Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College a Scam? (Not my words...see article)
Food for thought:

rethinking college as student loan burdens rise: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Ehh.. I don't agree with him for the most part. The student loans, as we've talked about in other threads, have gotten way out of hand for people. But beyond that... There are fields where you don't have to have a college degree to thrive in. IT is one of them (speaking from experience...) Sales would be another (Its more about personality and networking rather than book smarts) and the list goes on, but to get into professional positions 9 out of 10 times, you need that piece of paper saying that you stayed awake long enough in class to do a passable effort. Maybe 100 years ago, you could get into working in a lab without a college background, or 50 years ago you could teach in a little school on the prarie, but these days, places want licensure.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Another reason for people to find this method of gaining your degree -- then you can pay for your exams as you go, and not be in debt when it is over.

These are options that were just not available to us many years ago.

That was probably a reason why so many of us older, returning students did not get our degrees sooner. Our other obligations made it so that we could not justify either the time or money to go to college when we had family to take care of and living expences to meet.

Thank you IC and the Big 3!
P00057870 Wrote:Another reason for people to find this method of gaining your degree -- then you can pay for your exams as you go, and not be in debt when it is over.

These are options that were just not available to us many years ago.

That was probably a reason why so many of us older, returning students did not get our degrees sooner. Our other obligations made it so that we could not justify either the time or money to go to college when we had family to take care of and living expenses to meet.

Thank you IC and the Big 3!

Couldn't agree more. My wife (has her degree in Interior Design from a Tokyo university) and I have been talking about where our sons will go to school...needless to say, if I have my way they'll have their degrees, for the most part, done before they graduate high school. Having that box checked, they can then go out and build up their life experiences with no student loan. I have learned a lot from the other parents of this forum and garner a lot from the route their children have taken.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:needless to say, if I have my way they'll have their degrees, for the most part, done before they graduate high school. Having that box checked, they can then go out and build up their life experiences with no student loan.
...And have time to earn another degree if they so desire (bachelors, masters, PhD...).
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
My dad emailed me that exact same Yahoo report a few days ago. I haven't read/listened to it yet, but it sounds pretty accurate from what I've heard.
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
I think the article has some good points, as do many of the responses here. In my own opinion, I think that in many colleges the priority has changed. While the original mission may have been to educate America's youth, many colleges are now being run as a business. Education is still important, but primarily as a justifier of charging a higher tuition. The reason behind this change is complicated, but I think we can safely say it's not because the quality of education is getting better.

So why are colleges so concerned with money? That would be the question I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Bitcoin Is a Scam LevelUP 32 5,308 03-22-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: Ronald_P
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 513 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,619 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Two Words: MADE IN AMERICA LevelUP 20 1,869 10-14-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  College of Golf Alpha 5 872 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 1,085 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,808 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 644 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 1,030 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 12,242 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44