Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you please help out a beginner. Any advice appreciated!
First off thank you for the advice. I appreciate it all. I apologize if this post is asked everyday or if i posted on the wrong place. I'm on mobile and it makes it very difficult to search and scour every single page and what not. Now a little on me and my goals for the future.

I'm 24 years old (in about a week) and I live in NYC. I have a HS diploma, but graduated with an I.E.P diploma which limits me. I can't enroll into certain colleges. I'm working on getting my GED which makes it easier to enroll into other colleges. I don't know the first thing about college. I don't even know how to enroll in one. After graduating all I did was work part time jobs to help support my family. We had very little and I couldn't afford to go to college. All my time was focused on helping my mom keep a roof over our heads. Now that my family is more or less stable I'd love to get a bachelor's degree. Why you ask? Well I want to teach English abroad in Japan. I want to move, experience new things, travel and only have to be responsible for myself. I want to start a new life. What are the requirements to teach abroad in japan? Be a native English speaker and have a bachelor's degree. Those are also the requirements to get a working visa to go to Japan. I know about TELF and I plan on taking that too so securing a job in Japan will be easier. I want the easiest way and most cheapest way to get any bachelor's degree. It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's cheap and fast. I'd also like help in figuring out how to enroll into college and getting started on my journey after my GED. After looking up information I figured I'd like to go to TESC since it's the cheapest. I don't know much about testing out except take some test for credit and get a degree. I would love it if someone could please help me out in understanding what steps need to be done to complete my longer term goal.

Thank you in advance.
There are a lot of good options for you. This group will strongly suggest one of the "Big 3" Thomas Edison State University, Excelsior College, and Charter Oak State. All three are properly accredited and take a great deal of transfer and credit by exam. There is a link in my signature that details an AA/AS degree plan at Charter Oak....that would be half way to your bachelors it will help you stay to understand what your facing.

I'm sure others will quickly come in with great advice as well. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
What a great goal! One of the things that makes a program "fast" is playing to your strengths. For example, it wouldn't be a good idea for a math-phobic person to pursue a degree in math or accounting if the goal is to graduate quickly. Which subjects do you enjoy most (or least, for that matter)?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Which subjects do you enjoy most (or least, for that matter)?

Good point. I'm not very good with math but if I need to be I'll study for it and do exceptionally well. I'm good with history and ironically English and writing which is what I want to teach in the future haha.
rebel100 Wrote:This group will strongly suggest one of the "Big 3" Thomas Edison State University, Excelsior College, and Charter Oak State.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I was looking at Thomas Edison State University since is cheaper ha-ha. I'm definitely checking out your link now!
There are several degrees at TESU that are test-out-able, or almost with just 1 course to take (the capstone) for most degrees. I agree with KayV, the cheapest/fastest/easiest degree is one that you're good at. For instance, the BSBA (business) degree by far cheapest because you can test out of the capstone. BUT, if you don't enjoy business courses, then it makes it rather difficult to get that degree. Not impossible, but you just probably won't enjoy yourself much. Studying for exams would become burdensome.

So, look at the degree plans for all 3 schools, and think about what you'd like to spend your time studying. If you like history and english, a BALS (liberal studies) degree is good, and quick, because it's very flexible. An actual degree in history or english is harder because of the very specific requirements that are harder to find, and more expensive.

Check out the liberal studies degree, and also at all of the tests that are available to get that degree; with liberal studies, you can take any of the Humanities like English, Philosophy, Religion, Communications; any of the Social Sciences like History, Psychology, Anthropology, Criminal Justice; and any of the Natural Sciences like Biology, Chemistry and Computer Science. It just opens up all of the possibilities.

Now, the caveat is that it is very broad, and not the most useful degree in terms of getting a job later on. BUT, with your goals of teaching English in Japan, it might be the perfect fit for you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This old thread, especially the post by KayV, might or might not be helpful. The plan she mapped out is based on old requirements to get a BA. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...broad.html
A high school diploma or GED is not required to enroll at Charter Oak State College (although it is needed for financial aid). You must have nine college credits to enroll. These can be from CLEP tests or ACE credit, etc.

Good luck on getting your degree.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
topdog98 Wrote:A high school diploma or GED is not required to enroll at Charter Oak State College (although it is needed for financial aid). You must have nine college credits to enroll. These can be from CLEP tests or ACE credit, etc.

Good luck on getting your degree.

So I just enroll into the college and take the tests? Transfer the credits, etc? I do plan on getting my GED it's free and will help the fees later on. Financial aid is definitely an option as money is tight. I'm sorry I just don't know much of the process of enrolling at college.
dfrecore Wrote:There are several degrees at TESU that are test-out-able, or almost with just 1 course to take (the capstone) for most degrees. I agree with KayV, the cheapest/fastest/easiest degree is one that you're good at. For instance, the BSBA (business) degree by far cheapest because you can test out of the capstone. BUT, if you don't enjoy business courses, then it makes it rather difficult to get that degree. Not impossible, but you just probably won't enjoy yourself much. Studying for exams would become burdensome.

So, look at the degree plans for all 3 schools, and think about what you'd like to spend your time studying. If you like history and english, a BALS (liberal studies) degree is good, and quick, because it's very flexible. An actual degree in history or english is harder because of the very specific requirements that are harder to find, and more expensive.

Check out the liberal studies degree, and also at all of the tests that are available to get that degree; with liberal studies, you can take any of the Humanities like English, Philosophy, Religion, Communications; any of the Social Sciences like History, Psychology, Anthropology, Criminal Justice; and any of the Natural Sciences like Biology, Chemistry and Computer Science. It just opens up all of the possibilities.

Now, the caveat is that it is very broad, and not the most useful degree in terms of getting a job later on. BUT, with your goals of teaching English in Japan, it might be the perfect fit for you.

A business BA sounds good actually. I don't mind it at all as I would like to open up a business eventually and I assume that would come in handy. I also don't mind getting multiple bachelor's ha-ha. My focus is just getting one quick so that I can't start a new life. I assume I can always go back and use the last CLEP test taken towards a new BA?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Beginner's Guide to Coffee certificate from Sunway University ArshveerCheema 0 64 Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 348 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 972 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 3,007 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,591 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,376 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 2,438 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 886 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 1,086 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 6,756 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha