Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concord Law School (Kaplan)
publius2k4 Wrote:Law Schools

What was this supposed to show me? Concord does have a JD that follows California's standards; the Executive JD does not follow California's standards. There would be no point in offering the Executive JD if it were just like the JD. If you want to have a chance at practicing law in California, you should enroll in the JD program, not the Executive JD program.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I haven't looked at any specific schools but in California, but certain law schools are registered with the Committee of Bar Examiners of The State Bar of California. These schools, even though they are not accredited by either the ABA or the Committee on Bar Examiners, are authorized to grant a JD. Students at these schools must take the Baby Bar that is administered by the CBE. After they pass the Baby Bar, those students may continue with their law studies to obtain their J.D. degree. Students at law schools accredited by either the ABA or CBE are exempt from having to take and pass the Baby Bar.

A lot of consideration should be taken into whether employers In Cali prefer that a person graduate from an ABA accredited school. There are a lot of under-employed lawyers out there who graduated from a bona fide ABA approved law school and can't find job so I'd make sure this non-ABA school won't be perceived as a strike against you - you don't want to spend all of that money and find out that this is a hindrance to future plans.

For the records, in California, an applicant who has not attended law school may take the bar exam after study under a judge or practicing attorney for an extended period of time.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Sanantone, you seem to want to just throw degree programs out there that really aren't comparable. For instance when I brought up legal project management you through out the idea of legal administration which is an entirely different subset of the legal field. A JD and criminal justice are only vaguely related. In fact, CJ wasn't even considered a specialty area of our Bar until a few years ago.

soliloquy Wrote:Sanantone, you seem to want to just throw degree programs out there that really aren't comparable. For instance when I brought up legal project management you through out the idea of legal administration which is an entirely different subset of the legal field. A JD and criminal justice are only vaguely related. In fact, CJ wasn't even considered a specialty area of our Bar until a few years ago.

I'm not throwing out degree programs that are related to the degree in question; I'm suggesting degree programs that are related to the career in question. Publius2k4 said before that he wants to advance in private corrections. This is a field where CJ is highly preferred. I don't even see how a JD is all that applicable. A management, public administration, or business administration degree would be better than a JD. Excuse me for suggesting options that are more known and accepted by employers instead of letting people go off into La La Land trying to find the most obscure and and expensive programs for god knows why. I can picture employers thinking, "WTF is an Executive JD?" In interviews they might ask, "So, you're a lawyer?" "Well, how come you earned a JD but never applied to the Bar?" "The program doesn't qualify for the Bar?" "I've never heard of that." There are already law programs for people who don't want to practice; they are called masters in legal studies.

Does a degree in legal project management even exist?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Now, let's pull up some correctional leadership positions on Indeed. I skipped over the ones that only require a high school diploma.

Oh, look! A project management job in a detention facility.
Quote:Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or a related field (degree requirement may be satisfied by completion of a career development program that includes work-related experience, training, or college credits at a level of achievement equivalent to the bachelor’s degree)
Tucson Security jobs - Project Manager Dentention Center Florence AZ at Serco

Do they ask for a law degree here? Hmm. NO!
Quote:Preference may be given to those with a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice plus 3 years of progressive work experience in Correctional Security with acquired knowledge at the level of a Correctional Sergeant or 6 years of progressive work experience in Correctional Security with acquired knowledge at the level of a Correctional Sergeant.
WY Human Resources

Maybe here? No, again!
Quote:The formal education equivalent of a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, sociology, psychology, business administration, or a related field; plus four years of experience in correctional security, law enforcement, or a related field, including two years in a supervisory capacity.
https://www.ark.org/arstatejobs/index.ph...obid=67229

How about here? NOPE!
Quote:achelor's degree in correctional management, criminal justice, public/business administration, education, counseling, or other related field and eight (8) years experience as a manager/administrator of criminal justice programs involving incarcerated offenders required.
https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jo...des=indeed

Well, gee. Maybe this job. Nooooo!!!
Quote:Bachelor’s degree in the behavioral sciences or related field supplemented by courses in business administration and a minimum of ten (10) years of work experience in a correctional or detention facility at the minimum level of associate Facility Administrator or Warden or an equivalent combination of education and work experience required.
WARDEN in US-CA-McFarland at The GEO Group, Inc.

Darn. What about this one? Negative!
Quote:High school diploma or G.E.D. required. College degree from an accredited university in Criminal Justice, Business Management, Public Administration, Sociology, Psychology, or a related field preferred.
WARDEN Job in Carlsbad 88220, New Mexico US
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I know the OP wants to work in private corrections, but I thought I'd pull up a government agency in his state. I can't directly link to the job openings, but all you have to do is click on the sergeant and lieutenant openings.
Quote:One year of full-time experience as a uniformed officer in a correctional setting, serving as a first line supervisor of subordinate officers.or completion of at least as associates degree in criminal justice, psychology, sociology, or a directly related field. Note: preference will be given to applicants whose full-time experience as a uniformed officer in a correctional setting was obtained with the Georgia Department of Corrections.
Quote:Six months experience as a first-line supervisor of correctional officers assigned to a variety of security posts such as housing units, offender work details, perimeter security, back gate security, etc. This preferred experience may be included in the one year of full-time experience as a Sergeant; OID Sergeant; or Sergeant, Construction Services; necessary to meet the minimum qualifications. Or completion of at least an Associate's degree in criminal justice, psychology, sociology, or a directly related field.
|| GDC Jobs ||

What? They mention criminal justice degrees, but no law degrees? Sheesh! Someone had me thinking that I was just throwing out any old irrelevant degree.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Okay, I wasn't aware of his preference for a CJ career - at least I don't believe so. I apologize and retract my statement. I thought you were comparing a JD to a degree CJ degree.

sanantone Wrote:I know the OP wants to work in private corrections, but I thought I'd pull up a government agency in his state. I can't directly link to the job openings, but all you have to do is click on the sergeant and lieutenant openings.

|| GDC Jobs ||

What? They mention criminal justice degrees, but no law degrees? Sheesh! Someone had me thinking that I was just throwing out any old irrelevant degree.

Yes, I'm well aware of the requirements for the Georgia Dept of Corrections.....They're a former employer.

I was really asking for thoughts and opinions on the program, not of the programs applicability to potential career plans I may have mentioned in the past. (For the record, I have abandoned the insane idea of working in private corrections.....my student loans are enough to keep me in public sector).

sanantone Wrote:What was this supposed to show me? Concord does have a JD that follows California's standards; the Executive JD does not follow California's standards. There would be no point in offering the Executive JD if it were just like the JD. If you want to have a chance at practicing law in California, you should enroll in the JD program, not the Executive JD program.

I misunderstood a previous statement....I thought you were referring to the J.D., not the E.J.D. My mistake. You are correct; The E.J.D. does not qualify a student to practice law.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Then, what are your plans? Are you still looking to move up, but in public corrections? If you're going to spend $30k on something, it should be applicable to something, especially considering that it will only make your student loans a lot worse.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:Then, what are your plans? Are you still looking to move up, but in public corrections? If you're going to spend $30k on something, it should be applicable to something, especially considering that it will only make your student loans a lot worse.

The debt will increase, but if I stay in public sector, the debt will be forgiven after 10 years.

My current plans are to attend the Georgia Basic Law Enforcement Training Course (already registered, going in July), and I'll be eligible for hire as a police officer after completing the course.

With the E.J.D., I'd like to teach at my local university or possibly online. It would be good supplemental income. Also, I believe that a knowledge of how the judicial system views various incidents would help me make better decisions as a police officer.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 16 2,728 08-27-2024, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,654 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,254 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Purdue Global Owes $128 Million to Kaplan sanantone 6 536 06-27-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,196 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 970 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,819 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  F in high school but 4.0 college gpa Spyrine 4 552 05-18-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 418 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 963 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia