Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science Degree Needed
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and have found the information thus far has been very valuable so I appreciate everyone taking the time to help!

I've never been to college but have been lucky enough to grow a career in project and product management for 7 years now. My recent work is tech heavy. While I don't need to know programming, I felt it would help when working with my partners. I started taking some online courses to learn but stumbled upon WGU and figured I may as well pursue a degree on top of the certifications I was already planning to get. Ultimately this would also help me land a job as a technical program manager. 

At first I was looking at state level colleges but feel WGU would be a better fit. Especially since no one in our space cares where you got a degree from. 

Your Location: Florida
Your Age: 41
What kind of degree do you want?: Computer Science
Timeframe: I'm not in a rush, pretty happy with my current job but still want to be efficient with this journey (i.e. not wasting time on courses I don't need).
Budget: My employer reimburses $5k per year for tuition. I can cover the rest if needed or just wait until the following year depending on timing. 
Commitments: Work and family but can probably average 3-4 hours per day. 
Preferences: 
-I learn well on my own through videos, reading and using ai. 
-I prefer non proctored courses/exams as I imagine most do (I knocked out the Sophia precalc course in 1 day).
-I prefer a "learn at your own pace" model for a college. 
Current Regional Accredited Credits: None
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: Sophia Credits: 3 (Precalc)
Any certifications? SAFe POPM, Google Project Management, Comptia A+, FINRA Series 7 & 66
Google Sheet for tracking credits: I've created a google sheet that outlines the CS degree credit requirements. I plan to start with Sophia, Study.com, maybe Saylor and then transfer credits to WGU- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iPSLgRhz3O3m778t-eeu6LLsYQ2DIH0RamvYO4WfV2g/edit?usp=sharing

Questions:
-Is WGU the best path considering my current situation and preferences? 
-Looking at my google sheet, are there any suggestions or changes you would make?
-If I go with WGU, are there courses through Study.com/Saylor I should just skip and do it with WGU?
@lifted567, Welcome to the board. Yes, that looks like a viable plan, I looked at the spreadsheet, you have 54 credits remaining if you go that route. Did you look at the plans on the WIKI? Hmm, if you have tuition assistance, I would do a double degree at TESU for the BACS/BSBA CIS combo instead. You can complete a flat term this year and another flat term next year, and you end up with two freebie degrees! You'll be well versed in Business Administration and Computer Science, instead of just one... I would look at the plans on the WIKI for this, as you don't have any RA credit yet.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Around here, a WGU degree in Computer Science or Software Development is mainly suggested at people who have significant experience in the field of CS or SD already. It sounds like you have none at the moment, so a WGU degree may be a struggle. The certificates can be particularly brutal, though you do already have the CompTIA A+ and that helps a bit. WGU isn't a bad choice, but they certainly don't fit everyone's needs.

Another option would be to complete a Computer Science degree through TESU. For someone with little/no actual experience in programming, a TESU degree won't be easy either, but it will almost certainly be easier and faster than WGU. Unlike WGU, you can transfer in everything except for the last 6 credits to TESU. You would need some RA (or RA-equivalent) credit, but that can be done cheaply/easily/quickly, especially if you have tuition reimbursement.

There is also SNHU. They're more expensive than TESU, but may still be cheaper than 1.5-2 years at WGU. They're also not exactly "learn at your own pace" for the last 30 credits, unlike TESU and WGU. So they're probably not the best choice for you, but I thought I would mention them anyway.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-01-2023, 12:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @lifted567, Welcome to the board.  Yes, that looks like a viable plan, I looked at the spreadsheet, you have 54 credits remaining if you go that route.  Did you look at the plans on the WIKI?  Hmm, if you have tuition assistance, I would do a double degree at TESU for the BACS/BSBA CIS combo instead.  You can complete a flat term this year and another flat term next year, and you end up with two freebie degrees!  You'll be well versed in Business Administration and Computer Science, instead of just one... I would look at the plans on the WIKI for this, as you don't have any RA credit yet.

I have not looked into that yet but I'm a sucker for 2 for 1 deals, thanks so much!

(10-01-2023, 01:05 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Around here, a WGU degree in Computer Science or Software Development is mainly suggested at people who have significant experience in the field of CS or SD already. It sounds like you have none at the moment, so a WGU degree may be a struggle. The certificates can be particularly brutal, though you do already have the CompTIA A+ and that helps a bit. WGU isn't a bad choice, but they certainly don't fit everyone's needs.

