Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concord Law School (Kaplan)
I'd like to hear this forum's opinions on Concord Law School - Kaplan University.

They have an Executive JD degree that is 3 years in length. The tuition is $10k per year plus fees, and the program is eligible for federal financial aid. This program has a lot of practicality in my field, so with its price, I'm very intrigued (even though it's from a for-profit).

Thoughts? Opinions?
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
I don't see how this is any better than getting a masters in CJ for a lot less.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
publius2k4 Wrote:I'd like to hear this forum's opinions on Concord Law School - Kaplan University.

They have an Executive JD degree that is 3 years in length. The tuition is $10k per year plus fees, and the program is eligible for federal financial aid. This program has a lot of practicality in my field, so with its price, I'm very intrigued (even though it's from a for-profit).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Is this the one that the ABA has not endorsed? I think you can only practice law in California. It can still come in handy for jobs that require a JD, like contract manager, but I would research before investing money in the program.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
The executive JD is not even good for practicing law in California.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:I don't see how this is any better than getting a masters in CJ for a lot less.

A masters degree in CJ covers a completely different curriculum that focuses mainly on crime and punishment (victimology, criminology, community based corrections, etc.) The Executive JD is more in depth with courses related more to the judicial system itself (Torts, contracts, legal writing, civil and criminal procedure, etc.).

Prloko Wrote:Is this the one that the ABA has not endorsed? I think you can only practice law in California. It can still come in handy for jobs that require a JD, like contract manager, but I would research before investing money in the program.

You are right. This program is not ABA accredited. However, the Executive JD is not designed for students seeking to practice law. It's for current professionals looking to further their legal education.

That being said, a student graduating from this program and passing the California Bar could also practice in some other states. For example, if an attorney is a member of the Bar in any other state, that attorney can sit for the Bar in the state of Georgia, regardless of their educational background.
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
http://www.amazon.com/Law-School-Bible-L...law+school

This book answers a lot of questions. I've read it twice so far. Smile
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Ancient and Classical History from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
publius2k4 Wrote:A masters degree in CJ covers a completely different curriculum that focuses mainly on crime and punishment (victimology, criminology, community based corrections, etc.) The Executive JD is more in depth with courses related more to the judicial system itself (Torts, contracts, legal writing, civil and criminal procedure, etc.).

How would that be better for someone in correctional leadership? Today's prisons focus more on rehabilitation. A law degree will give you almost no training in the behavioral sciences and correctional therapies.

Quote:That being said, a student graduating from this program and passing the California Bar could also practice in some other states. For example, if an attorney is a member of the Bar in any other state, that attorney can sit for the Bar in the state of Georgia, regardless of their educational background.

Are you sure about that? Are you sure this program would qualify someone to take the California Bar?
Quote:Enrollees also have somewhat more flexibility in their pace of study as they are not required to adhere to the strict guidelines of the State Bar of California.
Executive JD Degree Program - EJD Degree | Concord Law School

There are masters degrees in legal studies. Some of them probably cost less than $30k.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Concord is a school I've been interested in for a few years. I first heard about it when I attended a law conference and a Concord alumni told me how one of its graduates sued the bar and won because he wasn't "qualified" to seat for the Massachusetts bar exam.

Concord is not ABA approved, but only because the ABA standards made it difficult for Concord to adhere. The ABA has strict standards on school approval and on how a student may seat for and/or admit to the bar. One for example, Massachusetts along with all the other states, with the exception of California, requires that your law training be done in a physical classroom and such training cannot be done long distance/online, although some law schools in many states are catching on with the idea of online education, becoming less lenient and allowing the students to take law classes online, but the number of courses/credits one may take is limited. California, however, is the only state that does it differently, for example you don’t need a bachelor to attend law schools, you only need an AA, and with Concord you can do your law training fully online.

What I like about Concord is that after your first year, you take a mandatory exam which you must pass in order to continue with your degree. That to me makes you dig down and really think about law school before wasting additional years and money. And for someone like me who loves law and works in corporate America, and has no interest in becoming a lawyer, the executive program is really enticing and I can see its benefits.

Not many many know this but Concord has four more of its graduates admitted into the Supreme Court, including the guy that sued the Bar.

Like Publius2k4 said, you can get admitted to other states besides California. Just read the bar's requirements for your state or the state you wish to practice law. Some states require to be a practiced attorney for a few years prior to take that state's exam if you did not attend a school that's accredited by the ABA or an Association Law Schools, and if you don't plan on moving to California to practice law there that could be a problem.
Aimée
Goal: BA in Liberal Arts and ASBA in Business Administration @ TESC
In progress:
Liberal Capstone (finishing Dec 2014)
Clep Marketing (Sched 11/7)
DSST Ethics in America (Sched 11/7)

Completed:
CLEP 12: Eng Comp; Computer Applications
Straighterline 81 credits, 27 classes: Accounting 1 & 2; Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2: Business Communications; Business Ethics; Business Law; Anthropology; Economics 1 & 2; Biology; Business; Environmental Sciences; Nutrition; Philosophy; Religions; Sociology; Organizational Behavior; Principles Management; US History 1 & 2; Western Civilization 1 & 2; Microbiology; Medical Terminology; Psychology; Criminal Justice
TEEX 6 credits: ALL
ALEKS 12/18 credits: Inter & Col Algebra; PreCalculus; all 3 statistics
BM 13: ENG 1, Legal Terminology, Stategic Thinking, Info Lit
FEMA 30 credits: completed in 2012 and 2013 ( too bad they won't transfer now, waited too long)
Kaplan 3 : PLA
**duplicate**
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
sanantone Wrote:Are you sure about that? Are you sure this program would qualify someone to take the California Bar?

Law Schools
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 23 836 Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 15 2,497 08-04-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,052 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Purdue Global Owes $128 Million to Kaplan sanantone 6 446 06-27-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 805 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 876 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,511 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 505 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 394 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 928 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia