Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biology super cram - is this possible?
Ok I'm in a bit of a need to super cram biology. I'm graduating from Walden University and have only one math/science class course requirement remaining. Since I have already transfered a calculus class I must take a science. They have approved that either Natural Science or Biology CLEP will be acceptable. Now the rub. For me to graduate plus get into the MBA program for this term I must take the test before the end of this month - Oct 31st. Because it is my very last class and I have a 4.0 GPA they are going to accept a faxed copy and allow me to be accepted into the MBA program contigent upon the final transfer. Basically it will put me 3 months ahead on my MBA if I can pass this test by Oct 31st. It will also likely affect my final graduation day by at least 6 weeks.

I didn't find this all out until this past Wednesday and of course I started studying immediately. But I can see already this is going to be very, very tough to learn all this by Oct 31st. I've downloaded the Cliff notes, have the official CLEP study guide, Instant Cert, Petersons tests (haven't taken any yet), and of course the online biology book. So far I have probably 10 hours studying in and will of course study all weekend. My main problem is that I'm 39 and had my biology class in highshool 25 years ago. I remember nothing at all.

I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. I will study all day today (Haloween party tonight that my wife is very excited about so I must go), and all day and night tomorrow. I work during the week of course so I'm expecting evening study during the week. I'm figuring I should get about 25-30 hours of "quality" study time. If I fail then I can study harder and take Natural Science in a few weeks or a month or whatever. I was curious if anyone else out there was able to cram biology into a few days study or if I'm just going to have an excercise in frustration. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.
Back2School Wrote:Ok I'm in a bit of a need to super cram biology. I'm graduating from Walden University and have only one math/science class course requirement remaining. Since I have already transfered a calculus class I must take a science. They have approved that either Natural Science or Biology CLEP will be acceptable. Now the rub. For me to graduate plus get into the MBA program for this term I must take the test before the end of this month - Oct 31st. Because it is my very last class and I have a 4.0 GPA they are going to accept a faxed copy and allow me to be accepted into the MBA program contigent upon the final transfer. Basically it will put me 3 months ahead on my MBA if I can pass this test by Oct 31st. It will also likely affect my final graduation day by at least 6 weeks.

I didn't find this all out until this past Wednesday and of course I started studying immediately. But I can see already this is going to be very, very tough to learn all this by Oct 31st. I've downloaded the Cliff notes, have the official CLEP study guide, Instant Cert, Petersons tests (haven't taken any yet), and of course the online biology book. So far I have probably 10 hours studying in and will of course study all weekend. My main problem is that I'm 39 and had my biology class in highshool 25 years ago. I remember nothing at all.

I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. I will study all day today (Haloween party tonight that my wife is very excited about so I must go), and all day and night tomorrow. I work during the week of course so I'm expecting evening study during the week. I'm figuring I should get about 25-30 hours of "quality" study time. If I fail then I can study harder and take Natural Science in a few weeks or a month or whatever. I was curious if anyone else out there was able to cram biology into a few days study or if I'm just going to have an excercise in frustration. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.
>>

Ok, so it seems to me like you have nothing to lose. Cram on man!!!
Yeah, I think you can do this! Get the basics down -- learn the cell - you know. I'll be praying for you on this one -- you can do it!
CDM Wrote:Yeah, I think you can do this! Get the basics down

Agreed,

I haven't taken this exam personally. However, if I was in your position Back2school, and had only a few days to prepare, my strategy would be to pretty much ignore the complex stuff and spend all my time REALLY MASTERING the basics and average difficulty stuff.

On any of these exams, you will find that MOST questions are statistically of average difficulty (let's say 60% of all the questions). Then on either end you might find 20% are easy and 20% are really difficult. As a result, if you have mastered the easy and average material, you could theoretically answer 80% of all the questions on the exam, without EVER needing to know the really hard stuff.

Of course, it is unlikely you would answer ALL 80% correctly....but the good news is that, in general, you only need to score around the 50%+ mark to pass these exams. That gives you quite a bit of grace. Right?

As for the exam itself, I would strongly advise you to SKIP any questions that go over your head. Invest your time on the questions you CAN answer. Go through the entire exam answering as many of the easy/average questions as you can and MARK those that you skip. THEN, if you have time at the end, go back and attempt the more difficult questions that you skipped and marked on the first run through.

The reason this is useful is that each question is worth EXACTLY the same number of points. You can spend ten minutes figuring out a really hard question...and score one point. Or you can skip it to quickly answer five easy/average questions in the same amount of time...and score one point for EACH.

In addition, skipping to the easy questions on your first run through will boost your confidence and help to calm your nerves in the beginning of the exam. Then, at the end of your time, you will probably be in a better mindset to go back and attempt a few of the hard ones you skipped earlier.

By that point, if you have studied hard and learned the easy and average difficulty stuff, it won't matter much whether you answer the hard ones correctly. As time begins to run out on you, you can play the odds game and simply GUESS on the remaining questions. You will not lose points for guessing (and you might score a few extra points along the way)...but you will definitely lose all those points if you don't select any answer.

Hope this helps.

Do well,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
^^^ yep. Listen to him. He's where I got the "back to basics" speel. Worked for me.
Thanks everyone for all the support and help. Yesterday's studying went pretty well. I'm taking Brainlightning (kick ass neuro-suppliment) and I think it's really helping me with my retention and ability to stay focused.

Snazzlefrag - I really appreciate the detailed study and test taking advice. It's a huge help.

So far I've passed four cleps (micro & macro economics, sociology, and psychology). This one is going to be bear I can tell but I think some of the basics are starting to sink in.

Does anyone know the difference in difficulty between the AP biology and CLEP biology? It seems the AP Biology is more difficult but not by a whole lot. I've been using the Cliff AP biology the last few hours and I think it cuts a bit deeper which maybe a good thing now that I'm starting to get my mind wrapped around the basics. It seems the AP Biology study materials cut to the chase and don't have lots of extremely basic fluff stuff to mull through.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
I took biology in Sep 2007 after studying for 3 weeks, but all together I probably studied about 30 hours (using only the REA book). You have taken many tests and obviously know what study methods work for you and you also know that you have little to lose by going ahead and taking the test. Make sure you know:

parts of cells (plant and animal)
parts of flower (and which are male/female)
difference between: Vascular/Nonvascular
Angiosperms/Gymnosperms
aerobic/anaerobic
have a good understanding of the phases in the cell cycle and meiosis
know how to determine gene outcome from Punnett Squares

Good luck

Chuck
[SIZE="1"]AAS (Electronics), TESC-Done
BA Psychology, TESC-Done & waiting
Tests- Eng. Comp. w/ Essay-51, Principles of Mgmt.-59, Intro. to Soc.-62, US History I-66, US History II-61, Intro. to Psych.-68, Biology-55, A&I Lit.-62, Ed. Psych.-63, Soc. Sci. and History-63, Human Growth & Development-65, American Gov't-64, Tech. Writing-63, HTYH-64, Drug & Alc. Abuse-58, Org. Behavior-67, Prin. of Statistics-62, Intro. World Religion-68, Intro to Computing-403, Ethics-439. Research Methods in Psych.-A, Psych. of Personality TECEP-73, Abnormal Psych TECEP-74, Industrial Psych-71
Next-???[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Don't forget about the REA book and if you can, get the Standard Deviants dvd/video to watch when and where you can - Good Luck!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Back2school I sent you a PM.
I took the Bio clep today, and passed with a 60. I started studying 2 days ago using only IC, so it's definitely possible.

*note - I consider myself a good test taker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes avb's post:
  • SALLY4B

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Those Super Low College Admissions Rates Can Be Misleading LevelUP 0 849 04-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Super cool transfer tool - Franklin University cookderosa 11 3,403 07-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,926 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,811 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,431 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 2,206 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,978 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  How should I study for the biology CLEP? trus 7 2,830 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Natural Sciences or Biology - Possible? Dan A Million 41 5,906 05-22-2019, 09:30 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Newbie with Clep Biology Question Mom23boys 9 2,276 02-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Last Post: cookderosa