Another option would be to complete a Computer Science degree through TESU. For someone with little/no actual experience in programming, a TESU degree won't be easy either, but it will almost certainly be easier and faster than WGU. Unlike WGU, you can transfer in everything except for the last 6 credits to TESU. You would need some RA (or RA-equivalent) credit, but that can be done cheaply/easily/quickly, especially if you have tuition reimbursement.

There is also SNHU. They're more expensive than TESU, but may still be cheaper than 1.5-2 years at WGU. They're also not exactly "learn at your own pace" for the last 30 credits, unlike TESU and WGU. So they're probably not the best choice for you, but I thought I would mention them anyway.

That makes a lot of sense actually, I appreciate the feedback and will take a look at TESU!
(10-01-2023, 12:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @lifted567, Welcome to the board.  Yes, that looks like a viable plan, I looked at the spreadsheet, you have 54 credits remaining if you go that route.  Did you look at the plans on the WIKI?  Hmm, if you have tuition assistance, I would do a double degree at TESU for the BACS/BSBA CIS combo instead.  You can complete a flat term this year and another flat term next year, and you end up with two freebie degrees!  You'll be well versed in Business Administration and Computer Science, instead of just one... I would look at the plans on the WIKI for this, as you don't have any RA credit yet.

Sorry to bother but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right place. Is there a spreadsheet similar to what I did for TESU? Would like to know what I could do through ACE vs. TESU requirements.

Edit: I found the Wiki Smile
Yeah, there are two options, I would do a mix of both LevelUP and Rachel83AZ's plans...
Do the most Sophia.org, Study.com, CSM, plus Coursera you can, then finish with TESU flat rate...
LevelUP Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Rachel83AZ Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...z_version)

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • awildstudentappeared
(10-01-2023, 06:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, there are two options, I would do a mix of both LevelUP and Rachel83AZ's plans...
Do the most Sophia.org, Study.com, CSM, plus Coursera you can, then finish with TESU flat rate...
LevelUP Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Rachel83AZ Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...z_version)

Awesome, thank you. Rachel's added some clarification on the course names so I'm combining them both. Also adding a column for touchstones where applicable based on another wiki.
That's great, yes, create a customized spreadsheet template for yourself to max/mix the requirements with what's entered in both WIKI links, the main things is, deciding which courses you want to use with the provider of choice. For example, English I shows Sophia.org on both links, but for English II, that changes due to each moderators preference... you want to modify it to your own liking, for example, you may decide to do the CLEP/MS as you get that free and you're 5 minutes from a testing site. And if you can, please share your version so we can comment on any changes if needed to optimize your learning and max use of alternative credits for both BACS/BSBA CIS...

Other possibilities for some students for English Comp II would include the DSST or TECEP exams. My plan for the dual degree aimed to be as easy/cheap/fast as possible while applying to as many students as possible. Ultimately, English Comp II mainly boils down to student preference and availability. Not all choices fit every student.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-02-2023, 02:02 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Other possibilities for some students for English Comp II would include the DSST or TECEP exams. My plan for the dual degree aimed to be as easy/cheap/fast as possible while applying to as many students as possible. Ultimately, English Comp II mainly boils down to student preference and availability. Not all choices fit every student.

Got it. I don't do well on exams, I may feel differently as I get into the groove of being in "school" and studying. I'll start with Sophia and SDC and see how I feel after doing some of those.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan pedroso91 4 104 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pursuing CS Degree at 33 - starting from 0 MrPokey 14 815 10-25-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 15 1,265 10-24-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  Advice needed - Non-Citizen; US L1 Visa; Want to go into Supply Chain Management themellopez 6 264 10-22-2024, 01:53 AM
  UoPeople to UMPI - Seeking Advice on Completing Bachelor’s Degree Robotik 3 207 10-21-2024, 12:50 PM
  Degree plan advice - Impossible to realize hakjack 9 485 10-20-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 13 931 10-20-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Please help for degree planning zyczycccc 5 360 10-17-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: zyczycccc
  Breaking Into Sales - Help With Getting a Bachelor’s Degree (Most Likely Business Adm AccountingForThis 8 355 10-17-2024, 01:15 PM
  Please help for degree planning Rabbitbunny 7 362 10-15-2024, 07:50 PM