Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone Topic Review and Help
I am wondering if this community can help me out with some sub questions or give me feedback on what I have so far.

Topic: Practicality of Virtual Reality in the Field of Medicine
Topic in Form of Question: Is virtual reality practical in the field of medicine?

Sub-questions: 
How does virtual reality aid modern medicine? or How will virtual reality aid modern medicine?
What are the costs associated with implementing virtual reality in a hospital setting?

That's all I have right now. Please help. Thanks.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Is there a lot of viable scholarly sources on this topic? I haven't heard much about it.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
That might be an issue. I'm going to check on that.
I did a quick Google Scholar search and there is a wealth of info on using and testing VR for medical training as well as psychological therapies and pain/anxiety relief during medical procedures.

Your sub-questions are used to answer your major question. I think the question asking how does VR aid modern medicine as your major question. Then you could ask sub-questions like how is VR used in training medical professionals, how is VR currently used in a clinical setting with patients, and what are future medical applications of VR. The trick will be to find a way to conduct your chapter 4 study that is not a straight research paper. Maybe you could cross reference something between multiple recent studies. That might be tricky.

For your chapter one background section you could focus more on the history of VR in medicine. In my quick search, I found several articles dating back to the 80's.

Lots of books available on the topic to use for your literature review or study: https://smile.amazon.com/s?field-keyword...ture-SEARC
[-] The following 1 user Likes DIGI-212's post:
  • MrBossmanJr
My son and I just completed our capstones. He did his on Why would an organization want to use VR?
Neither of us was experienced at research projects and he had an especially hard time finding current studies done on VR in Google scholar and NJSL. You probably already know about the Research Resources tab at the top of the courses in My Edison(we didn't catch this until about halfway through the class) He found EBSCOhost - Academic Search Premier as the best place to find full PDF's of sources for his project.
One thing about medical VR is that it is used for medical training/education or medical solutions for patients. So you may want to specify this in your topic. It also can be broken down between mental health or physical health solutions if needed.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes mudball's post:
  • MrBossmanJr
Thanks everyone.

DIGI-212, what did you mean by "The trick will be to find a way to conduct your chapter 4 study that is not a straight research paper."

How does chapter 4 work?
(12-27-2018, 06:32 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Thanks everyone.

DIGI-212, what did you mean by "The trick will be to find a way to conduct your chapter 4 study that is not a straight research paper."

How does chapter 4 work?

My mentor and my daughter's mentor both required original research. I have heard others say they were not required to have this. However, the way the syllabus is written the capstone is not supposed to be a straight research paper regurgitating someone else's research. This may depend on who you have for your mentor.

Chapter 1:
Background on why you are writing on your chosen topic and an introduction to your main question and sub-questions.

Chapter 2: 
Review of literature that already exists on your topic. (My mentor required a minimum of 5 scholarly sources.)

Chapter 3: 
Overview of the methodology you will employ to answer each of the sub-questions. You have to state what methodology you are using (quantitative, qualitative, case study, ethnographic, action research, comparative study, correlation, evaluation, descriptive) and how you will use it to answer each question in a way that they will answer your main question. My mentor required at least 2 different methods.

Between chapters 3 and 4, you actually conduct your study (maybe conducting a poll or survey, performing a comparison of two authors...) 

Chapter 4: 
This is the results of your study-- just the facts you collected with no commentary.

Chapter 5:
This is where you get to discuss the results and the possible significance (or not.)

Somewhere on this forum is a pdf of the capstone e-textbook. Take a look at that for more info.
Who was your mentor?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(12-27-2018, 10:43 PM)DIGI-212 Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 06:32 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Thanks everyone.

How does chapter 4 work?

My mentor and my daughter's mentor both required original research. I have heard others say they were not required to have this. However, the way the syllabus is written the capstone is not supposed to be a straight research paper regurgitating someone else's research. This may depend on who you have for your mentor.

Chapter 1:
Background on why you are writing on your chosen topic and an introduction to your main question and sub-questions.

Chapter 2: 
Review of literature that already exists on your topic. (My mentor required a minimum of 5 scholarly sources.)

Chapter 3: 
Overview of the methodology you will employ to answer each of the sub-questions. You have to state what methodology you are using (quantitative, qualitative, case study, ethnographic, action research, comparative study, correlation, evaluation, descriptive) and how you will use it to answer each question in a way that they will answer your main question. My mentor required at least 2 different methods.

Between chapters 3 and 4, you actually conduct your study (maybe conducting a poll or survey, performing a comparison of two authors...) 

Chapter 4: 
This is the results of your study-- just the facts you collected with no commentary.

Chapter 5:
This is where you get to discuss the results and the possible significance (or not.)

Somewhere on this forum is a pdf of the capstone e-textbook. Take a look at that for more info.

Oh! This is completely new info for me. While I understand that one must not regurgitate someone else’s research, I don’t think there is a problem with synthesizing different sources of knowledge and offering your understanding of it all? You have mentioned that comparing two authors is allowed. Could you please clarify? Finally, how did you deal with this situation? Did you actually conduct a survey?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
DIGI-212

Do you have a copy of the e-textbook? I recommend reading the chapter about types of capstone projects (around page 20.) I don't think I could explain it any better than it is explained in the text. 

You need some way to collect data of some kind to answer each of your sub-questions. This can be through interviews, polls, surveys, databases, or a number of other ways depending on the type of project you choose to do.

I did a comparative study with multiple surveys/polls of people in my community and compared them against existing research. Another student in my class did a comparative study, cross-referencing two books on a number of pre-determined topics. Several students did Facebook surveys and got so many responses they had a hard time compiling all of the data. If doing a survey/poll, I recommend keeping it to a small group of people and don't ask open-ended or short response questions because those can't be displayed in a table. The method for reporting on interview and short-response answers is cumbersome. Ask yes or no questions or questions based on a scale of answers so they can be displayed in a table and your life will be easier in the short two weeks you have to do your study and report on it.

The last 20 pages of the e-textbook has samples for each chapter of the capstone paper. Reading that may give you a better idea of what is expected.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,290 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 529 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,371 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,116 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,178 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 922 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 703 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 901 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 2,037 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU Review gams007 3 954 02-04-2023, 05:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77