Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change of options - Seeking Advice
I was talking with a coworker about possibly after my mathematics degree to do a business one. I want one to prove to myself I can get one and to make sure I am not limited if plans fall through for my current goals. As I think everyone here can agree, life doesn't always go 100% to plan.

I will look up teaching and the big 3 for the forums, i haven't done that yet. Also, in regards to business, I don't actually need the physical education about that, i actually own and operate a small clothing brand. I'm not trying to make plugs for that, and that is why I didn't previously mention it.

I will research a few more things on the forum about this latest stuff and keep everyone updated! Thanks

Also I want to get it out there I am not worried about the too much education, not enough experience deal. I have a large amount of experience as an analyst and sensor operator for the military, in which I am still furthering my experience at this time. All of the degrees I'm considering can also help me move further in this same career path.
Sorry for making a 2nd post back to back but I've decided what I want to go with after spending a few hours reading around the site. I want to do the BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics. I want to attempt to test out of as much as possible first and then go onto the online classes, if you guys agree that would be the wisest route. I posted my current education credits on the first post of this thread.

I believe that fully covers my ATRRS (army transcript), but I may be missing a few military stuff I can attempt to get credit from. How do I move forward with attempting to map this all out and find out what tests to take and prepare for?
The Big 3 don't have teacher licensure programs. You will either need to complete a post-graduate certificate or masters that leads to licensure or your state's alternative teacher certification program. The same goes for any graduate of any school who does not complete a licensure program.

As far as TESC's legitimacy in the job market, most people outside of New Jersey and the military have never heard of it. To them, it'll just be another Podunk State College.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
frankenbenz Wrote:Sorry for making a 2nd post back to back but I've decided what I want to go with after spending a few hours reading around the site. I want to do the BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics. I want to attempt to test out of as much as possible first and then go onto the online classes, if you guys agree that would be the wisest route. I posted my current education credits on the first post of this thread.

I believe that fully covers my ATRRS (army transcript), but I may be missing a few military stuff I can attempt to get credit from. How do I move forward with attempting to map this all out and find out what tests to take and prepare for?

You can choose the best combination of exams/courses for you and your goals. Here (scroll down a bit) is a recent plan for this area of study that uses exams:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post168438
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
frankenbenz Wrote:This is going to be long winded so please stop now unless you have a genuine interest in helping me out. I don't want to waste your time.

I've posted before, I was going to be attending Illinois State University, but I had a change in opportunities and will no longer be doing that. ISU accepted:

So that is I suppose where I sit at with college. I want to I guess pursue a BS in a mathematics field. I want to also do CLEP and other tests to do what I can to get this done. Is the stigma of an
"internet degree" from an "internet college" going to legitimately hurt my job prospects and career upward movement? What kind of timeline should I expect to need for this, starting as a sophomore? Where do I start? How can I develop a program for a degree? How do I know what ones I need to take?

Also, I am in the military, have GI benefits as well as some FTA still. I need to figure out how to use the TA still (haven't done it before). I am asking for guidance and opinions from members here, that have gone the online degree route to completion. I have read a lot of whats on the site and so if you reference something I may know what you are talking about. I have even gone through part of a flip card cycle to see what those were like.

It all seems to have hit me pretty fast, and I was really thinking I could do the 4 year university thing, but I just know I can't. It isn't for me in anyway, but I still want higher education, even beyond a BS

thank you

I think you should look at brick and mortar colleges that offer part or all of the degree via distance learning and accept your prior credits + CLEP. Sometimes people get confused when they are here, that they need to go the fastest and cheapest route to a degree....which is great for some, but that's not really the best goal. Presumably, you're only going to get your undergrad degree ONCE, so make it count.
My associate degree was brick and mortar and CENTRAL to me developing the career skills (and pedigree) necessary to get started in my field. There was no substitute for the hands on training I needed. That said, since chefs don't generally do ADDITIONAL schooling, my bachelor's degree wasn't important, TESC was an excellent fit FOR ME. When I picked my master's, I was careful to choose a brick and mortar *well respected* college that also offered distance options. (keeping the "stigma" potential very low)

Clearly you believe there may be valid reasons not to go with the big 3, and I'm on your side. I don't think the big 3 is the right path for all people. It can be right for some, but there are many individual variables that you need to consider.... cost and time are only 2 of them. If you don't mind saying, why won't you be at ISU?

If it were me, and I were starting a new career, I'd make a giant venn diagram that included sets of the best degree options, the most prestigious colleges that would have me, CLEP/AP/DSST policy-especially for gen eds, distance learning options-especially for non major courses, and COST. The intersection is probably the best school for you. Good luck!
I relocated for a job offer to instruct military personnel, will be a great experience and is in a booming government field. I am no longer going to be living in Illinois. That is why for the bachelors I am moving away from B&M type schools for the time being. If I stay where my job currently is (Texas) I have a A&M school I will transfer to after the online. The field I am currently in doesn't actually have a specialized degree in anyway, most people tend to do history/mathematics/political sci/law

thank you for all of the replies. I am working on a plan to figure out what i'll be taking

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking general thoughts and advise starsfan33 4 226 09-12-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,455 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 114 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 328 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Xamk enforces new change Avidreader 17 1,296 07-24-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: wow
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,074 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 969 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 3,001 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 429 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 2,570 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77