Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
CLEP American Literature - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: CLEP American Literature (/Thread-CLEP-American-Literature--10360)

CLEP American Literature - ladeylock - 06-24-2010

Hi-

I studied and studied and studied for the american government CLEP...and still did not pass. It was ridiculous the type of questions that was on there. Every guide I had t ostudy emphasized knowing the constitution, bill of rights, etc. Barely any of that was on there....they had oddball questions and had me analyzing graphs. I was not happy. I need to take 3 more CLEP tests (9 units worth) to finish my degree. My next one I am thinking about taking is American Literature. Any thoughts? Is it super hard...? What are the questions like? Study guides? Should I not take it? I will take any help from anyone who has actually taken the test. Thanks!

CLEP American Literature - ShotoJuku - 06-24-2010

ladeylock Wrote:Hi-

I studied and studied and studied for the american government CLEP...and still did not pass. It was ridiculous the type of questions that was on there. Every guide I had t ostudy emphasized knowing the constitution, bill of rights, etc. Barely any of that was on there....they had oddball questions and had me analyzing graphs. I was not happy. I need to take 3 more CLEP tests (9 units worth) to finish my degree. My next one I am thinking about taking is American Literature. Any thoughts? Is it super hard...? What are the questions like? Study guides? Should I not take it? I will take any help from anyone who has actually taken the test. Thanks!

[COLOR="Navy"]First of all WELCOME to the IC-Forums-Classroom!

Second, the AmGvt CLEP is one of those exams that throws many-many students for a loop. You walk in confident, take the exam and hit the "results" button with confidence and then find that you have just about barely passed or barely failed, there really doesn't seem to be any extremes with this exam.

As for AmLit, no it is not extremely hard yet it is also a very broad subject matter that requires a decent amount of study and prep. Aside from the IC-Flashcards, my recommendation is to study the "Idiots Guide to AmLit" and of course review the Specific Exam Feedback section.

Good Luck![/COLOR]

CLEP American Literature - ladeylock - 06-24-2010

Thanks...what about the REA study guides? That is what I used for american government...obviously did not help much. Would you reccomend that for american literature?

CLEP American Literature - jgator79 - 08-27-2010

I just took the American Literature test after only preparing for a week and made a 56. I read half of the Idiots Guide and studied my wrong answers from the Petersons Test. I really thought I did better but I passed and thats all that really matters on the CLEP.

CLEP American Literature - Lyanne - 08-30-2010

ladeylock Wrote:Hi-

My next one I am thinking about taking is American Literature. Any thoughts? Is it super hard...? What are the questions like? Study guides? Should I not take it? I will take any help from anyone who has actually taken the test. Thanks!

I recently took this test and was very happy with my result. I read the Idiot's Guide twice over, watched Dr Clark Closser's iTunes lectures, and read Sparknotes on some of the books I was unfamiliar with, or had read a long time ago. I also listened to some classics on tape through Librevox.org (Age of Innocence, House of Mirth, The Awakening, My Antonia, Ethan Frome) There was a list of authors either in the CLEP study guide or in the forums, and that list is spot on. Make sure you know the works of the authors listed. Good luck.

CLEP American Literature - Elinor - 08-30-2010

I didn't think Am. Lit. was too hard. The Idiot's Guide that's already been mentioned here was wonderful. I got the Kindle version for my iPod Touch. I got it immediately, and it's a bit cheaper that way if I remember correctly.

I posted about the stuff I used to study for that test HERE.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

CLEP American Literature - jrd3820 - 09-13-2010

Does Anyone know where I can find flashcards for the American Lit CLEP? I was disapointed to see there were none on IC.