Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLS Ed degree plan help
I'd like to get help with a degree plan for my 23 year old son. He formerly worked for my company in the blue collar realm but has decided to follow his passion for coaching/teaching. Thankfully, our family has a deep history in athletics, and he has opportunity possibilities to become a GA at a DI program. 

I am hoping to put together a course path through Sophia first and then other providers where needed, such as, Study.com for lab related BIOL courses. 

Thank you so much for your input. 

The courses he has completed are:

NMJC:
US History II - 3

Northeast Lakeview College:
Learning Framework - 3
English Comp I - 3
English Comp II - his grade was a D, does that count?
US History I - 3
Texas Government - 3
Intro to Speech Communication - 3
Federal Government  - 3
General Psychology - 3

Penn Foster ACE:
Art I - 3
Management - 3 
Intro to Business - 3
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

No need to go through SDC anymore for the science lab - 'Bio' and 'Chem I w/lab' from Sophia covers the UMPI science requirements.  Sophia is basically a one stop solution now for the UMPI path - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • namwen
Thank you for that information!

The D grade will not work at UMPI, TESU, EU or any of the schools we normally advise here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • namwen
(01-09-2023, 12:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The D grade will not work at UMPI, TESU, EU or any of the schools we normally advise here.

Ah true - with that said, they should take Comp II at UMPI (vs trying to complete it elsewhere)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • namwen
bumpity-bump

(01-09-2023, 11:02 AM)namwen Wrote: I'd like to get help with a degree plan for my 23 year old son. He formerly worked for my company in the blue collar realm but has decided to follow his passion for coaching/teaching. Thankfully, our family has a deep history in athletics, and he has opportunity possibilities to become a GA at a DI program. 

I am hoping to put together a course path through Sophia first and then other providers where needed, such as, Study.com for lab related BIOL courses. 

Thank you so much for your input. 

The courses he has completed are:

NMJC:
US History II - 3

Northeast Lakeview College:
Learning Framework - 3
English Comp I - 3
English Comp II - his grade was a D, does that count?
US History I - 3
Texas Government - 3
Intro to Speech Communication - 3
Federal Government  - 3
General Psychology - 3

Penn Foster ACE:
Art I - 3
Management - 3 
Intro to Business - 3

I highly encourage him to retake anything with a D. At a community/junior college, where the classes are ostensibly easier, even a C grade looks questionable, IMHO. The quick answer to your question is that he should stick with Sophia for now.

If writing is a weak point, I would take a more challenging English and composition like SLs and then transfer it in. After all, if he chooses UMPI he's going to be doing a lot of writing... might as well get over it now before much more money is on the line.
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • ss20ts
I would NOT do English Comp at SL. English Comp at UMPI sets up the expectations for how essays work at UMPI. Future classes assume you have that foundational knowledge, which might be a bit different than what SL expects. It might make UMPI classes more difficult later to take SL. Not impossible, since other students have transferred in both English Comps and done fine, but more difficult.

To practice writing at a low cost, there are a few ASU EA classes that require one or more essays. It would only be $25 to take one of these and get a grade. I would not pay the $400 transcription fee, but it's not necessary in this case. He wouldn't be transferring this/these course(s) to UMPI, just confirming he's ready to do academic essays.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BLS Degree Complete- Big Thank You!! dm.hans32 3 112 Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...Personal Plan & Progress wkshasta 16 584 10-12-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klone
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,191 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
Question New Here & Would Appreciate Advice In Degree Planning Aardvarks_n_scotties 6 336 10-07-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 26 2,198 09-27-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Seeking Academic Writing Resources for UMPI BAS Degree garveymoshe 2 222 09-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 4 792 08-26-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Kjnova
  BLS Minor in Management Plan mohelena02 5 472 08-25-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does spain/EU accept UMPI degree? Solden81 16 1,805 08-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  how to know which transfer credits will apply to degree? skinmasksean 7 553 07-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: skinmasksean