Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking the box - TAMUC or UMPI
Looking for options going forward and was requested that I start this new thread. I'm 52 with zero credits behind me and wanting to "check the box" - both for my secular work and, likely, continued online theological training in a particular seminary. They don't care what my bachelor's is in.

I'm new to this and I'm just learning my way around the terminology and basics, so please bear with me! I first discovered in browsing the forum that UMPI was recommended for someone in my position but was then told about TAMUC. If I'm understanding what I'm seeing, both look like viable options, although I am suddenly drawn to TAMUC since I learned about it. Call it a Texas pride thing.  Wink

But what matters most right now is getting done as quickly as possible. What are some practical considerations and comparisons? It looks like Sophia is accepted at both schools? Do I just start by signing up on Sophia and start knocking out courses ASAP? 

Your Location: Texas
Your Age: 52
What kind of degree do you want?: Checking the box - probably business related
Current Regional Accredited Credits: None
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: None
Any certifications or military experience? No
Budget: Not a concern, but don't want to waste money or time
Commitments: FT job with OT, family and church commitments
Dedicated time to study: I get up early - a couple of hours every morning on work days, more on days off.
Timeline: ASAP
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No
[-] The following 1 user Likes westex93's post:
  • ltw900rr
Hello,

My wife pursued her degree for the same reason, and she started 1 semester after I did at TAMUC.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

https://www.tamuc.edu/programs/organizat...baas-orgl/

Please look over the 3 links above. I have 3 friends who started the BAAS ORG Leadership Program for Summer 2. (last semester to lock in the $750 price)

Tuition for the Fall of 24 on has officially increased to $1000 per 7 week semester.

Yes, you can take classes through Sophia and transfer those to TAMUC for evaluation. I transferred in 20 something hours from Sophia.

At a minimum you have to take the 10 courses for your major, plus 2 upper level electives. I ended up taking 14 courses at TAMUC. It took me 4 of the 7 week semesters to complete the program, my wife finished 12 courses in 3 semesters. Everyone's time will vary, but those are 2 examples.

There were a few of us (and our spouses) on this forum who participated in graduation for the Spring semester of 24. Walking across the stage and having family there was worth it to me.

If you have questions about TAMUC, ask away!!!

Completed:
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
SJC AAS Automotive Technology
[-] The following 2 users Like ltw900rr's post:
  • allvia, staceydiane
@westex93, Welcome to the board, TAMUC is an awesome choice and should be your first. I would recommend to select UMPI as your backup option, in fact, since you're starting off, you can get up to 90 credits from Sophia.org transferred into both degrees at TAMUC/UMPI. Start accumulating Sophia.org credits until you have the bulk of it completed and then continue with the residency requirements at the respective institution you decide on... That's it!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • ltw900rr, westex93
If you're in Texas TAMUC is a better option, the credibility within the state of the A&M brand is amazing.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 6 users Like mohelena02's post:
  • allvia, jg_nuy, LevelUP, ltw900rr, staceydiane, westex93
(07-21-2024, 07:19 AM)ltw900rr Wrote: Hello,

My wife pursued her degree for the same reason, and she started 1 semester after I did at TAMUC.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

https://www.tamuc.edu/programs/organizat...baas-orgl/

Please look over the 3 links above. I have 3 friends who started the BAAS ORG Leadership Program for Summer 2. (last semester to lock in the $750 price)

Tuition for the Fall of 24 on has officially increased to $1000 per 7 week semester.

Yes, you can take classes through Sophia and transfer those to TAMUC for evaluation. I transferred in 20 something hours from Sophia.

At a minimum you have to take the 10 courses for your major, plus 2 upper level electives. I ended up taking 14 courses at TAMUC. It took me 4 of the 7 week semesters to complete the program, my wife finished 12 courses in 3 semesters. Everyone's time will vary, but those are 2 examples.

There were a few of us (and our spouses) on this forum who participated in graduation for the Spring semester of 24. Walking across the stage and having family there was worth it to me.

If you have questions about TAMUC, ask away!!!

Thank you for your real world experience! I determined to go that route and started with Sophia today. Anything you can think of along the way that may help is much appreciated!

Thank you all. TAMUC it is! I signed up on Sophia today and started hammering out classes. Wish me luck!
[-] The following 4 users Like westex93's post:
  • allvia, jg_nuy, LevelUP, ltw900rr
The nice thing is that you don’t have to decide right away. The courses that are on the wiki for the UMPI BABA Management & Leadership would still count as electives for the TAMUC program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CenterSquarEd's post:
  • westex93
Fellow Texan here, I highly recommend TAMUC. I earned a BAAS in Organizational Leadership and continued my studies at the graduate school for my master's degree.
Texas A&M University-Commerce: M.S. Organization, Learning, and Technologies '25
Texas A&M University-Commerce: BAAS Organizational Leadership, Summa Cum Laude 
Universidad Internacional Isabel I De Castilla/ENEB-MBA Master of Business Administration
Pierpont Community and Technical College: AAS BOG, AOE Criminal Justice 

[-] The following 3 users Like txc1500's post:
  • ltw900rr, staceydiane, westex93

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BA Project Management Billyjoe2308 5 189 09-02-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Billyjoe2308
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 13 1,156 08-31-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Dr Tree Man
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan,Urgent Help Needed! edward.ri 1 237 08-28-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,292 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM
Thumbs Up UMPI PM & IS Degree. Complete Newbie TooNee 10 852 08-25-2024, 12:17 AM
  Seeking Advice on Fast-Tracking a Bachelor's Degree in PM+IS from UMPI Fiona 4 416 07-23-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI YourPace BLS Educational Studies Minor ecomony 3 262 07-16-2024, 11:12 PM
  UMPI - MINORS DavidGood 11 769 07-12-2024, 02:49 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI Yourpace Degree help - BLS Educational Studies - Sophia Learning Podcastillo 5 437 07-11-2024, 01:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Will this plan get me into UMPI and then Law School? khp2011 7 776 07-10-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: khp2011