Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too
Question 
Today my counselor at CC , printed me out a list of schools that I could transfer and I noticed that she highlighted certain schools like : NYU , Emory and Boston College. When I asked why she told me that the better the name of the school the more money you make when it comes to nursing. Huh . I'm sorta confused because isn't the material at an ivy league school similar if not identical to one at a community college or state university.  As crazy as it seems I'm mostly leaning towards a nursing school with connections to a good hospital and possibly somewhere where it's warm and entertaining and diversified. Ivy League seems desirable but all I can truly think about is the student loans piling up. 
When comes to how you selected schools what traits were important or desirable to you? Also , um how can I truly break free from my controlling dad whose trying to follow me to college?
Those aren't Ivy League schools. Those are just expensive, private schools.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 4 users Like sanantone's post:
  • 2L8, Leedeedee, Life Long Learning, Toastmaster
(06-06-2019, 09:59 PM)sanantone Wrote: Those aren't Ivy League schools. Those are just expensive, private schools.

lol , in my CC , she marked them as ivy leagues. Expensive indeed.
I would say it depends on your ambition. If you hope to be head of nursing at a prestigious hospital some day, there might be some merit in what she says, but thinking you're automatically going to make X more because you attended NYU is a bit silly. I think most students should concentrate on getting a good education, and keeping the loans to a minimum.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • 2L8, hsfamfun
I work at a major "prestigious" Hospital. Not as big as some of the big ones in big cities but in a ritsy area in California.
I haven't seen an ivy league nurse or executive for that matter. Doctors yes a few if them but nurses, managers, nursing managers and others not so much.
Our CEO has ASU under his belt the senior VP in my department is a Cal State graduate.
The closest that we have in our executive team is UCLA and she is well lets say that rocks is usually part of an expression used here. We did have USC once but she resigned, due to politics is my guess..
What I have seen is that politics and who you know plays a big part and how high and how fast you move up the ladder.
Experience and certifications in different areas also play a part from what I have seen.
The nurses do love putting their degrees and certifications after their name. It Wil be something like Jane Doe, MSN, BSN, RN, CRN, CCRN and things like that. A lot of the nurse managers do hold MBAs.
I haven't seen schools be part of the alphabet soup equation.
I think it may help in perhaps getting a job sooner but I don't know. There is a shortage of experienced nurses and I think magnet hospitals are asking for a BS in nursing from most nurses.
(06-06-2019, 11:07 PM)Rustydroid Wrote: I work at a major "prestigious" Hospital. Not as big as some of the big ones in big cities but in a ritsy area in California.
I haven't seen an ivy league nurse or executive for that matter. Doctors yes a few if them but nurses, managers, nursing managers and others not so much.
Our CEO has ASU under his belt the senior VP in my department is a Cal State graduate.
The closest that we have in our executive team is UCLA and she is well lets say that rocks is usually part of an expression used here. We did have USC once but she resigned, due to politics is my guess..
What I have seen is that politics and who you know plays a big part and how high and how fast you move up the ladder.
Experience and certifications in different areas also play a part from what I have seen.
The nurses do love putting their degrees and certifications after their name. It Wil be something like Jane Doe, MSN, BSN, RN, CRN, CCRN and things like that. A lot of the nurse managers do hold MBAs.
I haven't seen schools be part of the alphabet soup equation.
I think it may help in perhaps getting a job sooner but I don't know. There is a shortage of experienced nurses and I think magnet hospitals are asking for a BS in nursing from most nurses.

Thanks Wink , how is Cal State if you don't mind me asking?
(06-06-2019, 11:26 PM)2L8 Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 11:07 PM)Rustydroid Wrote: I work at a major "prestigious" Hospital. Not as big as some of the big ones in big cities but in a ritsy area in California.

There are 23 different Cal State schools, so you'd have to know which one.  I think he was referring to the fact that the guy just went to a regular old state school, nothing prestigious there.

IMHO, I wouldn't spend a dime more than necessary to become an RN.  Now, if you wanted a BSN, you MIGHT consider that, but I still wouldn't.  If you started working at a hospital that offered to pay for your MSN, or another degree, and the sky was the limit, then sure, go crazy.  But other than that, there is really no need to spend a lot of money when you don't have to.  Nursing is an in-demand profession, so there's no need to try to stand out with an expensive degree.

And, CC advisors aren't who I'm going to listen to about where I should go to school.  No offense, but why aren't they at NYU if they think you should be??
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • 2L8, cookderosa, davewill
(06-07-2019, 12:39 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 11:26 PM)2L8 Wrote:

There are 23 different Cal State schools, so you'd have to know which one.  I think he was referring to the fact that the guy just went to a regular old state school, nothing prestigious there.

IMHO, I wouldn't spend a dime more than necessary to become an RN.  Now, if you wanted a BSN, you MIGHT consider that, but I still wouldn't.  If you started working at a hospital that offered to pay for your MSN, or another degree, and the sky was the limit, then sure, go crazy.  But other than that, there is really no need to spend a lot of money when you don't have to.  Nursing is an in-demand profession, so there's no need to try to stand out with an expensive degree.

And, CC advisors aren't who I'm going to listen to about where I should go to school.  No offense, but why aren't they at NYU if they think you should be??
  Well when it comes to my CC , no one really has even been out of that city let alone the state. It just seems crazy to spend that much money because such and such went there and because of the name? Plus you're not gonna be " That nurse from a prestige school" in the hospital just a nurse , lol . Besides learning to become the best nurse I can be , I'm very worried about student loans too.
does your CC have their own AA Nursing program ? That would be the cheapest. Once you've done that, you could start working as a nurse, and continue on with a BS RN online/hybrid/part time program (please check your states requirements on this) while you work.
just go to a public university in your state
it will be cheap because you'll get in-state tuition for being a resident
if you ever want the "NYU experience" (whatever your counselor thinks that is) then go there for your Masters Nurse Practitioner degree
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • davewill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 1 81 2 hours ago
Last Post: Duneranger
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,813 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 319 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,672 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,152 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,676 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,313 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Shocked The Secret of Why You Will NEVER Get Into an Ivy League School Part 2 LevelUP 10 1,309 06-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 987 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,872 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema