Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bachelor's degree FAST ! Advise please...
EDIT - This post was a response to a message that has since apparently been deleted. I'm not looking for a degree fast... :p

Any of the big 3 degrees can be had fairly fast... At a price.

My only experience has been with Excelsior so far (which doesn't take FEMA unless they're laundered through another school that does, like TESC) but it can be done relatively cheaply (around $3-5k total) but relies on your ability to take a good amount of CLEP & DSST tests in a short time (over the span of a few months). The biggest roadblock I see for a degree from EC in a timely manner is EC themselves, as far as course evaluations if you're transferring credits.

Otherwise, my advice would be to get REA books for the CLEPS (and a Comex book or two for CLEPS like Social Science and History, since REA's book doesn't come out until next Month,) an Instantcert membership if you don't have one already, and some of the other study materials for the DSSTs (which you'll need for the Upper Level credit requirements) and possibly and ECE or two (once again for the Upper Level credit.)

120 credits at this pace can be daunting, especially without a GRE Subject test to net a chunk of them. (Next GRE Subjects are in April, you'd get the score in May, and your degree wouldn't be conferred until November with EC, which is what I'm facing.) But it is doable if you have the time to study, the ambition to study and learn, and the money to pay for the tests & fees.

There's a bunch of 6 credit cleps that you can fly through easy enough. College Math, A&I Lit, Social Sciences and History, English Lit, American Lit, Humanities, Natural Sciences, Chem, Bio, and if you know French and/or Spanish, you can get up to 12 credits each on the CLEPS for those two. Those tests right there put you at over 1/2 way through your degree if you pass them all.

Also, EC is now offering the UExcel tests through Pearson/VUE which can take care of the English requirement along with a few others... (6 credit Physics test if you've got the knowlege for it)

Its doable... Its not easy but it is doable.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Sooo....what did you need advice about? :confused:

Edit: did the original question get deleted or something?
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Looks like the original post got deleted... Someone was asking about the fastest way to get a degree for some emergency teaching cert or something, and that they had 25 fema and 3 cc credits...

Ah well. Mods can nuke my post up there if they want... Shrug
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:Looks like the original post got deleted... Someone was asking about the fastest way to get a degree for some emergency teaching cert or something, and that they had 25 fema and 3 cc credits...

Ah well. Mods can nuke my post up there if they want... Shrug

The moderators had nothing to do with the deletion of this message...to the best of my knowledge. Posters have the option of deleting their own posts, maybe that's what happened.

The only times a post will be deleted is if there are sales links, spam or derogatory/inflammatory/rude/insulting behavior towards another member. We try to keep the forum somewhere anyone can come be a part of the family in a non-threatening environment.

Sorry, but "no nukes" today.Smile
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
Basket Weaver Wrote:The moderators had nothing to do with the deletion of this message...to the best of my knowledge. Posters have the option of deleting their own posts, maybe that's what happened.

The only times a post will be deleted is if there are sales links, spam or derogatory/inflammatory/rude/insulting behavior towards another member. We try to keep the forum somewhere anyone can come be a part of the family in a non-threatening environment.

Sorry, but "no nukes" today.Smile
Hehe, I wasn't implying that the mods did... I was just saying that you could get rid of this thread as necessary because apparently the original poster changed their mind about what they wanted...

It still has a little info. You could just change the title.
My original post was to question all of the experts out there about the absolute fastest way to any kind of Bachelor's degree... any subject... I need to complete one to be considered for an emergency teaching position at our local school (in PA) for next year.

I have been told by the PA Dept. of Ed. that the degree does not have to be course or certificate related... just an RA degree.

Lots of great info about testing out, etc. on these boards... I just need to put all of the pieces together quickly.

Thanks for the help!
Big Jimbo_46 Wrote:My original post was to question all of the experts out there about the absolute fastest way to any kind of Bachelor's degree... any subject... I need to complete one to be considered for an emergency teaching position at our local school (in PA) for next year.

I have been told by the PA Dept. of Ed. that the degree does not have to be course or certificate related... just an RA degree.

Lots of great info about testing out, etc. on these boards... I just need to put all of the pieces together quickly.

Thanks for the help!

How much coursework do you already have? Have you taken any courses through work or the military that were ACE approved? If so, they can be transferred over for credit through the college you choose. These are all important questions for us to help you narrow down the best school and give a realistic timeframe for completion. One year is possible if you have a foundation on which to work. I went from associates to bachelors in 6 months...others have been quicker.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
It would also be good to know what non-credit-worthy interests or education you have, that's a useful guide to what you can test out of most quickly. Like are you a history buff, are you really into psychology, science, etc. Welcome to the forum.

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,087 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 458 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,561 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 444 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,991 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,487 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,476 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,651 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 811 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 751 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77