Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concord Law School (Kaplan)
I think a better understanding of behavioral science would do more to make you a better police officer. Police officers are usually ignorant about the local and state laws they need to enforce. I don't think an EJD will help you much with that. How many criminal justice courses have you taken in the past? Criminal justice courses tend to cover a lot of federal and Supreme Court cases that directly apply to law enforcement. Many police officers make their jobs more difficult by being a-holes. They could benefit a lot from learning basic psychology and sociology.

Teaching: I'm not sure how acceptable your degree would be at a traditional university considering that

1. It's not ABA-accredited.
2. You won't be an attorney.
3. It's from a non-traditional, for-profit school.

Most criminal justice departments these days do not consider the JD to be on par with the PhD. The JD will get you the same jobs as a masters degree in most cases. You can completely scratch out teaching law unless you find a job in the very small market of online law schools, so that leaves you with paralegal studies and criminal justice. Paralegal studies is a very small teaching market while CJ is a huge one. A degree in criminology or criminal justice would be the most preferred degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Trust me, I have been searching for local and online teaching jobs that might even be somewhat relevant to what I studied in my masters program. There aren't as many openings in homeland security as I thought there would be. There are a ton of openings for CJ. While I enjoyed my security studies program more than the CJ courses I've taken, I almost wish I would have gotten a masters in CJ for the teaching options. I've applied to CJ openings hoping they would consider my degree to be "related," but the only place that hired me was a nationally-accredited, for-profit college. If it weren't for my work experience, I wouldn't have gotten that job because my degrees aren't closely related. I know of lawyers who teach at community colleges, but they have the same jobs as those with masters in CJ.

I'm just going to post these job ads for you.
https://facultyjobs.kennesaw.edu/postings/966
https://careers-itt-tech.icims.com/jobs/...rect=false
https://apps.itos.uga.edu/ACH/position/21931
https://edmc.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_...ite_id=148
https://www.saintleo.jobs/postings/12724
https://apps.itos.uga.edu/ach/position/21437
https://apps.itos.uga.edu/ach/position/23544
https://northgeorgia.peopleadmin.com/postings/4334

You do know that more debt will mean higher payments, right? There is the income based repayment plan, but you kind of have to have a low income for the reduction to be significant.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[QUOTE=sanantone;166550
There are masters degrees in legal studies. Some of them probably cost less than $30k.[/QUOTE]

For example, Harvard Extension School ALM in legal studies, approx $24k.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
soliloquy Wrote:Okay, I wasn't aware of his preference for a CJ career - at least I don't believe so. I apologize and retract my statement. I thought you were comparing a JD to a degree CJ degree.

She was answering a question the OP didn't ask.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I know. She does that to me a lot. Lol
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Prloko Wrote:She was answering a question the OP didn't ask.

Um, this was in the OP.

Quote:This program has a lot of practicality in my field, so with its price, I'm very intrigued (even though it's from a for-profit).

My opinion of the program is based on the fact that it costs too much money based on the little practicality it has in the OP's field. Not only that, but you can't practice law with it anywhere, there are cheaper degrees in legal studies that do the same thing, and it's not going to get the OP a teaching job that a masters in CJ couldn't get him. But again, excuse me for trying to get someone out of La La Land. I should be just like everyone else and be like, "Cool! Spend $30k on something that's not worth $30k."

Using background knowledge to answer new questions is called being resourceful. It might just get the OP thinking about things he wouldn't have previously thought about.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Um, this was in the OP.

My opinion of the program is based on the fact that it costs too much money based on the little practicality it has in the OP's field. Not only that, but you can't practice law with it anywhere, there are cheaper degrees in legal studies that do the same thing, and it's not going to get the OP a teaching job that a masters in CJ couldn't get him. But again, excuse me for trying to get someone out of La La Land. I should be just like everyone else and be like, "Cool! Spend $30k on something that's not worth $30k."

Using background knowledge to answer new questions is called being resourceful. It might just get the OP thinking about things he wouldn't have previously thought about.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm in "La La Land." However, I do appreciate your opinions and insight, and it's definitely good to get an outside perspective of the situation.

May we have your opinion on the J.D. and the E.J.D. that the school offers? What are your thoughts on obtaining a degree from this school (without consideration for my situation)?
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
It's okay. We all go into La La Land every once in awhile. Big Grin

I already gave my opinion. The masters of legal studies does the same thing for less, and the EJD might be confusing to employers. The JD is cheaper than your typical ABA-accredited law school, but it has its obvious limitations and should be a last resort. I would probably choose it over a DETC program because that comes with even more limitations.

If you look at the gainful employment information, only 17% of students finish the EJD in 3 years and only 20% finish the JD in 4 years. One could be a part of the small group that finishes on time if he or she already has a lot of experience with writing intensive courses in a distance program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 16 2,728 08-27-2024, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,654 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,254 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Purdue Global Owes $128 Million to Kaplan sanantone 6 536 06-27-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,196 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 970 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,819 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 552 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 418 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 963 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia