Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
people who have multiple degrees
(10-06-2024, 02:11 PM)Randyb100 Wrote:
(09-25-2024, 02:35 PM)TINASAM Wrote: I'm currently in the middle of some graduate credits / degrees, but at the end of this mess I will have two associate degrees, a bachelor's, three master degrees, and a Ph.D. The master degrees let me do lower level college teaching remotely as an adjunct and I have zero need for tenure track or anything other than adjunct work. The Ph.D. will allow me to do upper level teaching and help lend some better credibly to me teaching than with just my masters', as well as give me a boost if I ever want to do in-person teaching locally (which I do not think my health would allow, but it'd give me the opportunity).

This is my plan but I was looking at doing a bunch of graduate certificates if I can find more that have at least 18 credit hours. Otherwise I'd have to do 2 similar ones or another degree to qualify to be an adjunct.

Did you pay out of pocket? I'm assuming most of these people just took out grad loans. There's tons of stories of people with 500k+ in debt that's just forgiven after PSLF or 20 years all over the internet.

The two associate degrees were nearly free (one is Pierpont and the other I got with transfer credits while getting my bachelor degree). The bachelor degree was free during COVID when the free bachelor degree thing was still available from Franklin University with the Union plan. My Master degree is about $11k or so. The Ph.D. is going to be around $27k? I believe. I'm getting a student loan for the master and the phd. The other two masters degrees will be $900 because one is the Elmwood $900 thing and the other is free at where I'm teaching (they allow teachers to take a free class each term to get another degree).
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - May 2025
M.Ed - UoPeople - April 2027

Up Next:
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees:
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

(09-25-2024, 01:28 AM)Duneranger Wrote: I think there is a large disconnect on this board for what a PhD is and isn't. This isn't the same thing as going to a part time evening or online masters program nor is it the same thing as someone rushing through a UMPI degree in 8 weeks. For sure you should work and do these types of degrees on the side. A PhD is a different animal.

A PhD is more than a different animal; it's a beast. It is the most soul-sucking experience one can ever have. It minumim returns on several fronts. Take this with a gain of salt from me.
DNP, MBA, MSIO
Ph.D. candidate - Leadership emphasis in Business 96% complete
University of the Cumberlands
(10-06-2024, 03:46 PM)xspect Wrote:
(09-25-2024, 01:28 AM)Duneranger Wrote: I think there is a large disconnect on this board for what a PhD is and isn't. This isn't the same thing as going to a part time evening or online masters program nor is it the same thing as someone rushing through a UMPI degree in 8 weeks. For sure you should work and do these types of degrees on the side. A PhD is a different animal.

A PhD is more than a different animal; it's a beast. It is the most soul-sucking experience one can ever have. It minumim returns on several fronts. Take this with a gain of salt from me.

I agree, I feel like many people here don't understand this. Many think it is some advanced UMPI MAOL degree (or other CBE degree) you can ACE-credit your way through.

In most fields, it has next to ZERO ROI, but I feel like there is borderline complex on here about adding random letters or degrees on here from places that 99% of people have no idea exist.
A doctorate is a requirement for some types of jobs. Believe it or not, people do sometimes pursue things that interest them over jobs that might pay more.
-
Joe
[-] The following 1 user Likes NotJoeBiden's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-07-2024, 08:20 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: A doctorate is a requirement for some types of jobs. Believe it or not, people do sometimes pursue things that interest them over jobs that might pay more.

And sometimes it's for personal achievement.
Essentially, if you have the means to pay for the education or have tuition assistance/reimbursement, I don't see there being a downside to going after a personal goal, it could be a professional title or something else you're going for. Having an end goal for your educational journey in mind is great, going for it is better, achieving that is a dream for most...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Bingbong

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 7 1,588 09-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: wow
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 175 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 631 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  How do you achieve multiple degrees? Ariadne 5 663 08-19-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Twitter freaks out over person with many degrees RbxFunRocks 12 1,182 06-25-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 573 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 14 3,725 05-20-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 1,795 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 1,311 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 1,340 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh