Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap Options for Graduate School
Ok, I am trying to plan out my options for graduate school. I prefer either an MBA or MPA, but if I had to choose I would say MPA and I am looking for the cheapest route. From what I understand is some of the cheaper schools are Valdosta University, APU/AMU, Patten, WGU, ENMU/WNMU, and Fort Hays. If anyone knows of cheaper options let me know. I have a little over a year to plan this out and I want the best option. Just for knowledge sakes I will not have an undergraduate degree in business so I may have to take some foundational courses. On a side note what are people's opinions on a MLS with a concentration in Public Administration from Fort Hays? Do you think it holds close to the same weight as an MPA without specialty accreditation? :coolgleam:
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
Both University of South Dakota and University of North Dakota have dirt cheap MPA programs. Both are research universities and would be more recognized than any of the options you listed. And as someone who has been a public sector HR manager, an MPA is better than an MLA/MLS in Public Admin, unless the latter was from a far superior school.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

As a graduate of UND's MBA program I can highly recommend their business school, though some pre-reqs will likely be necessary and may drive the price up a little. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
bawhitsett Wrote:As a graduate of UND's MBA program I can highly recommend their business school, though some pre-reqs will likely be necessary and may drive the price up a little. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think you made an excellent choice. I'm actually surprised there aren't more people in either forum that attended UND or USD MBA.

Was there a reason why you chose UND over USD MBA? They seem similarly priced. I have no preference between the two but I thought you probably have better insight.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
taylor Wrote:I think you made an excellent choice. I'm actually surprised there aren't more people in either forum that attended UND or USD MBA.

Was there a reason why you chose UND over USD MBA? They seem similarly priced. I have no preference between the two but I thought you probably have better insight.

You're absolutely right, both are priced about the same and they have the same accreditation. The 2 things that were attractive to me for UND included an accounting concentration that they no longer offer and the fact that they are known of in the aerospace field, which, being in Houston, gives it some local name recognition. Otherwise I was able to chat with a couple of people who have attended various distance business programs they offer and it was recommended.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
Liberty university apparently offers tuition discount for veterans. Per the website it is $250 a credit. What do you think of liberty?
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
I just ran across the MBA program at Edinburgh Business School, at Heriot-Watt University in Scotland. It is earned through sitting for exams which are given at locations throughout the world including various cities in the US. From what I see the exams cost 125 pounds, roughly 200 dollars. There are seven core course exams and two elective course exams. You study for the exams through self study with a distance learning website but I'm not sure what the charge for access to each courses website is. I actually came to the forum to see if anyone else had experience with this program. Might be a good option especially for those who did the assessment route for undergrad. Edinburgh Business School Distance Learning, MBA, Online Courses
Well I proceded through page to order a course and the cost for the course access is $1395 (USD) plus $50 shipping for course texts. So it would be just under 15,000 all together, provided you pass tests on first try, and would not be able to get financial aid. Still an interesting option and relatively affordable and the school has a good reputation internationally.
Bunnies! Bunnies everywhere!
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
smf6824 Wrote:Ok, I am trying to plan out my options for graduate school. I prefer either an MBA or MPA, but if I had to choose I would say MPA and I am looking for the cheapest route. From what I understand is some of the cheaper schools are Valdosta University, APU/AMU, Patten, WGU, ENMU/WNMU, and Fort Hays. If anyone knows of cheaper options let me know. I have a little over a year to plan this out and I want the best option. Just for knowledge sakes I will not have an undergraduate degree in business so I may have to take some foundational courses. On a side note what are people's opinions on a MLS with a concentration in Public Administration from Fort Hays? Do you think it holds close to the same weight as an MPA without specialty accreditation? :coolgleam:
All good choices, Chadron State also comes to mind, I almost went with them but opted instead for WGU. What state do you call home? I would look at the local options even if they offer them online. I think there is something to be said for the well known school close to home.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 24 1,271 09-21-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,238 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,945 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 56 10,079 09-12-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: slammX
  Quick, Cheap, Easy Academic Certificate kevinmane 11 3,358 09-10-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 963 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,902 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,456 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,865 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,117 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77