and ETS are for-profit companies, after all.

So if most test-takers send their scores at time of exam, who doesn't? People like us who saved gobs of money by testing out of a significant portion of our credits, and grad school applicants who are planning to spend a bundle getting a masters. Maybe a few undergrads who change schools mid-stream. What's $30 really, in that context?

All of which isn't to say I think it's good for students Wink

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
MISin08 Wrote:I suppose the majority of DSST test-takers have their score sent to a designated school when they take the exam. I draw this conclusion based on the experiences described here (being the only one at the test center doing a Big 3 degree, students who post here for help testing out of one or two classes at their traditional college) and the mere fact that the Big 3 by themselves couldn't keep the College Board and DSST programs afloat. This means that sending transcripts is an exception process, and DSST doubtless wants to recover not only the cost of the individual transcript, but also the capital outlay to make sending transcripts possible, and bring in some revenue. Prometric and ETS are for-profit companies, after all.

So if most test-takers send their scores at time of exam, who doesn't? People like us who saved gobs of money by testing out of a significant portion of our credits, and grad school applicants who are planning to spend a bundle getting a masters. Maybe a few undergrads who change schools mid-stream. [SIZE="5"]What's $30 really, in that context?[/SIZE]

All of which isn't to say I think it's good for students Wink

Phillip

Well, I have applied for law school and the LSAC requires all original transcripts from schools which includes DSST/DANTES. I've applied for two different masters programs which also require original transcripts including DSST/DANTES. Lastly, I always had my scores sent to TESC upon completion but they (of course) managed to lose one. I had to pay to have it resent. So that's 4 instances in which I would need to pay (separately) for scores to be sent. I don't exactly have $120 to throw away like that. DSST charges a fee which should cover this and somehow I doubt that they can justify even the $20 charge for postage and paper. After all how long has it been since you've seen a thread showing that DSST made some major change to their courses? They might be able to justify $5 or $10, but $30 is simply unreasonable. Wink
soupbone Wrote:Well, I have applied for law school and the LSAC requires all original transcripts from schools which includes DSST/DANTES. I've applied for two different masters programs which also require original transcripts including DSST/DANTES. Lastly, I always had my scores sent to TESC upon completion but they (of course) managed to lose one. I had to pay to have it resent. So that's 4 instances in which I would need to pay (separately) for scores to be sent. I don't exactly have $120 to throw away like that. DSST charges a fee which should cover this and somehow I doubt that they can justify even the $20 charge for postage and paper. After all how long has it been since you've seen a thread showing that DSST made some major change to their courses? They might be able to justify $5 or $10, but $30 is simply unreasonable. Wink

here is a solution. send all of ur transcripts to TESC. and have TESC send em out..

TESC transcripts only costs 5 bucks!!
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
creationstory Wrote:here is a solution. send all of ur transcripts to TESC. and have TESC send em out..

TESC transcripts only costs 5 bucks!!

That's called credit washing and schools won't accept them that way. They require [SIZE="3"]original[/SIZE] transcripts and they are pretty clear about it. I've called and asked this question to an advisor from each school so far. Also, TESC is charging what a reasonable fee would be at $5. DSST/DANTES cannot possibly provide justification for a $30 fee. Wink
soupbone Wrote:Well, I have applied for law school and the LSAC requires all original transcripts from schools which includes DSST/DANTES.

So let me get this straight. When I apply to Law school I am going to have to pay AGAIN to send all my CLEP and DSST transcripts to the school?
I'm testing out of my degree completely. That's a lot of transcripts and even more $$.
[SIZE="1"]
BSBA Gen'l Management-TESC

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
CLEP's Completed:
Western Civ I&II-62,58 respectively
US History I&II-both 65
Freshman Comp-65
Natural Sciences-51:confused:
Humanities-62
Macro&Micro Eco-66,68 respectively
Social Sciences and History-54
Principles of Marketing-66
American Gov't-61
Intro to Psych-68
Human Growth & Development-63
A&IL-70
P of Management-63
English Comp w/essay-62:hurray:
BizLaw-67

DSST's completed: P of Supervision-452, Orgz'l Behavior-73, HRM-60, Intro to Business-449, Intro to comp'ing-429, MIS-446, M&B-59, P of Finance-427, P of Financial Accounting-64, BizLaw2- 68, Biz Ethics-

ALEK's courses completed:
Pre-calculus
Introduction to Statistics

TECEP's:
Public Relations Thought & Practice
Ops Management
Biz Policy

TESC Courses:
Managerial *Comm*-A
[/SIZE]

Hours so far = [SIZE="4"]123[/SIZE]
15%Luck Wrote:So let me get this straight. When I apply to Law school I am going to have to pay AGAIN to send all my CLEP and DSST transcripts to the school?
I'm testing out of my degree completely. That's a lot of transcripts and even more $$.

I spoke with the LSAC in detail about this and the answer is yes. They require original transcripts from every single institution you received credit from.
You do realize that whatever the transcript fee, you can put ALL of your DSST scores onto one transcript going to one institution, correct? There seems to be some confusion that each individual exam score must appear on a separate transcript and this is not the case!

Also, it is not a simple matter of postage and envelope/transcript letterhead. Heavy printing (ink, machine maintenance), maintenance of mainframe, plus the manpower to log in transcript requests, print requests, mail requests.

If you designate a transcript to be sent to an institution at the time of taking your exam, check with the institution within a month's time. If they have not received your transcript, Prometric will resend at no additional cost, though they will want you to double-check the code/address you indicated. If you did not indicate to send a transcript at the time of taking the exam, you will need to pay the transcript fee.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 957 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  ASU CIS-194 Transcript vesparza15 4 1,014 07-30-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 186 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  It Costs Over $10 Million in Opportunity Cost to Go to College LevelUP 7 1,032 05-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 519 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 461 04-26-2024, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 736 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  GCU fined for misleading cost estimates clep3705 2 499 11-03-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  50 States - Average cost of college 2023 bjcheung77 1 556 08-16-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,901 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az