Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP American Literature
Hi-

I studied and studied and studied for the american government CLEP...and still did not pass. It was ridiculous the type of questions that was on there. Every guide I had t ostudy emphasized knowing the constitution, bill of rights, etc. Barely any of that was on there....they had oddball questions and had me analyzing graphs. I was not happy. I need to take 3 more CLEP tests (9 units worth) to finish my degree. My next one I am thinking about taking is American Literature. Any thoughts? Is it super hard...? What are the questions like? Study guides? Should I not take it? I will take any help from anyone who has actually taken the test. Thanks!
ladeylock Wrote:Hi-

I studied and studied and studied for the american government CLEP...and still did not pass. It was ridiculous the type of questions that was on there. Every guide I had t ostudy emphasized knowing the constitution, bill of rights, etc. Barely any of that was on there....they had oddball questions and had me analyzing graphs. I was not happy. I need to take 3 more CLEP tests (9 units worth) to finish my degree. My next one I am thinking about taking is American Literature. Any thoughts? Is it super hard...? What are the questions like? Study guides? Should I not take it? I will take any help from anyone who has actually taken the test. Thanks!

[COLOR="Navy"]First of all WELCOME to the IC-Forums-Classroom!

Second, the AmGvt CLEP is one of those exams that throws many-many students for a loop. You walk in confident, take the exam and hit the "results" button with confidence and then find that you have just about barely passed or barely failed, there really doesn't seem to be any extremes with this exam.

As for AmLit, no it is not extremely hard yet it is also a very broad subject matter that requires a decent amount of study and prep. Aside from the IC-Flashcards, my recommendation is to study the "Idiots Guide to AmLit" and of course review the Specific Exam Feedback section.

Good Luck![/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Thanks...what about the REA study guides? That is what I used for american government...obviously did not help much. Would you reccomend that for american literature?
I just took the American Literature test after only preparing for a week and made a 56. I read half of the Idiots Guide and studied my wrong answers from the Petersons Test. I really thought I did better but I passed and thats all that really matters on the CLEP.
ladeylock Wrote:Hi-

My next one I am thinking about taking is American Literature. Any thoughts? Is it super hard...? What are the questions like? Study guides? Should I not take it? I will take any help from anyone who has actually taken the test. Thanks!

I recently took this test and was very happy with my result. I read the Idiot's Guide twice over, watched Dr Clark Closser's iTunes lectures, and read Sparknotes on some of the books I was unfamiliar with, or had read a long time ago. I also listened to some classics on tape through Librevox.org (Age of Innocence, House of Mirth, The Awakening, My Antonia, Ethan Frome) There was a list of authors either in the CLEP study guide or in the forums, and that list is spot on. Make sure you know the works of the authors listed. Good luck.
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
I didn't think Am. Lit. was too hard. The Idiot's Guide that's already been mentioned here was wonderful. I got the Kindle version for my iPod Touch. I got it immediately, and it's a bit cheaper that way if I remember correctly.

I posted about the stuff I used to study for that test HERE.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]
Does Anyone know where I can find flashcards for the American Lit CLEP? I was disapointed to see there were none on IC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,824 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  American Public University? nomaduser 44 6,142 05-18-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 55 9,620 05-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,535 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  European-American University Degree Mill elcastor21 21 3,648 11-08-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,688 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 674 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  American Dream Academy Course Limit? vintage_jacket 13 4,897 02-16-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 628 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,189 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket