Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Credit for ALEKS Corp (McGraw Hill) Online courses in College Algebra & Statistics
cookderosa Wrote:>>

Send them both in, I don't trust what you were told, especially since we have precedent here of those courses being TESC evaluated. Those are entirely different numbers and entirely different levels- behavior coming in at 100 level and intro at a 200 level- whoever you spoke to is probably wrong.

Now, ALEKS is new, so maybe they are working out the kinks....but my experience with TESC's fine advising department (save Dr. Gary Keel or Todd Siben) is telling me that you'll end up with 6 credits out of the deal.

Todd has always been pretty helpful, one of the reasons I went a head and knocked out college math. I pointed out it would be STA-199 but was told it would duplicate. I also wondered if I could use Hardware support as one computer science course is recommended for liberal studies. I will craft another email and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up, I will investigate further
Cool

[SIZE="2"]TESC-AS: Electronic Systems
TESC-BA: History
Phoenix College-MBA: Masters of Business Administration
Keller Graduate School-MISM: Masters of Information Systems Management
[/SIZE]

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is; you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."

[SIZE="1"]Cleps/DSST Failed:
Intro to Psychology 45/46, Chemistry 47/50
Cleps/DSST Passed:
Analyzing/Interp Lit 48/47, Intro to Computing 64/47
Business Law 53/50, English Comp w Essay 54/50
College Mathematics 54/50, MIS 445/400
Biology 56/50, Technical Writing 59/46
Sociology 67/50, World Religions 445/400
Intro Middle East 51/47 Environment/Humanity 51/46
Human/GrowDevelop 65/50 Educational Psych 55/50
Ethics 460/400 Vietnam War 64/44
Civil War/Recon 56/47 Western Europe 59/45
US History 1 59/50 US History 2 61/50
Western Civ 2 56/50

ALEKS
Intro to Stats
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra w Trig
PreCalculus[/SIZE]
MadMax396 Wrote:Todd has always been pretty helpful, one of the reasons I went a head and knocked out college math. I pointed out it would be STA-199 but was told it would duplicate. I also wondered if I could use Hardware support as one computer science course is recommended for liberal studies. I will craft another email and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up, I will investigate further
>>

keep us updated- if they start to count this as duplicate credit, it will be a huge bummer.
I just got my unofficial transcript online and my school, a private school in North Carolina accepted my ALEKS College Algebra (Precalculus without Trig) via my ACE transcript. WooHooo! Costed me less than $80 including my ACE fee and two months of ALEKS payments, although it only took me about 58 hours to reach the 70%.
Took 2 hr to go thru this thread... Great Job guys!

Well, I need some help. For my Math part TESC says

"complete 3 semester hours of pre calculus for business or technology or college algebra AND trigonometry or higher level math courses such as applied calculus or calculus I , II"

So my question is which course I should choose from this list (TESC), I am looking for less complicated course.

001 Beginning Algebra- (not yet evaluated)
002 Intermediate Algebra- MAT115
003 College Algebra- (not yet evaluated)
004 College Algebra with Trig- MAT121
005 PreCal- MAT129
006 Trig- (not yet evaluated)
007 Intro Stats- STA201
008 Business Stats- OPM351
009 Stats for Beh. Science- STA199
This is all really interesting! I want to take Aleks courses to complete Stats for Behavioral Science. Some grad schools won't accept Intro to Stats and others specifically request Stats made for non-finance majors.

I'm headed for TESC, so it looks like taking Stats for Behavioral Science (w/o other stats courses) is the only way to be sure not to duplicate.

WallSt: Out of those I would say Precal or Alg w/Trig would be the least complicated of those. But I am not 100% sure. (and that's assuming they won't accept stats as advanced math, which I also don't know).
I just finished intro to statistics in 40 hours and 1 minute.

Then submitted my request for ACE credit via the directions on aleks: ACE Credit Courses

Peru State College is on the list of colleges that accept ACE: ACE | Cooperating Colleges and Universities

I think next I'll tackle stats for behavioral science and stats for business. May as well. It took me 1 month to do intro. Really it was more like 6 days. I did it for about 3 days straight, then didn't touch it for 2 weeks, did a day, and then finished it in the past two days.

I worked my way up to 82 things mastered, assessed, reassessed, finally I mastered 84 things, then assessed and passed the assessment with 72%.
My daughter needs 3 semester credits for her math requirement at COSC and it looks like #3 Aleks College Algebra will be acceptable.

HOWEVER, the M.Ed. program in elementary education with teacher certification that she is looking at wants her to have 9 semester credits in mathematics.

