Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CALLING ALL EXPERTS: Heavy on UMPI Classes - Am I Missing Any Alternate Options?
Hi Everyone!   Shy

I have some questions, and was wondering if you could double check me, on what I have, and offer advice on what to start with:

Background:
I am taking clases at Sophia, but will be starting UMPI next Monday.  I'm still waiting for transcript evaluations of classes I've taken in the interim (post-application) so I'm having to work around a few unknowns.

Question 1: 

My Degree is for the BA, Business Administration, Management & Leadership.
Classes to be completed at UMPI below. 

Do you all see any alternate solutions for any of these?
  • Eng 211 - Eng 211, Art 108, or Hum 103
  • Bus 200 - Intermediate Business Computing
  • Bus 220 - Managerial Accounting
  • Bus 240 - Change Management
  • Bus 244 - Management Information Systems
  • Bus 260 - Leadership
  • Bus 321 - Human Resource Management
  • Bus 325 - Financial Management
  • Bus 330 - Marketing Management
  • Bus 335 - Organizational Behavior
  • Bus 353 - Legal & Ethical Environmen of Business
  • Bus 415 - Operations Management
  • Bus 440 - Business Analytics
  • Bus 460 - Strategic Professional Communication
  • Bus 489 - Business Policy & Strategy

Question 2:

I need to let Jessica know by Tuesday, what classes to start me in (I just found this out.) 
What classes do you think I should start with? 
I'm nervous, and would like to start with something that will boost my confidence.  I'm aiming to get a high GPA as well.

Question 3:

Is Sophia Visual Communication fulfilling UMPI 2D requirement?  The Wiki page says nothing at Sophia covers it, but I know someone who has planned that, and thought it covered it. So double checking as I've taken it.

Thank you all so much for the help - hope everyone is doing well!
1) Check the WIKI again, all the BLS plans with the Management, MIS, PM minors and the BABA M&L for recommended alternatives.
Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI

2) I would just go through the list by the numbers you have there, all 15 courses, minus a few more Sophia.org/Study.com transfers and you're ready to go through them one by one.

3) Last few posts, I read that it does... make sure with Jessica that it does and transfer that in as well.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • DolceDolce
BUS 440 can be the IBM Data Science Professional certificate. It may or may not be easier/faster than the UMPI course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(08-21-2023, 04:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: BUS 440 can be the IBM Data Science Professional certificate. It may or may not be easier/faster than the UMPI course.

Having thought this same thing and attempted the IBM Data Science Prof Cert. It is long and tedious, but I just took BUS 440 at UMPI instead this semester and can confirm, it is MUCH faster and easier at UMPI. Even if it changes to an essay in the Fall semester, it will still be much easier to take at UMPI, regardless of Noah Winslow's antics.
[-] The following 2 users Like turbotortuga's post:
  • DolceDolce, Pikachu
What about the order of the classes? Any suggestions, or just go in order by the number?
(08-21-2023, 04:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: BUS 440 can be the IBM Data Science Professional certificate. It may or may not be easier/faster than the UMPI course.

That's a great option to have!  I think no more certs for me, at this point.  LOL

I did e-mail Jessica this AM for class signup, and just decided to go in order and gave her my entire list for UMPI, and I selected the first 2 lowest number classes.  It seems that classes and their degree of difficulty is as much dependent on which professor you have, in addition to the nature of the course.  And with the new platform, I don't really know if they added their own content to it, or purchased programs through the vendor, or did a mix of both.  So without having other Brightspace students to follow, I figure it's all guess work at this point, as to what order to do this in. 

So here it goes ... hoping that the lowest to highest numbers in order work for me.  Smile
(08-21-2023, 08:15 AM)DolceDolce Wrote: What about the order of the classes?  Any suggestions, or just go in order by the number?

I am double major Accounting and BABA Management and Leadership, so my course path is a little different that yours. However, if the course difficulty remains similar for the Fall semester, I might suggest the following path for your coursework. You have 15 courses to take according to your plan. I'd try to whittle it down to 10-12 courses by doing a few more at Sophia/Study.com/Saylor Academy. Saylor Academy is preferable for me because I prefer to study and take a cheap $5 proctored multiple choice exam than write a paper/project, but if you prefer essays to exams, then plan accordingly.
  • Eng 211 - Eng 211, Art 108, or Hum 103 [Sophia]
  • Bus 260 - Leadership [Study.com course has quizzes plus exam only, no assignments]
  • Bus 335 - Organizational Behavior [Saylor (exam) or Study.com (quizzes, exam, and assignments)]
  • Bus 353 - Legal & Ethical Environment of Business [Saylor (exam only, took me 8 hours to study and pass it), Sophia (quizzes/essay)]
  • Bus 415 - Operations Management (Saylor (exam) or Study.com (quizzes, exam, assignments)]
Final Courses to take at UMPI
  • Bus 469 - Strategic Professional Communication
  • Bus 489 - Business Policy & Strategy
As far as yor previous question about the courses. Since exams are going away in the Fall, I'm not sure what projects will replace the exams in BUS 244, BUS 321, BUS 325, and BUS 440. Although BUS 325 is a long-ish exam course now (Took 5 days not including the wait time for Cody to affirm the milestones which was 4 extra days Confusedigh), BUS 244, BUS 321, and BUS 440 were short exam courses and I finished both in under 3 days each. I'd say that you should complete them in two parallel tracks that start with you enrolling in BUS 200 and BUS 220, then:

Track 1: BUS 200 --> BUS 244 --> BUS 321 --> BUS 469 --> BUS 489
Track 2: BUS 220 --> BUS 340 --> BUS 325 --> BUS 330 --> BUS 440

This is sort of a natural progression in difficulty and leaves the more time-consuming courses towards the end of the term. If you can get to BUS 469 in Track 1 and BUS 325 or 330 in Track 2 by the end of the first term, then you should be able to completely finish in the second term. I will warn you though. Use the Master Review Thread and plan accordingly. The last two courses BUS 469 and BUS 489 are LONGGG. Don't make the mistake that I did and add them with only 10 days left. I had to withdraw from them because I didn't have enough time to get a draft attempt before the end of this term. Good Luck!
(08-21-2023, 10:57 AM)turbotortuga Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 08:15 AM)DolceDolce Wrote: What about the order of the classes?  Any suggestions, or just go in order by the number?

I am double major Accounting and BABA Management and Leadership, so my course path is a little different that yours. However, if the course difficulty remains similar for the Fall semester, I might suggest the following path for your coursework. You have 15 courses to take according to your plan. I'd try to whittle it down to 10-12 courses by doing a few more at Sophia/Study.com/Saylor Academy. Saylor Academy is preferable for me because I prefer to study and take a cheap $5 proctored multiple choice exam than write a paper/project, but if you prefer essays to exams, then plan accordingly.
  • Eng 211 - Eng 211, Art 108, or Hum 103 [Sophia]
  • Bus 260 - Leadership [Study.com course has quizzes plus exam only, no assignments]
  • Bus 335 - Organizational Behavior [Saylor (exam) or Study.com (quizzes, exam, and assignments)]
  • Bus 353 - Legal & Ethical Environment of Business [Saylor (exam only, took me 8 hours to study and pass it), Sophia (quizzes/essay)]
  • Bus 415 - Operations Management (Saylor (exam) or Study.com (quizzes, exam, assignments)]
Final Courses to take at UMPI
  • Bus 469 - Strategic Professional Communication
  • Bus 489 - Business Policy & Strategy
As far as yor previous question about the courses. Since exams are going away in the Fall, I'm not sure what projects will replace the exams in BUS 244, BUS 321, BUS 325, and BUS 440. Although BUS 325 is a long-ish exam course now (Took 5 days not including the wait time for Cody to affirm the milestones which was 4 extra days Confusedigh), BUS 244, BUS 321, and BUS 440 were short exam courses and I finished both in under 3 days each. I'd say that you should complete them in two parallel tracks that start with you enrolling in BUS 200 and BUS 220, then:

Track 1: BUS 200 --> BUS 244 --> BUS 321 --> BUS 469 --> BUS 489
Track 2: BUS 220 --> BUS 340 --> BUS 325 --> BUS 330 --> BUS 440

This is sort of a natural progression in difficulty and leaves the more time-consuming courses towards the end of the term. If you can get to BUS 469 in Track 1 and BUS 325 or 330 in Track 2 by the end of the first term, then you should be able to completely finish in the second term. I will warn you though. Use the Master Review Thread and plan accordingly. The last two courses BUS 469 and BUS 489 are LONGGG. Don't make the mistake that I did and add them with only 10 days left. I had to withdraw from them because I didn't have enough time to get a draft attempt before the end of this term. Good Luck!

Oh this is excellent info!

Double Major?!  It's too early in the day for you over-achievers!! lol

Okay, I like the strategy of yours for a few more options of the classes at the top of the page.  I believe I do have the Art 108 covered by a Visual Comm Class I took already, which I now believe is expected to be approved for 2D.

I'm concerned of getting a good grade on these alternate test sites, because I'll be entering an MBA program right after, and they will want to see the direct transcripts.  Did you find it doable to get at least an equivalent of a B or 80% on these alternate credit sites?  I've been scoring in the high 90s on Sophia, but I have had to refer to some notes/formulas on the test.  Like in Microeconomics.  LOL  I'm not sure how I would wing it without a peek at my notes!  Are the tests similar to the study guide or practice test you might have had beforehand?

I just received approval from Jessica for starting with Bus 200 and Bus 220 next week!

I am officially enrolled.

Look out UMPI, here I come! I persevered through all your crazy frustation-causing processes and hiccups, and now I'm in!   Big Grin

Monday, I am an Owl.
(08-21-2023, 02:42 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: Oh this is excellent info!

Okay, I like the strategy of yours for a few more options of the classes at the top of the page.  I believe I do have the Art 108 covered by a Visual Comm Class I took already, which I now believe is expected to be approved for 2D.

I'm concerned of getting a good grade on these alternate test sites, because I'll be entering an MBA program right after, and they will want to see the direct transcripts.  Did you find it doable to get at least an equivalent of a B or 80% on these alternate credit sites?  I've been scoring in the high 90s on Sophia, but I have had to refer to some notes/formulas on the test.  Like in Microeconomics.  LOL  I'm not sure how I would wing it without a peek at my notes!  Are the tests similar to the study guide or practice test you might have had beforehand?

I just received approval from Jessica for starting with Bus 200 and Bus 220 next week!

Look out UMPI, here I come! I persevered through all your crazy frustation-causing processes and hiccups, and now I'm in!   Big Grin

Monday, I am an Owl.

Honestly, my plan is to continue with the CBE format for the foreseeable future with WGU for my Master's in Accounting (MAcc) and then South College for my Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA) in Accounting. Neither of those universities care about what grade I received in my ACE credit course on Saylor/Sophia/Study.com, so I shoot for the minimum grade that will grant me credit at UMPI and appear on my UMPI transcript. If you get a 81% or above, then I don't think that it matters much how much more above that you get. The key with these is speed and forward progress in my eyes.  

Regardless, currently there were no proctored exams with the Strut platform, so exams were difficult but not impossible. BUS 325 is probably the most difficult course in the BABA major, but I still got a 96% on the exam, so just make sure to read the material throughly, take notes, and do as many practice problems as possible until you understand how to solve for the problem if it shows up on the exam (which it will, especially NPV and TVM). However, Jessica has stated that all exams are gone next term, to be replaced by essays/projects/problem sets, so it'll be interesting to see if BUS 325 becomes more of a monster or less so.
(08-20-2023, 09:09 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: Hi Everyone!   Shy

I have some questions, and was wondering if you could double check me, on what I have, and offer advice on what to start with:

Background:
I am taking clases at Sophia, but will be starting UMPI next Monday.  I'm still waiting for transcript evaluations of classes I've taken in the interim (post-application) so I'm having to work around a few unknowns.

Question 1: 

My Degree is for the BA, Business Administration, Management & Leadership.
Classes to be completed at UMPI below. 

Do you all see any alternate solutions for any of these?
  • Eng 211 - Eng 211, Art 108, or Hum 103
  • Bus 260 - Leadership
  • Bus 335 - Organizational Behavior
  • Bus 353 - Legal & Ethical Environmen of Business
  • Bus 415 - Operations Management
  • Bus 460 - Strategic Professional Communication
  • Bus 489 - Business Policy & Strategy

Question 2:

I need to let Jessica know by Tuesday, what classes to start me in (I just found this out.) 
What classes do you think I should start with? 
I'm nervous, and would like to start with something that will boost my confidence.  I'm aiming to get a high GPA as well.

Question 3:

Is Sophia Visual Communication fulfilling UMPI 2D requirement?  The Wiki page says nothing at Sophia covers it, but I know someone who has planned that, and thought it covered it.  So double checking as I've taken it.

Thank you all so much for the help - hope everyone is doing well!
I'm understanding now that Sophia has a Business Ethics class that will transfer and cover this 353 Requirement.

(08-21-2023, 08:45 PM)turbotortuga Wrote:
(08-21-2023, 02:42 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: Oh this is excellent info!

Monday, I am an Owl.

Honestly, my plan is to continue with the CBE format for the foreseeable future with WGU for my Master's in Accounting (MAcc) and then South College for my Doctorate of Business Administration (DBA) in Accounting. Neither of those universities care about what grade I received in my ACE credit course on Saylor/Sophia/Study.com, so I shoot for the minimum grade that will grant me credit at UMPI and appear on my UMPI transcript. If you get a 81% or above, then I don't think that it matters much how much more above that you get. The key with these is speed and forward progress in my eyes.  

Regardless, currently there were no proctored exams with the Strut platform, so exams were difficult but not impossible. BUS 325 is probably the most difficult course in the BABA major, but I still got a 96% on the exam, so just make sure to read the material throughly, take notes, and do as many practice problems as possible until you understand how to solve for the problem if it shows up on the exam (which it will, especially NPV and TVM). However, Jessica has stated that all exams are gone next term, to be replaced by essays/projects/problem sets, so it'll be interesting to see if BUS 325 becomes more of a monster or less so.
That is so good to know!!

On Sophia, I worked hard just to get a 92% in Economics.  I had a 100% until Unit 3 final exam, and I was so tired, I just said "whatever", and then I took the course final right afterwards, without studying the other material from Unit 1 and Unit 2.  I was just ready to move on to Macro, which is today's topic!  If the grade from alternate credits isn't weighted, I'd like to move at a faster clip!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,449 1 hour ago
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 619 Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 4 443 Yesterday, 02:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 695 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 221 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 212 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  NEW UMPI UNDERGRADS -- USE THE DRAFTS ashkir 35 18,536 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DavidGood
  How to send Duolingo results to UMPI Solden81 4 290 09-12-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 19 1,298 09-12-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent
  Seeking Academic Writing Resources for UMPI BAS Degree garveymoshe 2 160 09-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: ss20ts