Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Confused about UMPI 2nd degree
Major requirements are different between the two degrees, so for example, you go the BA in History and a BABA with a concentration in PM & IS, the major requirements already differ by more than 30 credits. If you complete one degree first and graduate the other degree second, you get two degrees. If you graduate them at the same time, they're double major... For those going for a BAS/BLS and then something else, it is two degrees, as they're in Applied Studies, or Liberal Studies, the BA is in another 'school' of studies.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-07-2024, 02:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:  For those going for a BAS/BLS and then something else, it is two degrees, as they're in Applied Studies, or Liberal Studies, the BA is in another 'school' of studies.

There are no schools at UMPI. With the BAS which is Applied Science not studies, your major is Applied Science. With the BLS, your major is Liberal Studies. With the BA, your major isn't Arts. It's Business Administration, English, History, etc.
Oh yeah, that was a typo...I did mean to type Applied Science... Anyways, I did the 'school' as I was alluding they're different, even though UMPI doesn't have 'schools' differentiating them, it's still split into degree choices.

If I get a BLS degree, and in doing so, take as electives some BUS classes that are among the BABA major requirements, and then in the future I apply for the BABA degree, will those credits count toward the BABA?

I would think so, just making sure in case they would look at it like "we already counted these as electives toward a different degree and we can't double-count them."

Thanks!
You need 30 different credits after your first Bachelors, it's practically universally the same for any institution, UMPI, TESU, etc. The 'major' is the difference within the degrees you go for, a Liberal Studies to Business Admin... As long as you have 30 credits within the major of choice, that are different in your next degree, you'll be good to go...

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Kjnova
Thanks - yes - what I mean is, if I intentionally take electives I don't need for the BLS degree that coincide with the major requirements for BABA, if I then graduate with the BLS, and later enroll for the BABA, would those credits count toward the BABA?

The reason I am considering this is, I only have 9 classes that fill requirements that I need for the BLS (3 GEP, 6 minor), but residency is 30 hours, so I can pick any one elective. And, I am considering doing two or three classes through Sophia (two of the GEP classes and one of the minor classes), because the UMPI classes are considered "long" in the class review thread. Any I do via Sophia for BLS would mean I'd be adding another UMPI elective to meet residency, because I would potentially be down to six or seven classes that meet requirements for the BLS, yet still need 10 for residency.

So, I might be able to take three or four classes for the BABA major as electives during my BLS coursework without increasing the number of classes I need during the UMPI term, and I want to verify that it would in the future count for the BABA and not be discarded because it got counted in an unexpected way.

Why would I do this, and not just take Sophia business classes now? My goals would be 1) to speed up the BLS by using transfer credit for the 2-3 classes I must take for it that worry me the most, for example PCJ 215 (requires a real-world business communication project that could take a lot of time), and 2) make up the missing residency credit with UMPI business classes that are not available via Sophia or Study.com. This way in the future, I would need 16 or 17 classes for the major instead of 20, and with up to 11 available via Sophia (6) and Study.com (5) and as much time as I want to get those credits, my only real hurdle would be residency again.
Jessica replied to my question. In case anybody has the same question in the future, the answer is, yes, you can "bank" requirements for a future second degree like I am contemplating. The only catch is that the degree requirements could possibly change in the meantime, so the classes you took will only count toward the degree if they are still required at that time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kjnova's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Here's the thing, there are so many different ways of getting your educational goal completed, I'm not here to change your thought process as many members think the BLS is quicker, BABA would take a tad longer.  Yes, that's true, however, having said that, you really need to do a calculation on all the energy, money, time and see as a whole by picturing it.  

I always do a quick mental glimpse and see if it would 'click'... Most members here would do the trifecta of cheap, easy, fast, and some will try to add the ROI/Value to it... So, I'll go into your other post and give you a mental feel of how I would do things differently and add the 'personalize to the individual, in addition to the trifecta plus ROI/Value'...

In short, don't respond to this post, I still suggest the quick BOG AAS > UMPI BAS plus classes that transfer to MAOL > UMPI MAOL.  I'll add it to your other thread where I mentioned this, and I'll give you a picture of how I thought of it differently.  At the end of the day, going to MAOL would be much better than a BLS to BABA, a Masters trumps a Bachelors period.

Minor difference between BAS & BLS, BAS is more flexible... Here's someone who now has 117 credits and is going for the Pierpont BOG AAS and then the BAS with a triple minor, you don't need a triple minor, one or two is sufficient. Again, it depends on what you need and want to accomplish: Need guidance for BOG AAS with transfer to UMPI to carry on to MOAL

Since you just got a Sophia.org subscription, you can delay your UMPI for a session, get the technical credits after you finish your month of Sophia.org using Coursera, Sophia.org, TEEX.  Skip the second Bachelors in favor of a Masters and be done at the same time by following what I mentioned in the link above.  It's up to you to decide, I would just go for it...

Thanks - one "cost" I am paying in a lot of my thought process is that I have two goals that are somewhat in conflict with each other:

I want to get a bachelor's done FAST because of concerns about the job market and the risk of being harmed at any point by not having one.
But, I also want to get a bachelor's that I think will add the most benefit feasible, or, the fewest question marks feasible.

These are the two goals that lead me to some perhaps unconventional ideas, like what I was discussing in this thread: Getting a BLS super fast so I have a degree in case I need one in the very short term, then immediately rotating to also get a BABA, which would simply replace the BLS on my resume. This would involve some "wasted" work but would achieve the two goals, sequentially.

That said, I am revisiting my thoughts about whether it's realistic to just do BABA first. More about that on my other thread ... I don't want to make this thread too much about me.

I would like to better understand the appeal of the BAS. It seems it would take as long as, or maybe longer than, BABA. I am open to learning more about the benefit for my case. Thanks, as always, for your insights!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Criminal Justice BA YourPace Program Completed slaterjack 10 834 5 hours ago
Last Post: Bunnies2012
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 30 3,893 Yesterday, 07:12 AM
Last Post: azmusic
  European studying umpi your pace . MuneebAzhar 70 4,351 09-06-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kakasahib
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 4 663 08-26-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 32 9,330 08-23-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 0 315 08-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 323 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Language requirements at UMPI yc1981 9 919 08-16-2024, 11:08 PM
  Transfer cybersecurity minor/major into UMPI? Robson 11 661 08-16-2024, 12:03 PM
  Need help for UMPI YourPace Admission AnnaVu 6 679 08-16-2024, 11:42 AM