MY QUESTION - which universities will give university credit for #1 Aleks Beginning Algebra, and #5 Intermediate Algebra?[/B]

Thank you,

Sidney

gus Wrote:This may be of interest to all of us who are looking to fulfill the Math and Statistics requirement. I had previously posted some info in another thread but I thought I'd expand on the subject here.

ACE had evaluated a few ALEKS online courses for credit:

1. Beginning Algebra (ALEK-0001)
2. Business Statistics (ALEK-0008)
3. College Algebra (ALEK-0003)
4. College Algebra with Trigonometry (ALEK-0004)
5. Intermediate Algebra (ALEK-0002)
6. Introduction to Statistics (ALEK-0007)
7. PreCalculus (ALEK-0005)
8. Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (ALEK-0009)
9. Trigonometry (ALEK-0006)

Excelsior had confirmed that ALEK-0003 and ALEK-0008 would fulfill the Math and Statistics requirements of the business degrees.

To access the independent online courses you pay $20 a month (you can use the subscription to access all of their online courses without paying extra fees). You can even try it for two days for free. I was getting really excited about the whole thing after signing up, I was instantly hooked to their learning system. OK, I kept thinking this is too good to be true, getting college credit after completing the learning requirements (and perhaps completing a final assessment with or without a proctor)

Now for the catch. I contacted ALEKS corp to inquire about the process of getting transcripts/college credit for course completion as their website had no details about this. A few emails later I find out that you can't get college credit from ALEKS directly instead you have to take ALEKS assisted courses through college. While that makes sense, it still doesn't explain why ACE would evaluate the ALEKS online courses if they're going to be part of a college course. I was unable to get a complete listing of institutions that use ALEKS, only two examples (University of Phoenix and San Joaquin Delta College).

I was thinking maybe one could take a proctored exam using ALEKS in order to get college credit. A quick search on the internet shows that this may be possible. Take a look at the following example:

http://jti.ladwp.com/view/layouts/docs/a...amInfo.pdf

This is from the Joint Training Institute - Los Angeles Department of Power, Water & IBEW Local 18 Joint Training Institute

The PDF document states "If you have completed an ALEKS/NetTutor course and are interested in receiving a college credit recommendation, you are eligible to sit for a proctored final exam. Students who score a 70% or better on the proctored final exam will receive a certification for college credit recommendation."

Now I wonder if anyone knows how or has been able to get credit through ALEKS. I will try and see if the advisors at Exlcesior have more information on this.
twosidneys Wrote:My daughter needs 3 semester credits for her math requirement at COSC and it looks like #3 Aleks College Algebra will be acceptable.

HOWEVER, the M.Ed. program in elementary education with teacher certification that she is looking at wants her to have 9 semester credits in mathematics.

MY QUESTION - which universities will give university credit for #1 Aleks Beginning Algebra, and #5 Intermediate Algebra?[/B]

Thank you,

Sidney
>>

Beginning Algebra is approved for college credit, but it will come in under 100 level- meaning it will be on a transcript- but not count toward a degree. (sounds odd, but this allows remedial classes to count when students register for classes, you can still qualify for part/full time status, receive financial aid, insurance or employment requirements, etc) In college-lingo it's considered remedial or prerequisite for higher maths. In your daughter's case, I would call her state's department of ed and specifically ask this question- "for 9 hours in math, can that include remedial math, like a MAT085 for example?" If they say yes- you are set. (I bet it will count) If they say no, then start at intermediate. Intermediate will probably come in at 100 level anywhere. Also, specifically state "my college only requires 3 hours, is the 9 hours a suggestion or a license requirement?" before nailing down a plan.

****EDIT 09/17/09**** TESC advisor confirms that this will come in as MAT102 General Mathematics 2. Note that many (most?) colleges will not consider this a 100 level, so just know that it might not work in most situations, but for those at TESC, this is a real treat!!
cookderosa Wrote:If you have applied ALEKS credit to anywhere besides the big 3 I'd love to hear about it.

My son did Pre-Calculus through Aleks and posted it to Ace. The local business school where he will attend this fall accepted it. You could enroll there for $25.
davenport.edu Ask for Jason Schueller and tell him Monica sent you.
jason.schueller@davenport.edu
Hi everyone,

I completed College Algebra earlier this year and got it on my transcript at the University of Texas at Arlington. I just completed Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences and am awaiting action from Ace.

Now, I am wondering if I should attempt to do the Calculus course. I have almost no knowledge of calculus and am wondering if I'll manage the course..? Or should I try the trig course? I have heard it's quite difficult...

thanks for any input!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,762 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 3,161 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 6,118 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 5,041 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,281 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,265 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,061 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 3,121 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,346 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 28,096 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk